diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF3000TL problem with LiFePo4 Battery - Solution: Lead added temporarily good?

dommike67

Hi all, I am a newbie to solar power.

My systems is:
6 Solar Panels Rizen of 450watts each
2 x Growatt SPF3000TL of 24volts
2 x LiFePo4 12v 100ah in series

Settings:
Max. Charge Amps 20 at 28 volt with float at 27.7

My big mistake is that I wanted to start with a small system and later upgrade by steps. I thought that in the first step only to use solar power in the daytime. It seems it is not very stable because the BMS of one of the LiFePo4 Battery keeps shutting down at less than 50 amps.

The other problem is if one of the batteries shuts down the whole system collapses even with grid power as the growatt needs 24v at the busbar.

Now I know that I should have at least 400ah of batteries for this system.

To avoid a sistema shutdown I added some Lead Acid batteries (4s 6v/200ah) in parallel with I previously charged to the same volt levels as I have seen in this video.

I have amp+volt meters on both batteries and there is little current flowing between them in idle (no charging).
Amp Loads are depending on voltages.

With a 1000watt load everything works, but if I go a little higher the BMS of one LiFePO4 shuts down.

Some Questions:
Can I leave both types of batteries in the system for some time (a month) without damaging the LiFePo4 batteries until I get a bigger LiFePo4 battery?
It is normal that the BMS of one of the battery shuts down?
I have checked the batteries disconnected and both of them have the same voltage (I have tried to balance them putting them 1 day parallel and charged parallel), but in series I get up to 1 Volt difference (14.2 +13.2 volts) in charging and discharging state. Is this normal?
How I can add a 24v permanent source to the DC input of the Growatts to avoid a complete shut down (house without power) even when grid power is available (My Idea is to add a Lead Acid, AGM or Gel battery)?

I hope somebody with more experience can help me and that I am in the correct post category.

Best regards from the Caribbean (Dominican Republic).

A lot of things happened then.....

I recently added 2 x 12v 200ah GEL Batteries.

I took both LiFePO4 batteries to shop where I bought them and it turned out that one battery is defective. As they said that I had a bad connection with a resistance I need to pay for the repair. The BMS is defective and a burned cell.

I am waiting for the repair, but I am planning to connect both battery types and add another 2 LiFePo4 batteries.

My understanding is that the GEL Batteries will protect the LiFePo4 batteries (Because not dropping below 22v). Sure I need to setup Charging voltages for the LiFePo4 (28.8 V) and the cutoff voltage (22V) for the GEL batteries.
I can not get to full capacity of the LiFePO4 batteries as the Growatt Inverter would shut down even with Grid Power.

The final configuration will be:
2 x 12V GEL Battery
1 x 24V LifePo4 100ah (The shop will give me a used battery when mine are repaired)
2 x 24v LifePo4 150ah

I will report some capacity tests when all is setup.

I was looking at the Growatt productline for my off-grid cabin and one thing that i noticed is that the data sheet lists the 24v version for lead-acid only.
Curious to see how your system develops.
It is a pitty the 2500tl-xh is only for ark batteries. Would have bought it straight away with for a diy LiFePo4 battery. Also the double mppt is what i need AND 100% waterproof.
Too bad.

The manual of the Growatt SPF3000TL and the unit has an option for Lithium batteries. Beside you can set all values (Charging+floating+Cuttoff voltage+more) manually.

Wasnt sure were to post this and I don't want to take away from the original post but I'm new here and didn't see how I could create a new post.
I have 2 48v Growatts and Im having a problem with my battery. I'm setup as SBU and everything is working great. After the sun goes down and the units switch to battery I then get 3 min then I'm on grid and charging the batteries then after there full I'm back to battery for 3 min...its non stop (lifepo4).

Ive been on the phone with Evo Battery and we worked out the settings but its still then same issue. I'm told that with the energy I'm using I should be getting around 2.5 hours of battery.

I started of with 8 Harbor Freight batteries confirgered to 48v and I was able to get 1 full hour out of those before charging. Could it be a setting that's wrong or could it be a bad battery? Any help would be great this has be driving me crazy for a week now.

Attachments

• 20211209_162031.jpg
    20211209_162031.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 9
What’s the voltage parameters of the growatt to charge the batteries?

What are you reading for voltages of the batteries while under load, use a meter don’t go from what the display shows for voltages.

How are you verifying those batteries are getting a full charge through out the day?

Back