diy solar

diy solar

Hard to install Electrodacus?

Thought this thread was interesting

It was cloudy all day here. The smaller MPPT array was constantly 4 to 5 amps higher higher then the larger SBMS0 bank.

Of course you would. It confirms your bias.

60 cell panels are not appropriate for use with either PWM or MPPT on a 24V system. Period.

You MUST use 60 cell panels on the DSSR20, or you will waste a LOT of power.

Of course you would. It confirms your bias.

60 cell panels are not appropriate for use with either PWM or MPPT on a 24V system. Period.

You MUST use 60 cell panels on the DSSR20, or you will waste a LOT of power.
yes, that is true. that is a down fall of DSSR20. You must match panels to voltage of your system, but since good used panels are dirt cheap

yes, that is true. that is a down fall of DSSR20. You must match panels to voltage of your system, but since good used panels are dirt cheap

No. You must actually use 60 cell panels for 24V vs. the "24V" panels that are 72 cell "matched" to 24V systems. If you used 72 cell panels performance as a percentage of panel rating would be worse.

60 cell panels simply lose less with the DSSR20 because they are lower voltage and already closer to actual battery voltage.

Yes, that is what I meant(bad wording on my part). I don't actually refer to panels as 12v or 24v, but yes, 60 cell panels for a 24v system. You still haven't convinced me that if I'm using 60 cell panels with DSSR20 that MPPT is better. Trying to learn-I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination.

I just noticed on his forum Dacian purchased a Victron mppt unit and is currently testing it with a similar dssr50 and sbms0 setup side-by-side. I look forward to his results in the next few weeks. I'm happy enough with my sbms120 that in 2.5yrs I haven't considered switching but just added more panels.

I got his dmppt450 a few years back (I believe he only made around 50)... which means I could add another 10wk of solar, circuit breakers and some wire without any extra electronics hardware. I shudder to think what 10wk of solar would cost if you went with microinverters or an mppt controller. It can't all be used directly toward the inverter, but it can be used to heat my house or water (a huge chunk of why we often want solar and what we do with the excess).

I'm happy my entire solar charger fits in my hand, doesn't need fans (ie heat/efficiency losses), and I can email the guy who made it if needed. I'm thrilled I learned enough to avoid Chinese mppt controllers or American companies selling Chinese mppt controllers. I like that I have wifi to monitor it, but rarely need to use it. I love what I paid.

My sbms120 works just fine with 250w older panels and 535w bifacial panels, at the same time, because I did the math. You really need to unlearn whatever rule of thumb people that do mppt have been told. You need to do the math to set it up correctly. If you already own thousands of dollars of incompatible solar panels it may deter you from Dacian's system, but it helps that what Dacian designed is often used with some of the cheapest panels on the new and used market.

So the whole system before you purchase anything. I see good deals on panels around me all the time and discover the voltage is too high or too low, but I'm not sure I can blame Dacian for not designing a system that uses every type of solar panel. I'm pretty confident most mppt controllers work in this way and we all take it for granted.

People talk about the thicker cabling needed for 8s, 24v systems and I chuckle a bit. I maybe spent $20 extra on thicker wire for 2-3 meters of cable. The solar panels are all connected in parallel with 10gauge wire, which gets cheaper the more you purchase.

The only thing I would say is "hard" would be to read hundreds of people discuss mppt systems or systems with microinverers and then try to set up the Electrodacus system without reading his manual.

If you want a limited, primitive and low efficiency PV option (DSSR20) that doesn't have a current limit, it's a great solution. This is literally like cutting edge PV technology from BEFORE the mid 80s when PWM controllers were invented. :)

One person's primitive is another person's simplicity and elegant design. What type of system were you attempting to set up that couldn't be done with the Electrodacus system?

I have a 4000w cheap inverter using 200ah 8s 24v lifepo4 battery. The sbms120 keeps my cells voltages very close and I haven't reset the device in 2.5yrs. With my experience so far, if I needed more power and was off-grid I'd much prefer another independent 24v system (for duplication). It would definitely be a sbms0 and as many dssr50 as I needed.

