diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPH without battery

ludvik

Growatt SPH work without battery, but show error "bmc com fault" or "Battery Voltage Low".
How to properly set up battery-free mode?

Setting #1 SUB
Setting #5 AGM (default)
It will still show battery low.
But, will work fine.

But if it's working , should be fine.
Without a battery connected, it will show battery error. Just ignore it.

But if it's working , should be fine.
Without a battery connected, it will show battery error. Just ignore it.
does not make sense at all for the SPH series!

I told you I can not find these menus so your idea can not be working on the SPH series.
And ignoring the battery error will not help either cause the inverter is generating 0V and that is what he had observed and me too now.
So we did not get any further.

I have no idea if the SPH models can work without batteries. I have no personal experience with them. Or, heard anything about them. Sorry

I have no idea if the SPH models can work without batteries. I have no personal experience with them. Or, heard anything about them. Sorry
yes, but that is the core issue we currently face. They should work as growatt has published, but they did not mention how.
This is the point or solution we are looking for cause right now the inverter does start and nothing else, 0 kWh production today with a 2,5 kWp array connected, while the long summer day had brought 15 kWh on our older 2 kWp Growat gridtie string inverter.

Thx.

I have the SPH5000 and can confirm that it will work without a battery. As Timselectric states, you do get an error about battery voltage being too low but it works regardless. I have suggested to tech support that a "No Battery" option be included with the Lithium/LeadAcid menu which disables the alarm but guess that was too much to ask for. :rolleyes:

then it might be a faulty unit we had gotten or the unit might have been configured by the dealer for the previous owner who had a pylon tech battery the dealer had sold to him earlier. But due to high demand the dealer is not replying to the previous owner nor me.

So I guess I will ship it back due to being faulty or not useable for people without such battery.

thanks a lot for all of your support !

then it might be a faulty unit we had gotten or the unit might have been configured by the dealer for the previous owner who had a pylon tech battery the dealer had sold to him earlier. But due to high demand the dealer is not replying to the previous owner nor me.

So I guess I will ship it back due to being faulty or not useable for people without such battery.

thanks a lot for all of your support !
Maybe try first to set "Load first" and battery type to pb?
It should work.

Maybe try first to set "Load first" and battery type to pb?
It should work.
no, that did not work out for us. I had been in all menus and forums and tried everything out before I finally send it back.
We will get a new one in August or so and hope for the best
thx a lot

I have the SPF 3000 LVM - ES Not working without battery (batteryless)
min PV voltage is 120v
The inverter show 134v input from panels but zero Amps

I have 6 100 W panels in series.
isc 5.21A
voc 24.3 v

Can anyone tell me how many panels I would need to operate without a battery?

I have the SPF 3000 LVM - ES Not working without battery (batteryless)
min PV voltage is 120v
The inverter show 134v input from panels but zero Amps

I have 6 100 W panels in series.
isc 5.21A
voc 24.3 v

Can anyone tell me how many panels I would need to operate without a battery?
That unit doesn't have that feature.

Ah, well I guess that it does.
Then to answer your question. You need enough panels to reach the chargers start up voltage. And an AC input. Although, my 5000ES will work without any other source. But not very well on a cloudy day. This only works with a single unit. When paralleled with other units, you must have batteries.

I just set up an SPF 6000 ES PLUS but suprisingly couldn't find anything in settings where I can select "no battery". It's a temporary situation until the battery arrives but we want to run it with solar and grid only to take advantage of the solar power instead of waiting for the battery to arrive.

So as you guys suggest above, I guess I can ignore what battery type is selected and let it run with the error/warning?

The thing is, if you do that, you can measure voltage (55-58V) at the battery terminals of the inverter, it tries to charge a battery which doesn't exist. Also, PV output is not being sent to the loads, only grid bypass is happening. Any thoughts?

Even if I get it working somehow, I'm surprised why Growatt would not add another battery mode called "no battery" and disable the battery feature. This way there would be no voltage at the terminals and also no error/warning when a battery is not connected.

