diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 3000TL HVM-24 Settings for Pylontech UP2500 24V Battery

BromhofBlonde

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for advice on SETTINGS for the Pylontech UP2500 24V (Lithium Ion) battery I have connected to a Growatt SPF 3000TL HVM-24 Inverter.
Both Instruction Manuals are either very confusing or decidedly vague when it comes to the BATTERY TYPE Settings.
The system was sold to me with a cable that said "Connect to Pylontech UP2500 Battery" on one end and "Connect to Growatt SPF 3000TL Inverter" on the other end - and I assumed this would make things easy. Ha ha.

I do have the 2 connected with the cable provided - but I still need to figure out exactly what BMS is, and how I get it set up.

My first query is that the battery charge level shown on the Growatt screen doesn't ever seem to agree with the number of lights showing on the battery. I've had the Growatt showing 100% charge, and the battery showing 25%
Is this because I do not have Growatt Shine set up, or could there be another reason?

At this point, I am struggling to connect the Growatt Wifi Dongle to my wifi network so my efforts have been centred around that. (That would be my second query - any tricks here, because I'm going around in circles!)

I will leave my other questions for later - my brain can only take in so much new info at a time.

A bit more background:
I live in South Africa where we have this wonderful thing called loadshedding. Our electrical utility is unable to provide enough electricity for the whole country - and they have a total monopoly on "grid" power. Loadshedding works in Stages, where we are switched off for 2-6hr at a time, 2-3 times a day. Yep, it doesn't take a genius to work out that we can be off for 18h a day. It's *great* fun, especially as these stages can (and do) change at a moment's notice. We run on 220-240V (when we can get it.)

Thankfully, we have loads of sunshine and we're heading into our summer now. More and more of us are jumping on the solar / battery / inverter wagon in an attempt to not go stark-raving mad (and in order to be able to get some work done...... to earn the money...... to pay for the solar that we need to work...... )

I have a Sunsynk system for my house and it was programmed for me by the installer. It merrily does it's thing and makes my life bearable. I might need to live on bread and water for the rest of my life - but at least I can toast the bread and boil the water to make tea :cool:

The system I am asking for help on is a backup system the HOA installed at the guardhouse of the Estate (gated community) where I live. Our security system comprises the main gate (access control), an electric fence that surrounds the estate, a camera system in the roadway and our armed response / panic button system.

We had a (non-solar-compatible) 1500W Inverter and 24V 100Ah battery which was giving us 3-4h backup power but it was unable to keep up with the ongoing demands of loadshedding.

Budgetary constraints meant that the best we could afford was the system I describe in my bio.

I'm a total newbie to DIY and I'm trying to learn as fast as I can, so please be patient with me if I ask heaps of questions!

TIA

Back