diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000 ES Huge BANGS! and flashes inside the boxes

Anyone running Voltronic Axpert series inverters? They have a 8K and a 11K model which looks promising.
3 x 11K models is under 6K (Euros)
Victron is around 12K-15K Euro + chargers, clamps etc. extra, extra...
As tempting as these all in one units are.. I simply wouldn't trust them enough as my sole provider of power. Admittedly you have grid connection so it's not such a big deal to loose battery power, but it's still a case of buy "cheap" buy twice, or have replaced under warranty if your lucky! And I know people have had a good few years of luck with these and similar units, but it's going to take longer than that to prove their reliability, and it's not exactly perfect so far.

Personally I'd stick to an inverter/charger unit and a seperate solar charge controller, reducing the chance of a complete failure. My Victron multi is around 10 years old now, spend half it's life using grid power and half on generator power, and still operates flawlesy.

But that's just my 2 cents ?

The supplier will send a transporter to pick up all the boxes.
At this point I think I will ask for an upgrade solution to a more expensive and trustworthy solution.
I still find Victron and the like prohibitive expensive though.

We will see how it goes. Running on grid atm. and my wallet aches with 0,27 Euro per kwh + the fees.
Ofc. this happened at the time of year with normally the highest grid prices...
Buy once, Cry once..

I mean I don't know anything but is it possible it's simply not syncing properly with the grid when it's switching itself over?

That seems like the type of sensitive operation a budget unit would have trouble with.

Deye have a 3 month delivery time here in EU atm. on the 12-14-16K. Need 3 for my 3-phase.
I was frakking hoping to get something this month...hm...

Victron costs like the double of Deye - yeah, nope. 90% av installations is for buses/vans/RVs and boats anyway.

Search continues.

Growatt SPF 5000 ESs parts quality...shait. Atleast this production series was. Bought them early 2022 and comissioned in june 2022. A little over 6 months and catastrophic failures as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
Got 3 pcs. of Growatts white WiFi sticks for cheap sale.
EU Spain location. Can send.
Send a PM if interested.

20230120_140401.jpg

Any update on your units?, mine also went off like a mini nuke recently. single phase, with 3kw panels hooked up

Sent them in some weeks ago.
They have tried to make it "user error" LOL
So, no menu changes for months and no external high voltage etc. makes it "User error"...
They are trying to avoid the warranty obligation.
This was with Growatt EU involved per telephone.

Still ongoing quarrel.

DO NOT buy Growatt. POS.

Mine have been cruising along with no issues for the past year. They have done everything that I have asked of them. And more than I expected at times.
I am curious about what caused yours to fail. Because I have (accidentally) done some things that could have killed mine. Yet they keep on trucking.

You have NO grid input as far as I know, right?
Maybe that is the part thats underbuilt or used sub-par parts on a production series I was fortunate to buy from ^^.

Atleast Growatts trying to evade the warranty issues like a greased up pig.

I done away with the grid input last summer.
But had to reconnect to it this winter.
So I have ran both ways at different times.
Currently running with grid connected.

Sent them in some weeks ago.
They have tried to make it "user error" LOL
So, no menu changes for months and no external high voltage etc. makes it "User error"...
They are trying to avoid the warranty obligation.
This was with Growatt EU involved per telephone.

Still ongoing quarrel.

DO NOT buy Growatt. POS.
Yikes, with the price of growatt being a good deal more expensive than the generic Chinese inverters like sorotec, anern, powmr, next etc..i thought they would have a better warranty policy.

so if they will not repair it under warranty, cant they repair you at your cost, and you pay?.....

You have send them all 3 inverters? I understood that only one was failing.

What's next? 3 empty spaces :)
I have sent all 4 in.

2 exploded internally, one after he other some days between. 28.12.22 and then 02.01.23.

3d one has been up on the wall the same time as the 2 "bombs" and it seems they kill each other so...95% prob. defective/damaged as well but no explosion yet ^^

4th one was a new spare in-the-box that unfortunately got 7 hours run time until no. 2 exploded - and again seems they manage to kill each other so...even with only ground and neutral common to them. In a 3-phase setup each L1, L2 and L3 live cable only goes to each inverter by themselves and are not shared.

All 4 was from the same production lot - therefore my theory on bad subpar parts in a production run as a logical source of the problems.

You have send them all 3 inverters? I understood that only one was failing.

What's next? 3 empty spaces :)

Deye (Sol Ark) 3 x 8kw in 3-phase setup (24kw total capacity), see my signature under. Already in place and working well, no issues.

I've learned to pay once and no crying later ^^.

20230206_113711.jpg

Last edited:
Deye (Sol Ark) 3 x 8kw in 3-phase setup (24kw total capacity), see my signature under. Already in place and working well, no issues.

I've learned to pay once and no crying later ^^.

Are they much more expensive?
Are they much more better?

I done away with the grid input last summer.
But had to reconnect to it this winter.
So I have ran both ways at different times.
Currently running with grid connected.

Going to guess the circuit board design and suppliers change every few months.

I have ordered CC's of the same variety from the same company and both have different internals.

Back