diy solar

diy solar

Gut check - am I crazy?

I never understand this sentiment. Baffles me, firstly the payback on a battery system is awful. Why would I want to kick anyone.

Electricity is a “ utility “ it really doesn’t matter where it comes from , a PV panel , a power station or from another country. Electrons don’t care.

Hence it’s all simply a numbers game , for me maximum ROI must be three years.
My ROI is 7 to 10 years. Depending on how much storage I end up with. And how much utility prices increase. I wouldn't consider that awful. I plan to hopefully live longer than that.

Where the electrons come from determine what they cost you.

My ROI is 7 to 10 years. Depending on how much storage I end up with. And how much utility prices increase. I wouldn't consider that awful. I plan to hopefully live longer than that.

Where the electrons come from determine what they cost you.
No not really because depending on grid loading and generator spot pricing , it could electricity via the inter country interconnector is cheaper today then the CHP plant down the road.

But I don’t care my day rate is fixed and my night is fixed.

Hence why does it matter where my electrons come from

A 10 year ROI is nonsense in my case. I’ve never held into houses that long anyway and spending 12-15K and waiting 10 years for a return is wacko , when I can buy electrons for no up front money.

22 years in my present house.

I think I just now broke even on what I installed in 2003, after 50% rebate and ignoring time value of money.
(i.e. I'm still way under water.)

PV costs after rebate 25% of what they used to be, and utility rates 200% of what they used to be, it is now a no-brainer (if your labor is free.)
Subject of course to the Photon Tax our climate-aware and poverty-aware government is trying to impose.
I think 3 year ROI presently, if CEC isn't allowed to screw it up too badly.
Right-sizing a zero-export system may provide shortest ROI.
Large price difference depending on time of use may give batteries (DIY or server rack) may also have ROI of a few years.

Back