diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPH without battery

ludvik

Growatt SPH work without battery, but show error "bmc com fault" or "Battery Voltage Low".
How to properly set up battery-free mode?

Setting #1 SUB
Setting #5 AGM (default)
It will still show battery low.
But, will work fine.

But if it's working , should be fine.
Without a battery connected, it will show battery error. Just ignore it.

But if it's working , should be fine.
Without a battery connected, it will show battery error. Just ignore it.
does not make sense at all for the SPH series!

I told you I can not find these menus so your idea can not be working on the SPH series.
And ignoring the battery error will not help either cause the inverter is generating 0V and that is what he had observed and me too now.
So we did not get any further.

I have no idea if the SPH models can work without batteries. I have no personal experience with them. Or, heard anything about them. Sorry

I have no idea if the SPH models can work without batteries. I have no personal experience with them. Or, heard anything about them. Sorry
yes, but that is the core issue we currently face. They should work as growatt has published, but they did not mention how.
This is the point or solution we are looking for cause right now the inverter does start and nothing else, 0 kWh production today with a 2,5 kWp array connected, while the long summer day had brought 15 kWh on our older 2 kWp Growat gridtie string inverter.

Thx.

I have the SPH5000 and can confirm that it will work without a battery. As Timselectric states, you do get an error about battery voltage being too low but it works regardless. I have suggested to tech support that a "No Battery" option be included with the Lithium/LeadAcid menu which disables the alarm but guess that was too much to ask for. :rolleyes:

then it might be a faulty unit we had gotten or the unit might have been configured by the dealer for the previous owner who had a pylon tech battery the dealer had sold to him earlier. But due to high demand the dealer is not replying to the previous owner nor me.

So I guess I will ship it back due to being faulty or not useable for people without such battery.

thanks a lot for all of your support !

then it might be a faulty unit we had gotten or the unit might have been configured by the dealer for the previous owner who had a pylon tech battery the dealer had sold to him earlier. But due to high demand the dealer is not replying to the previous owner nor me.

So I guess I will ship it back due to being faulty or not useable for people without such battery.

thanks a lot for all of your support !
Maybe try first to set "Load first" and battery type to pb?
It should work.

Maybe try first to set "Load first" and battery type to pb?
It should work.
no, that did not work out for us. I had been in all menus and forums and tried everything out before I finally send it back.
We will get a new one in August or so and hope for the best
thx a lot

I have the SPF 3000 LVM - ES Not working without battery (batteryless)
min PV voltage is 120v
The inverter show 134v input from panels but zero Amps

I have 6 100 W panels in series.
isc 5.21A
voc 24.3 v

Can anyone tell me how many panels I would need to operate without a battery?

I have the SPF 3000 LVM - ES Not working without battery (batteryless)
min PV voltage is 120v
The inverter show 134v input from panels but zero Amps

I have 6 100 W panels in series.
isc 5.21A
voc 24.3 v

Can anyone tell me how many panels I would need to operate without a battery?
That unit doesn't have that feature.

Ah, well I guess that it does.
Then to answer your question. You need enough panels to reach the chargers start up voltage. And an AC input. Although, my 5000ES will work without any other source. But not very well on a cloudy day. This only works with a single unit. When paralleled with other units, you must have batteries.

I just set up an SPF 6000 ES PLUS but suprisingly couldn't find anything in settings where I can select "no battery". It's a temporary situation until the battery arrives but we want to run it with solar and grid only to take advantage of the solar power instead of waiting for the battery to arrive.

So as you guys suggest above, I guess I can ignore what battery type is selected and let it run with the error/warning?

The thing is, if you do that, you can measure voltage (55-58V) at the battery terminals of the inverter, it tries to charge a battery which doesn't exist. Also, PV output is not being sent to the loads, only grid bypass is happening. Any thoughts?

Even if I get it working somehow, I'm surprised why Growatt would not add another battery mode called "no battery" and disable the battery feature. This way there would be no voltage at the terminals and also no error/warning when a battery is not connected.

Back