diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000 ES vs Growatt SPF 6000 ES plus

craka

I was nearly locked in to purchase two growatt spf 5000 ES , for a single phase (220-240V in Australia) paralleled configuration, to set-up primarily for offgrid solar with approx 14kWh seplos battery, with grid supply as in essence backup. .
But I recently stumbled that there is now a growatt 6000 ES plus, that looks to be an updated version.
I'm in Australia, there is about a AUD500 (approx USD325) difference between the spf5000 ES and the 6000ES plus inverter unit price.
Is it worth getting the newer unit? What are the benefits?

Can either of those Growatt model have compatible comms with the Seplos BMS...

That might be an important consideration if one desires comms or if you only plan to do voltage-based charging...

Can either of those Growatt model have compatible comms with the Seplos BMS...

That might be an important consideration if one desires comms or if you only plan to do voltage-based charging...

I'm pretty certain that the SPF5000 ES does. I'm assuming the 6000 ES plus does also.

I'm pretty certain that the SPF5000 ES does. I'm assuming the 6000 ES plus does also.

So what I'd like to do a lot when comparing two models, is to open up both of the specs sheets side by side, and do a line-by-line feature comparison and then make a bullet-point list on what are the exact differences specs-wise, in order to decide if the cost offset is worth it.

I studied the datasheet of spf6000 some time ago.

The main differences are:
- 2 MPPTs instead of one
- 2x16A PV current instead 1x18A(22A)
- nominal power 6kw versus 5kw

Sorry guys. I should have updated this. I ended up purchasing the 2x SPF 5000 ES, as in Australia that model is on the CEC approval list where the SPF 6000 isn't or not yet at least.

Sorry guys. I should have updated this. I ended up purchasing the 2x SPF 5000 ES, as in Australia that model is on the CEC approval list where the SPF 6000 isn't or not yet at least.
You should request Growatt to update the firmware once you received those two. Remember, DO NOT request them to UPDATE BOTH AT ONCE.

Update it by yourself is quicker and easier than ask Growatt for it. Why: The old firmware are buggy, even on the latest hardware versions Growatt produces. There are several minor and major issues known with the shipped firmwares that´s why a firmware update makes totally sense...

I studied the datasheet of spf6000 some time ago.

The main differences are:
- 2 MPPTs instead of one
- 2x16A PV current instead 1x18A(22A)
- nominal power 6kw versus 5kw
can i use trina vertex 550W solar panel with 18.4A (Isc(A)) on SPF6000ES 2 strings?

Attachments

• IMG_3261.jpeg
    IMG_3261.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 11
In the calculation of the current it is used IMP not ISC.
Get the full datasheet for the panel. That photo is incomplete.

Technically there is not an issue to have panels with ISC greater than the MPPT current.
The MPPT will pull max it could, limiting itself at 16A. The downside is that you will loose 2A. I mean you pay for that power but you cannot use at all. (pay 550W but you cannot use more than 490W).
The solar enthusiasts and careful with their equipment recommend to have strings with current below the MPPT current. This measure will result in less wear on the electronic components.

forget about growatt support. In Europe this is not present at all. Do it by yourself. google for amosplanet they provide everything you need for an firmware update. you can find manuals on youtube about upgrading the SPF series.

Back