I see zero benefit to "upgrade" to a 48v system or a mppt controller or an expensive bms. Zero. What am I missing out on? I don't miss the fan noise from the mppt controller... I don't miss paying extra... I don't miss the additional inherent danger in a 48v DC system...

If there is a real, lethal flaw inherent in his system, please speak up. If it is more "his system doesn't work well with other expensive equipment I wanted to use and is incompatible with the vast experience I have of mppt systems and high priced bms devices I've used over the last 20 years" then that is a different problem entirely.

Not trying to be adversarial here, but to learn and also not kill myself or burn anything down.

One person's primitive is another person's simplicity and elegant design. What type of system were you attempting to set up that couldn't be done with the Electrodacus system?

14S NMC battery.

I see zero benefit to "upgrade" to a 48v system or a mppt controller or an expensive bms. Zero. What am I missing out on? I don't miss the fan noise from the mppt controller...

Mine's completely silent.

I don't miss paying extra...

I still see you paying a premium for low value.

I don't miss the additional inherent danger in a 48v DC system...

LOL... Fearmonger much?

Not trying to be adversarial here,

Generally, this is said by someone who has taken an adversarial position. I've been known to say, "not trying to be a dick, but..." and that's because I know I'm probably coming off as dickish.

but to learn and also not kill myself or burn anything down.

Please explain how this statement is relevant. It feels... both adversarial and irrelevant or at least fear-mongery again.

I saw my purchase as directly economically supporting someone I hope will be around in a few years to build other products (or maybe help me troubleshoot). I could have easily spent a lot more money on Aliexpress or Amazon and received various black boxes that I wired together with no understanding of what is occurring on the circuit boards.

I maybe read it wrong but you seemed to imply there was some inherent flaw in his system. It has been worry free for 2.5 years so if I'm living dangerously I'd like to know. In regards to fearmongering, I've seen the various videos of poorly made dc solar circuit breakers attempting to handle large voltages as well as a failed arcing high voltage switches. I trust the people with more knowledge than me to have a higher level of concern for 50V+ DC in homes and do think it a valid concern. It doesn't feel right to call that fearmongering. And then there is the price difference on all those higher voltage switches and often the more limited selection. I've been impressed with all the 24v appliances I can pretty much run directly from the battery, perhaps that is somewhat true of 48v as well.

Instead, if you want 14s for "reasons" or because you already owned it, great. From my understanding it would theoretically be possible to have two or four of these sbms0 together to have a 48v or 96v system, but that does get a bit more complicated. But literally to go from 24v to 48v would cost around $140 plus two extra shunts and some wires.

I checked last night and my cells were around 9mV apart and not much more than that as they are charging throughout the day, so other than one person on his forum who can't seem to get his cells to balance properly with the sbms0 I can't find a compelling reason to spend hundreds more on another bms of the size I would need. I know some have the sbms0 and also use another bms, but haven't been convinced by their concerns. The way Dacian does it, there really isn't a limit to the bms. I don't need to spend extra if I want a 100a or 250a or 500a bms. If there is a reason this is bad, I'd like to know before I build a system for my brother-in-law.

Currently, a smbs0 is less expensive than a large Chinese bms (not to be overly negative to Chinese products, but generally if they break you buy a new one, you don't email the creator and figure out which part needs removed and resoldered). I can see how many of the mppt chargers, due to their design, tend to lead people down the road of higher voltages to get the most bang for your buck.

It was interesting the dssr50 weighs 0.15kg and the Victron mppt (also fanless) weighs 1.5kg. Again, elegant and effective vs one of the most commonly recommended systems. Seems as if your complaints imply that you are comparing it to a $20 pwm charger that could do 20a and you just get a blinking lcd screen with no real idea of what is happening at any time... It feels like you are comparing Electrodacus to that, instead of what it actually is. A full comparison of costs would not seem to suggest it is overpriced, especially over the lifetime of the unit.

I still haven't found anything comparable on pricing when it comes to getting solar energy into a battery. I don't come here to antagonize people, apologies. I also like eggos. :)

Back