diy solar

diy solar

Had EVE LifePo4 3.2v 310ah. Flames shot up. We got fire out.

CharlieBB

We decided it was unsafe to keep them in the camper so removed them that night. Now we are powerless.

Question, is there a way to have shore power... while we are stationary and until we can decide on battery bank replacement?

Have Victron Quarttro.

Been boondocking a decade plus with simple AGM battery bank and simple system.

Thank you for suggestions.

Attachments

• 20230701_162736.jpg
    20230701_162736.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 471
We decided it was unsafe to keep them in the camper so removed them that night. Now we are powerless.

Question, is there a way to have shore power... while we are stationary and until we can decide on battery bank replacement?

Have Victron Quarttro.

Battery cells need protection from damage, what kind of BMS were you using?

Last edited:
Sorry about your LFP battery. Glad all is safe.

I assume you need 12v DC and not just AC.

Most Victron chargers (or inverter/charges) have a "power supply" mode which should allow you to power your RV's 12 volt systems while plugged into AC shore power. This mode will put out a steady 12.8 volts DC (adjustable) up to the max charge current of the unit. Go into your Victron charger settings and look for "power supply" mode...

Be sure to fully isolate / disconnect your LFP bank before doing this - as it will potentially over charge any batteries in the circut.

Last edited:

Most Victron chargers (or inverter/charges) have a "power supply" mode which should allow you to power your RV's 12 volt systems while plugged into AC shore power. This mode will put out a steady 12.8 volts DC (adjustable) up to the max charge current of the unit. Go into your Victron charger settings and look for "power supply" mode...

Be sure to fully isolate / disconnect your LFP bank before doing this - as it will potentially over charge any batteries in the circut.

I found this out when installing our new system. Everything was hooked up except for the battery. I was plugged into shore power and heard the 12v water pump cycle on. “That’s odd” I thought, then realized that the IP22 charger was providing a 12v power source even though I hadn’t set it to do that. System is wired through bus bars. Wouldn’t work if you rely upon wiring everything directly to the battery (and battery is disconnected) unless you had joined specifically the charger or inverter/charger directly to the house 12v leads.

Have Victron Quarttro.

can you post pictures of your install? how did you have them secured where they just raw cells sitting on top of a plate?

can you post pictures of your install? how did you have them secured where they just raw cells sitting on top of a plate?
Right now I am looking for an answer to the shore power question. Will the Quattro not allow shore power to come in?

The "install" by previous owner is no more. Empty cabinet. All other components still in place... except the BMS, it came out with batteries.

Battery cells need protection from damage, what kind of BMS were you using?
Dali BMS. System was installed by a "professional" and has worked five years.

I mainly want to figure out a way to have shore power for refrigerator, roof vent fans, lights, water heater and water pump, while i sort out the battery issue..

Will the Quattro not allow shore power use if batteries are missing?

There are no batteries inside anymore. It was too scary. Thanks. We will see if we can find that!

Dali BMS. System was installed by a "professional" and has worked five years.

I mainly want to figure out a way to have shore power for refrigerator, roof vent fans, lights, water heater and water pump, while i sort out the battery issue..

Will the Quattro not allow shore power use if batteries are missing?
I'm sure you'll soon get a reply from someone more familiar with the Quattro devices, but yes, it looks like the Quattro will automatically transfer shore power to your RV, powering both 12v and 120V devices. Assuming the "professional" wired it up properly.

Which model Quattro do you have?

Wondering how to get at the Victron charger settings. The power to wall display is also off. I am pretty new toScreenshot_20230702_151547_One UI Home.jpg Victron stuff. I do have some phone apps which I am also new to.

I'm sure you'll soon get a reply from someone more familiar with the Quattro devices, but yes, it looks like the Quattro will automatically transfer shore power to your RV, powering both 12v and 120V devices. Assuming the "professional" wired it up properly.

Which model Quattro do you have?
Quarttro 24/5000/120-100 or 24/5000/120-2x100 Inverter. Product ID 2748 120v

Have Victron Quarttro.

Usually fire doesn't happen with LiFePO4. Something provided ignition.

In your photo, are the cells bulging? I see they are spread apart. Bulge would indicate over-charge, maybe over-discharge.

There appear to be scrapes on bottom of one. Were they sitting upright? Did metal scrape through and short shells? I think there is a modest drain but not high current when cases short. I'm thinking current flow etched that hole in the case.

Lets start with basics then. Assuming there are no indicator lights or any signs of power anywhere.

Make sure disconnected battery wires are not touching.
Unplug shore power, wait 10 seconds and plug in.
If no signs of power at Quattro, start working from shore power towards Quattro. Check fuses are good and voltage at every point.
Finally there power reaching the Quattro from shore power.

I am just up the road near 17 & 85 if you want help testing this.

That photo was taken outside, day after they were removed. Some scrapes were caused in removal. Not pertinent to original flare up. I am not trying to diagnose the LFP issues, I am trying to get shore power while trying to sort it all out!

Yes, there are gaps... they are loose on the ground outside. Yes, some were bludging. One has a hole thru casing, not done during removal.

Appreciate all the LifePo replies but just looking for Quattro / shore power solution for now!

Thank you.
20230701_162718.jpg
Standing loose outside on the ground.

Some say they can not cause fire. I assure you, we both saw fire!

Last edited:
I don't know Quattro, so I'm only paying attention to LiFePO4.

But if you can connect a couple lead-acid batteries you might get the system running.
Bypass through Quattro if you can, the other guys might help.
Otherwise, just isolate inverter outputs and feed shore power to loads. I like interlocked breakers as a bypass.

Yes, I believe you when you say they burned. Them venting alone (e.g. due to over-charge) won't cause self ignition, but a spark could do it. As High Tech demonstrated:

If you're going to use lithium again, figuring out what went wrong will be useful. After you're done getting the lights back on.

Back