diy solar

diy solar

has anyone tried to reset a chins bms or do i need to ship it back to them ?

roaming ram

i am a complete idiot, wired my cheap chinese isolator wrong and shorted the battery. does anyone know if a chin LiFePo4 can be reset ? thanks

That's why they have short circuit protection.

Have you applied a voltage source to it, like a 12V charger (may not work), 12V power supply, or put it in parallel with another 12V?
yes, i put my solar panels on for it. i read in the owners manual the bms will reset if the power is completely drained so i am running my fridge without any charging for the time being. i sent an email to chin too. waiting for a response. thank you !

so after some research i have figured out i need to spend more than 14 bucks on an isolator switch before it fries a 1400 dollar battery. i live my life learning most everything the hard way. could be worse. i could stop learning...

Hi roaming ram,

Sorry to hear about the battery issue. However, I was wondering if you could share the details of the isolator switch and how it failed.
Perhaps save some of us who also have the tendency from having to learn the hard way too.

Thanks

Hi roaming ram,

Sorry to hear about the battery issue. However, I was wondering if you could share the details of the isolator switch and how it failed.
Perhaps save some of us who also have the tendency from having to learn the hard way too.

Thanks
well, i can tell you the proper way to isolate your battery from your system is to use a shunt on the negative side and a positive only isolator switch on the positive side. i bought a cheap switch with no directions and only a + - sticker on it. never again.

i read in the owners manual the bms will reset if the power is completely drained so i am running my fridge without any charging for the time being.

Is it only not charging? Otherwise how can you be draining it with the fridge?

well, i can tell you the proper way to isolate your battery from your system is to use a shunt on the negative side and a positive only isolator switch on the positive side. i bought a cheap switch with no directions and only a + - sticker on it. never again.

Even expensive ones may have no documentation and a certain basic level of knowledge is expected. I have 3 blue sea systems cut off switches that each cost around $50, and none came with instructions.

Even expensive ones may have no documentation and a certain basic level of knowledge is expected. I have 3 blue sea systems cut off switches that each cost around $50, and none came with instructions.
fair enough, but i have never needed or used an isolator switch before. if it says + and - i assume i should hook them both up. now i am educated

That's bad news.

Hang on to the old one. If you are feeling intrepid sometime, you can watch some tear-down videos and carefully open it up. There is a good chance the cells are fine. You may be able to use them to make DIY battery with a different BMS.

Back