diy solar

diy solar

GStar 550w Panels?

Was wondering if you have any more comments or concerns on these panels. I’m looking at getting 8 for an off grid project myself.

Was wondering if you have any more comments or concerns on these panels. I’m looking at getting 8 for an off grid project myself.
So far so good. The system pictured is a low stress B&B cottage with basic lighting, ceiling fan, and minifridge. 2kw of east/west panels. I am not taking advantage of the bifacial aspect.
My only concern thus far is the panels are the size of a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. Not fun to mount alone.
I installed another 3kw of these on a separate building this week.
20240311_155423.jpg

Nice specifications for those panels. Too big for me to handle though if I did not have help. One thing I notice from your last image is the edge clamps stick up enough to put a small shadow on the panel face. Not sure what time of day that is happening so it may not matter much.

Nice specifications for those panels. Too big for me to handle though if I did not have help. One thing I notice from your last image is the edge clamps stick up enough to put a small shadow on the panel face. Not sure what time of day that is happening so it may not matter much.
Good eye. The clips do stick up around a 1/2". Since they are east/west arrays, the shading should have minimal effect.

So far so good. The system pictured is a low stress B&B cottage with basic lighting, ceiling fan, and minifridge. 2kw of east/west panels. I am not taking advantage of the bifacial aspect.
My only concern thus far is the panels are the size of a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. Not fun to mount alone.
I installed another 3kw of these on a separate building this week.
View attachment 202309
Great! Thanks for that update. Yes, they are a beast in size. I’ll be having a solar install crew do that as they will go onto a second story roof facing directly south with no shading. Running these at 4s into each of the 2 mppts on my 6000xp to run a small wood shop. I can more easily get better power from the main house. I just really want to do this!

Back