diy solar

diy solar

Has anyone build this system?

LarryC

Larry N7LUF
I am wondering if anyone other then myself building this system.
I ordered the BigBattery 24V LiFePO4 Powerwall this AM and waiting to hear about 2400w 24V 110Vac Solar Inverter + 60A battery charger + 80A MPPT solar charger.
Would like to share information with you.

I am wondering if anyone other then myself building this system.
I ordered the BigBattery 24V LiFePO4 Powerwall this AM and waiting to hear about 2400w 24V 110Vac Solar Inverter + 60A battery charger + 80A MPPT solar charger.
Would like to share information with you.

Hi Larry,
Did you build this system yet?

Hey Jason,
I'm trying to figure this stuff out. I have 2 of the byd batteries on wheels. I tried connecting them today, 1 is showing 22.8v and beeps when switching the breakers on but the all in one stays on. The 2nd one shows 25.4v and beeps for a second then stops, But the all in one shuts off.
Do you know what might be causing this behavior?
I would have thought it would do the opposite...

Hey Jason,
I'm trying to figure this stuff out. I have 2 of the byd batteries on wheels. I tried connecting them today, 1 is showing 22.8v and beeps when switching the breakers on but the all in one stays on. The 2nd one shows 25.4v and beeps for a second then stops, But the all in one shuts off.
Do you know what might be causing this behavior?
I would have thought it would do the opposite...
Start out by charging each one seperatly to 26.5V. Then just let them sit for a day. If they fall to less than 26.4V then contact the seller. They should not self discharge less than that.

I think the bms is in cell protection mode with on the one that is just turning off.

Start out by charging each one seperatly to 26.5V. Then just let them sit for a day. If they fall to less than 26.4V then contact the seller. They should not self discharge less than that.

I think the bms is in cell protection mode with on the one that is just turning off.
Thanks Jason,
I figured it was low v cutoff, I was trying to connect them and some solar to charge but clouds got in the way.
I should be getting a charger today then I will have to plug into the generator to charge them up.
How would you advise charging, both together or separately?
Snowing now...

Thanks Jason,
I figured it was low v cutoff, I was trying to connect them and some solar to charge but clouds got in the way.
I should be getting a charger today then I will have to plug into the generator to charge them up.
How would you advise charging, both together or separately?
Snowing now...

Until you get a charger, you can connect the + to the + and the - to the -. They will passively equalize when in parallel.

When I got mine, they were all 23.3V or 23.6V. I connected mine all together and started charging. But with yours being so apart voltage wise, it's not the best thing to do.

Until you get a charger, you can connect the + to the + and the - to the -. They will passively equalize when in parallel.

When I got mine, they were all 23.3V or 23.6V. I connected mine all together and started charging. But with yours being so apart voltage wise, it's not the best thing to do.
Ok, thanks Jason.
I figured I would try that but I have my charger and am about to connect it to 1 battery only. I have the top off right now and am trying to figue out the best place to connect the leads.
I have 2 positive leads on 2 sides of the circuit breaker, what side is best?
2 negative connections on on sides of the BMS. Which one is best?
2 little insulated alligator clips from the power suplly "Long Wei DC PS 3010".
Charge at 30v?

Ok, I made some pole connectors and am charging the BYD batteries separately to get them close via the cable ends.
What is the preferred method for charging these? My first LifeP04 batteries and solar system like this.
20200327_163800.jpg

Ok, I made some pole connectors and am charging the BYD batteries separately to get them close via the cable ends.
What is the preferred method for charging these? My first LifeP04 batteries and solar system like this.
View attachment 9819
Red to Red, Black to Black. :)
Remember these are industrial batteries and can handle way more amps than you think.
I send 20 amps to 8 packs, so each pack normally only gets 2.5 amps.
If you set the charger to 10 amps, the battery will probably charge in about an hour. Go for 26.65V since you have 4 digit charger. When the amps finally start to show less than 1. The battery will be good, start on the other.

With such a bench power supply you can very easily replicate the behaviour of a standard battery charger. Set the CC current to whatever the cables can safely carry and CV to whatever SoC you want to charge them to e.g. 3.65V per cell for 100% SoC (4S: 14.6V, 8S: 29.2V). A battery is usually considered fully charged when current drops to C/100 (e.g. 1A for a 100AH battery).

Hi guys, I’m new to life po4 batteries as well.

I purchased 3 24V LiFePO4 Powerwalls from Big battery.

I have a Schnider Zantrex 4024 inverter, so I will stay 24v.

I’ll need to reset the inverter for the life po4 battery.

Should I get rid of the Anderson connectors so I can connect the positive and negative at opposite ends of the battery? Or would this cause a problem with the BMS on each battery?

Back