diy solar

diy solar

Harbor freight.

dkeny55

harbor freight 100 watt amorphous panel system. anyone have any experience with them?

Your money would be better invested elsewhere. They don't produce the advertised ratings, the charger has a high rate of failure, ...

Unless you just want a cheap expendable system to play and don't care if you burn it up.

I’ve bought two sets and have used them for a few years with good luck. I run a small fountain w one panel and use the others in my gun club camper. Work good and I will buy again when doing a small solar project.

It's $154.00. 4 25watt amorphous panels, controller and 2 led lights on 10 ft leads with switch.

For $130 you can get a grid tie panel over 250W. Everyone starting out in solar makes the same mistakes. Education costs. You never find out what you really want til after you have spent money. That type of panel traditionally does not have a good lifetime. It is a package anyone can put together. It just won't be very useful.

I wouldn't say it's not useful. If someone wants to learn, overstress, take apart.... the HF package is good for that because it's so cheap. If someone wants to build a real working system, then it's not the best value.

Harbor Freight has their place. For someone like me, who does something once and then is done with it (whatever "it" might have been) Harbor Freight tools are fine. I built a roof structure on top of an existing deck in 2006. I bought an air driven palm nailer from Harbor Freight. It worked well enough to drive those hundreds of nails. When I was done with that job, I was done with that tool and have not used it again since, and in fact recently gave it away. I never was in the "convert deck to roofed, screened patio" business. So the difference between one from Harbor Freight for 49 bucks vs a great one for 200 bucks was the reason I went to Harbor Freight. For a professional who relies on is tools to make a living, it's a different set of circumstances. Things like a tool box to bolt to the front rack of my trailer.... what's the difference? I will bolt it there once and it will be there forever. I mainly like the free flashlights. LOL!

HF does have some things that are a good buy, and some that are......just plain junk. ie: I bought a $9 drill master 4” grinder I use for minor welding work 2 years ago, it outlasted my makita ?
I also have the original 45 watt solar kit I bought years ago to learn. Was weak at best but introduced me into this addicting solar adventure. The 3 15 watt panels now sit in the corner gathering dust ( ok I use 1 on the roof of a toy hauler to power two computer fans inside the outer fridge compartment for extra air circulation no cc needed, during the day at night its off) and the basic CC I use for an extra power connection for 12v accessories. The cheap 12v bulbs went south in the first month.
Back then the kit sold for $149 and it was a lesson in solar power.

View attachment 337

Yup!! I put in fresh cheapo batteries from HF and give one to everyone when camping.

LOL yep I’ve got a drawer full of those freebie led lights. For free they work well. Always keep them in my work truck and when the sticky handed poltergeists make off with them I just grab another from my stash.

Just heard about low light capability of amorphous panels and am only looking at charging AA batts and small stuff as backup in emergency and cabin situation

Just heard about low light capability of amorphous panels and am only looking at charging AA batts and small stuff as backup in emergency and cabin situation
It might be worth getting just for that capability! Mount one on a south facing wall to extend its life and stash the rest just in case of a emp or theft or other problems...

Somehow convert it directly to 5v usb and use that for battery banks, led lights during the day, and phone & aa battery charging.

Yes, the panels can function. Heck there are guys that have piled them together in droves, and use them to power dozens of batteries, and are happy with them... are they in ANY way a good buy? HECK NO. They are available all over the states, you can get them in a day, and don’t have to wait for them to be shipped.
For a true 200 watt system, get a pair of 100 watt panels and a decent pwm controller.
If you want more watts, 46v panels in the 300 or more watt range can be had in the 100.00 range... put in a good mppt controller, and get REAL 300 plus watts.

No way I’d waste money any more on HF kits.

It’s akin to lead acid batteries. They are available, and they work short term... add up the money, and the output, and it is a silly purchase.

Back