diy solar

diy solar

Has anyone dealt with Microgreen.ca?

Dave C

Hi all,

I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to solar. I live in the Montreal area and our neighbourhood looses power whenever there is a storm. I am looking to set up a system to basically keep my two refrigerators and a small chest freezer running during a power outage.
I have contacted Microgreen.ca for a quote which I have included below. I am ready to spend this kind of money if needed and would appreciate any advice and if anyone has dealt with Microgreen.ca, feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sr. NoProductQty
14K Power Pak Inverter1
2365-watt REC Solar Panels3
3Racking System3
4Energy Pak “EP24200” 5.1KWH 24V Lithium Battery1
5Cable kit - 6 ft battery cables, 25 ft MC4 cables1
Shipping Included

Kit Price: $7,710 $6,599

*HST is not included

Hi - My work is pretty close to their office, been several times. My Victron supplier sent me to them for some 2/0 cable I needed, I also got my CIGS panels from them as well. They are a brick and morter store that have been around for several years, and while I haven't made the kind of purchases like yours I can confirm they're legit.

I can't vouch for Microgreen.ca as I had not heard of them, but I also have not heard of your listed components and so also do not know of the component specs and so do not know of their value based on your quote. If you haven't done it already, do an energy audit and read and search through the many posts in these forums either for the components, other Canadian suppliers (there are few) and for your intended set up before you spend the money? It would also be more helpful to have individual prices of your components vs just a Kit Price. Kits are rarely good value vs putting together individual components. Also, are you doing the DIY or are you having this installed? That's a lot of money just to feed 2 refrigerators and a chest freezer? Has anyone done a site survey of your solar potential?

I can vouch for Solacity.ca in Ottawa, as I have purchased from them and received great service and the owner has been on this forum before and their website has quite a bit of helpful information. It might also be worth a drive there as well as visit the Microgreen store.

If I were you, I'd learn quite a bit more before dropping $6,500 ++++ (for installation and tools), no matter who the seller is.

Just wondering .... since you only list 3 components to use during power outages, have you considered a portable LiFePO4 backup power station sized to meet your appliance needs? There are many brands out there now. Then you could more easily move it around, have a more compact package, charge via AC vs just solar or add solar if desired (though make sure the brand doesn't require only THEIR solar panels vs any brand panels), plus it would have built in ports for other devices and likely a display and or bluetooth connection. But lots of info to learn too in order to maximize your needs and purchase.

Hi - My work is pretty close to their office, been several times. My Victron supplier sent me to them for some 2/0 cable I needed, I also got my CIGS panels from them as well. They are a brick and morter store that have been around for several years, and while I haven't made the kind of purchases like yours I can confirm they're legit.
Thank you for the info.

Just wondering .... since you only list 3 components to use during power outages, have you considered a portable LiFePO4 backup power station sized to meet your appliance needs? There are many brands out there now. Then you could more easily move it around, have a more compact package, charge via AC vs just solar or add solar if desired (though make sure the brand doesn't require only THEIR solar panels vs any brand panels), plus it would have built in ports for other devices and likely a display and or bluetooth connection. But lots of info to learn too in order to maximize your needs and pu

I can't vouch for Microgreen.ca as I had not heard of them, but I also have not heard of your listed components and so also do not know of the component specs and so do not know of their value based on your quote. If you haven't done it already, do an energy audit and read and search through the many posts in these forums either for the components, other Canadian suppliers (there are few) and for your intended set up before you spend the money? It would also be more helpful to have individual prices of your components vs just a Kit Price. Kits are rarely good value vs putting together individual components. Also, are you doing the DIY or are you having this installed? That's a lot of money just to feed 2 refrigerators and a chest freezer? Has anyone done a site survey of your solar potential?

I can vouch for Solacity.ca in Ottawa, as I have purchased from them and received great service and the owner has been on this forum before and their website has quite a bit of helpful information. It might also be worth a drive there as well as visit the Microgreen store.

If I were you, I'd learn quite a bit more before dropping $6,500 ++++ (for installation and tools), no matter who the seller is.
Thank you for your great advice. It will be a DIY install. I will get someone in to do a sight survey. I will be goint to Hamilton soon so I will stop by Microgreen in Markham on my way there. I will also check out Solacity. As for the LiFePO4 backup power station, that might be the way to go. I will look further into them. Again, you input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have worked with Microgreen a d can confirm they are a great company. Their battery paks as they call them utilize CATL battery cells which are an excellent product. Inhave used several of their systems in conditions that see temperature as low as -40 and no issues.

I have dealt with Microgreen on the commercial side of things because all my purchases were done via my own company, but from what i have experienced, they are learning and always improving on their service. After sales service is good, they do try to solve your issues in a timely manner. I know Growatt isnt the best company to get support from so i can feel their frustrations when dealing with growatt.