Anyone able to share how to setup a single phase SPH inverter (aka SPH 3000 - SPH 6000) without a battery?

I do not see it working properly, it says "normal", when the sun is out, but the production of a 6x 500 = 3 kWp and 6x 535 = 3,2 kWp is not there or now in winter it had shown us 0,1 kWh yesterday.
I had gotten a brand new inverter but german growatt support does not really exist or only on paper cause it seems to be operated from cheap chinese labor force without language skills so they are using machine translations which usually does not translate directly from chinese to german cause those systems tend to rely on translating via english as their main base, so we get a chinese - english - german translation unless you write in english just to avoid the babylonian translation mess and get an english answer you can understand.

So right now I have set up the inverter accordingly to the country, date and time and load first cause grid first can not be saved. If I set it up and press save / OK it say saved but if you check it will say load first.

I have not found any instruction on the growatt website or any forum how to set up the SPH single phase properly as grid tied inverter (no hybrid mode, no emergency or backup power, nothing). We also do not have a clamp / amp meter installed (cause a grid tied inverter does not need that either). Just 4 cables from the roof for the 2 strings which deliver enough voltage and power (cause those had been connected before to a MIN4600 instead of the SPH4600 right now). And of cause the grid connection is also there but nothing else (of cause we have the usuaul 230 V system here).

Hope someone can point things out I got wrong with the first one 1,5 years ago and now the 2nd one which I got in December last year , so a model produced in 2022, while the other one was a 2020 production which I had returned.

SOLUTION tested with SPH 4600 (built 2022)

connect the bat terminals on the lower right edge of the inverter 😁

This will make the SPH 4600 switch its operating mode into a straight grid tied inverter as you know it from the growatt mic / min / mod series.

The 2 paragraph describes the solution where other british / americans hat told me that "float" in this case would not mean to connect or bridge the 2 bat terminals of the inverter.
1710762466090.png

And in the german manual it says "Bat Klemmen verbinden" which means: connect the Bat terminals !
You can ignore all the other sentences and paragraphs cause just this 1 or 2 lines are describing the solution.
1710764353871.png
And then the inverter will start to produce energy which can be viewed in the growatt cloud app and via browser.
Attention: it calls the production self consumption which does not mean the selfconsumption of the inverter but your the energy used in your home.

No other changes needed, just that.

And to make things even more clear:

in the display there is the inverter in the middle and the electricity pole right to it. If you might think as we that the arrows between both of these are missing then you are as wrong as we cause the arrows only show up if you measure the energy by using the clamp meter or 1 or 3 phase energy meter when it can detect the amount of energy you are feeding into the grid or from the grid.

As long as you see an electricity pole you can be sure that the grid is there, available.
And your selfconsumption without a battery will be represented by the bulb as the load the inverter is supplying.
Mystery solved after 21 months cause my first sph series did not produce energy and had been shipped back, got my money and then went ahead without an SPH till I got one last autumn and started again. Even though I achieved that this weekend it will be not that usefull cause the battery is coming and then I have to use this as a Hybrid. 21 months more or less lost.

I think it shouldn't have said "float" in this case. It should say "short" or "bridge". Because I think that's what you did as a solution. Simply shorted plus and minus, right?

I think it shouldn't have said "float" in this case. It should say "short" or "bridge". Because I think that's what you did as a solution. Simply shorted plus and minus, right?
Hard to follow. But it seemed like that to me also.

yes, but the english manual said to float the battery terminals and I had asked a native speaker what that could mean.

And he said: do not bridge it cause you can damage a lot. It would mean quite the opposite.
I spent 2 or 3 months since that advice till I found the section in a german manual which literally said: connect the batt terminals on the SPH

And that has worked instantly. Before I had no solar power production and now it is running with 8 kWp or 2 x 8 panels each 535 Wp or 500 Wp.

diy solar

diy solar
Back