diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000 ES not respecting settings

Try increasing it to 2Amp to fully "counter-act" the inverter power consumption of 70watts. This is what I set at my SPF6000ES.

1Amp x 51.2v = 51.2watts
2Amp x 51.2v = 102.4watts

Report back later.
Ok I’ll give that a shot. Thank you

Good morning Hashley. Great trick. I set it to 2 amps and this morning my batteries are at 30% waiting for the sun Thank you for that. Is it a bug on my unit I cannot set the miminum percent lower than 30? I read that it is totally fine to dischage a lithium battery at 20 or 10 %. Curious about your 6000 SPF, does it allow you to go lower than 30% ? Thanks again..

Good morning Hashley. Great trick. I set it to 2 amps and this morning my batteries are at 30% waiting for the sun Thank you for that. Is it a bug on my unit I cannot set the miminum percent lower than 30? I read that it is totally fine to dischage a lithium battery at 20 or 10 %. Curious about your 6000 SPF, does it allow you to go lower than 30% ? Thanks again..
Good to hear that 2Amp works.

Next answer to your query:
There is 5% spread for these 3 settings:

Setting 21 < Setting 12 < Setting 13

Example:
21 Cutoff 10% < 12 Back to AC 15% < 13 AC back to solar/battery 20%

Notice the pattern?

Then again, I suggest you just keep the Setting 11 to 0Amp and maintain Setting 11 at 30% if you plan to discharge to 10%.

Good to hear that 2Amp works.

Next answer to your query:
There is 5% spread for these 3 settings:

Setting 21 < Setting 12 < Setting 13

Example:
21 Cutoff 10% < 12 Back to AC 15% < 13 AC back to solar/battery 20%

Notice the pattern?

Then again, I suggest you just keep the Setting 11 to 0Amp and maintain Setting 11 at 30% if you plan to discharge to 10%.
I think I do. I will try those settings,.Thank you.

Good morning. Just so you know my problem still the same. Only one morning I saw 30% but yesterday 18% and today 23%. I'll contact Growatt and see what they say. Maybe they upgrade the firmware as you suggested.

Attachments

• LESS THAN 30.JPG
    LESS THAN 30.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 1
Good morning. Just so you know my problem still the same. Only one morning I saw 30% but yesterday 18% and today 23%. I'll contact Growatt and see what they say. Maybe they upgrade the firmware as you suggested.
No other remaining option other than firmware upgrading. Hmm.......

I think it is more likely that your batteries are the issue.
If you have a BMS that averages, and your batteries are 18%, 23% and 25%, the master BMS should be reporting 22% to the Growatt
If you have a BMS that sends the highest under charge, and the lowest under discharge, you will get either 18% or 25%, and when the solar input is close to the load output, the system will jump between these numbers and be very confusing
If your batteries are not well cabled, or not matching, your individual SOC could drift quite far apart (percentages in the 20's or 30's)
If you have a usb to serial with the appropriate RJ11 plug wired to enable you to use software to interrogate the RS232 port, you can see what is going on in the battery.
If you have a screen on each battery, you might be able to use that to see what is going on.
If you have a lot of hacking skills, you can intercept the messages between batteries and log a lot of data.

Either way, you are going to have to prove to yourself that the batteries are behaving correctly, because other than what @AshleyL said about the inverter using battery even in bypass mode, your settings seem correct, and the behaviour of your Growatt seems consistent and correct.

If you have a BMS that averages, and your batteries are 18%, 23% and 25%, the master BMS should be reporting 22% to the Growatt
If you have a BMS that sends the highest under charge, and the lowest under discharge, you will get either 18% or 25%, and when the solar input is close to the load output, the system will jump between these numbers and be very confusing
If your batteries are not well cabled, or not matching, your individual SOC could drift quite far apart (percentages in the 20's or 30's)
If you have a usb to serial with the appropriate RJ11 plug wired to enable you to use software to interrogate the RS232 port, you can see what is going on in the battery.
If you have a screen on each battery, you might be able to use that to see what is going on.
If you have a lot of hacking skills, you can intercept the messages between batteries and log a lot of data.

Either way, you are going to have to prove to yourself that the batteries are behaving correctly, because other than what @AshleyL said about the inverter using battery even in bypass mode, your settings seem correct, and the behaviour of your Growatt seems consistent and correct.
Indeed, in fact, even Growatt battery pack may require firmware update too.

Previously, I encountered few users in this forum where their battery BMSs are reporting state of charge based on voltage level linearly to the inverter. One user was able to get a firmware update for his battery pack BMS and the problem was "solved".

Then there is case where user encounters one weak cell in the battery pack that ruined the overall SOC......

Thank you for your help. This morning the 3 batteries are at 30%. Go figure. I am a network guy and make my own cables and some electronics. I would love to be able to see BMS data. Where can I find documentation and software? Thanks again.

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for your help. This morning the 3 batteries are at 30%. Go figure. I am a network guy and make my own cables and some electronics. I would love to be able to see BMS data. Where can I find documentation and software? Thanks again.
Here you go. Documentation for RS485 for the inverter and the battery BMS.