I bought a 48 volt, 10kwh battery, 4.4kw panel system from them in November 2022. $24000. Lots of problems. I have had to return these very heavy components back to Markham several times for repairs to both the battery (cells will not balance) and the inverter. Also, one of the two 110v plugs in the Power Pak melted... They claimed I did not have the plug seated properly, which I dispute and regardless... It melted! Hundreds of emails, numerous phone conversations and still not working properly. I advise avoiding these folks. It's not worth the aggregation.

I live in the Montreal area and our neighbourhood looses power whenever there is a storm. I am looking to set up a system to basically keep my two refrigerators and a small chest freezer running during a power outage.
I can't comment on Microgreen (I have not used them). Where I would like to put your attention is the goal - "A system to keep two refirgerators and a freezer running during frequent power outages".
You can look up the "energuide" power consumption for any appliance sold in Canada, this will tell you power consumption per year. Divide by 365 for the daily power use. Add these up. (sometimes the energuide numbers are on the appliance somewhere).
Or you can buy a P3-Kil-O-Watt - very handy device that will total the energy used by a cycling 120v load like a fridge or freezer.
My own (large) fridge uses 1.4kWh per day (24hrs), a standard fridge 1.2kWh per day and the chest freezers are about 0.8kWh/day
Lets add up my units (substitute in your own numbers when you have them) 1.4+1.2+.8 =3.4kWh/day or 3400/24=142Wh per hour.

How long of a power outage are you concerned with: if only a few hours, you could use a portable (Bluetti, Jackory, Ecoflow Delta)
For a bit longer run time, many of these "portable generators" also have add-on battery packs. I think you could have sufficient back up energy for about half of the quoted price you posted. A portable unit is handy for camping - if that is a use-case for you.
You can add solar panels or not with the portable units, up to you.

Don't like the Solar-Generator option? Components:
"Kits" in general are priced well above the cost of individual components, and often do not include quality parts.
Lets consider some components and their cost:
1 Inverter MPP 3048 (Maximumsolar.online) $800CAD (this is 48v rather than 24v based, and is expandable by putting another one in parallel)
3 390W Solar PV panels (SolarPartsStore) VSUN 390W panels $215 ea. x 3 = $645CAD
48v 5.12kWh server rack battery pack (SolarPartsStore) $2,400CAD ea. (about enough energy for 1.5 days without sun)
Racking and wire -say $1000
Total of $4,845.00 plus tax plus installation. * there are regulations for PV on a homes' roof, check before you install.

You have to ask yourself if you need back up for your fridges/freezer or if what you really want a base PV-Solar system that will run those items, but be expandable into the future, and be a starting point for getting into solar.
There are some suppliers close to you - Volts Energies in Laval (I have not purchased from them)
The Cabin Depot is out East, I have bought from them, was good experience.
Good luck, ask questions, do the research before you spend $$.

I bought a 48 volt, 10kwh battery, 4.4kw panel system from them in November 2022. $24000. Lots of problems. I have had to return these very heavy components back to Markham several times for repairs to both the battery (cells will not balance) and the inverter. Also, one of the two 110v plugs in the Power Pak melted... They claimed I did not have the plug seated properly, which I dispute and regardless... It melted! Hundreds of emails, numerous phone conversations and still not working properly. I advise avoiding these folks. It's not worth the aggregation.

Hi Farm Solar
I also purchased a 10KW system from Microgreen just over a year ago and I have also had my issues, I am currently using the Rolls S6-L16-HC lead acid batteries and having issues getting them fully charged. What type of batteries are you using?

I bought a Microgreen system two and a half years ago. It came with AGM batteries and the batteries are now dead. The inverter in the Microgreen Pak is incompatible with AGM batteries. The Microgreen Pak and battery incompatibility was confirmed to me by Rolls Batteries. I have contacted Microgreen and they want me to buy new lithium batteries from them. Not sure I would recommend Microgreen. It's one thing to have a problem with your product, it's another to not provide support for what is their problem.

I bought a Microgreen system two and a half years ago. It came with AGM batteries and the batteries are now dead. The inverter in the Microgreen Pak is incompatible with AGM batteries. The Microgreen Pak and battery incompatibility was confirmed to me by Rolls Batteries. I have contacted Microgreen and they want me to buy new lithium batteries from them. Not sure I would recommend Microgreen. It's one thing to have a problem with your product, it's another to not provide support for what is their problem.
Hello Laker
I also purchased a 10KW system just over a year ago and I have the same issues and have also discussed with Rolls with the same response. I have also discussed with Microgreen 1-1/2 months after the first start up! Have had discussions with R.K. Hong (Microgreen CEO) with little support.
Would very much appreciate if you could give me a call (I am also in northern Ontario) please call 705-360-0275

Back