Question, are you still able to maintain 30% in bypass mode?

Attachments

• OffGrid-Modbus-RS485RS232-RTU-Protocol-V0.17-20220622.pdf
    425.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Growatt_BMS_RS485_protocal_1xSxxP_ESS_V2.02-1.pdf
    977.3 KB · Views: 1
Indeed, in fact, even Growatt battery pack may require firmware update too.

Previously, I encountered few users in this forum where their battery BMSs are reporting state of charge based on voltage level linearly to the inverter. One user was able to get a firmware update for his battery pack BMS and the problem was "solved".

Then there is case where user encounters one weak cell in the battery pack that ruined the overall SOC......
Thank you.
Here you go. Documentation for RS485 for the inverter and the battery BMS.

Question, are you still able to maintain 30% in bypass mode?
Thank you for the information. yes. around 5 am we reached 30%. it switched to bypass mode and at 6 30 am when I look the batteries never went below 30%. So the big question is why one day work and another not? I will start invesatigating my BMS data thank you!

thank you for the documentation. I was hoping more for a windows GUI interface that could display status of each invidual cells. By the way you guys suggestion that it might be battery related was good. I disconnected them and upgraded firmware via USB stick one battery at a time
. 2 out of 3 did the flashing thing and came right back up. The middle battery refuse to start. Any suggestions? Thank you.

thank you for the documentation. I was hoping more for a windows GUI interface that could display status of each invidual cells. By the way you guys suggestion that it might be battery related was good. I disconnected them and upgraded firmware via USB stick one battery at a time
. 2 out of 3 did the flashing thing and came right back up. The middle battery refuse to start. Any suggestions? Thank you.
OMG. Did you just brick it by doing it yourself?
Growatt is famous for changing board revision with each board requires its own firmware version.
Did you check the board version before you flashed the firmware? Two of your battery packs might use same board revision while the last one might utilize another revision. That why I recommend you to ask Growatt to update it on your behalf either online or via remote control ala teamviewer/anydesk.

Try refering the manual first and see if you can recover it.

I do not know your exact Growatt battery model since you never specify it.
Therefore, these are link to two Growatt AXE and ARK firmware.

There is no windows GUI for retrieving the status for individual cells in the battery pack, just use RS485 to view the BMS data, refer to the BMS documentation on page 14 and 15.

Attachments

• 00-ARK-2.5L-A1-Battery-Update-Guidelines.pdf
    789.1 KB · Views: 1
Good morning. I did mentioned on January 24 the model of my batteries. It is the ARK 2.5. A Growatt vendor suggested the same to upgrade firmware. I did try the online Growatt approach. I logged in to update.growatt.com and no inverter nor batteries and no option to upgrade. The vendor told me that is weird but the USB upgrade works fine. I got the firmware from Amosplanet.org. I followed the same instructions that you have in that PDF. It went fine. This morning my 2 batteries on the latest firmware are at 30% as expected. So it sure looks like something is wrong with that battery. It is on warranty. So Monday if I get a new battery I should first charge it alone to 100% then install the same firmware, right? Thank you.

Hello everybody almost 2 months no news from me because that what it took me to solve the issue failed upgrade. So I share my findings here maybe it helps one of you. To this day, Growatt in 4 different countries don`t know why some batteries upgrade just fine, other won`t reboot, some wont accept the update. From testing voltage to testing MOFSET on BMS card etc I did a lot of Growatt recommended solution but only one worked. Get a J-LINK emulator, get or build a special connector to connect to the BMS data port. Get the latest firmware 0007. When flashing the software to the BMS board chip, it will erase the corrupted boot loader. After the upgrade is done re-assemble the battery per Growatt instruction. Be very careful. I now have 6 batteries running on 0007. Zero issue. My overdischargning issue is gone too.

Hello everybody almost 2 months no news from me because that what it took me to solve the issue failed upgrade. So I share my findings here maybe it helps one of you. To this day, Growatt in 4 different countries don`t know why some batteries upgrade just fine, other won`t reboot, some wont accept the update. From testing voltage to testing MOFSET on BMS card etc I did a lot of Growatt recommended solution but only one worked. Get a J-LINK emulator, get or build a special connector to connect to the BMS data port. Get the latest firmware 0007. When flashing the software to the BMS board chip, it will erase the corrupted boot loader. After the upgrade is done re-assemble the battery per Growatt instruction. Be very careful. I now have 6 batteries running on 0007. Zero issue. My overdischargning issue is gone too.
Congratulation on fixing the issue, your post on J-Link emulator and special connector will be helpful for others in future.

Wait...you have 6 batteries now? The way growatt batteries are being connected in parallel kinda......count as a disaster?
Can you check the amperage of each batteries when they are charging and discharging?

The reason, please watch this video from beginning to the end:

Ideally, you wants each battery pack charge/discharge equally (or close to same value).
Granted that each battery pack will eventually equalise themselves given sufficient time....but.......you gonna have 2 battery pack getting worn out first out of 6 packs total if you use growatt default wiring configuration.

Back