diy solar

diy solar

Have Deye 8Kw Inverter, but my panels exceed it

Fisto

I have a Deye 8KW Inverter, but I have 11550 watts in power being generated from my panels. I'm using Longi 550W panels.

Would it be possible to get a few IQ7 microinverters on 3 panels, and then use the Deye for the rest?

If the Deye is like the SolArk, it should have a gen input, which can be programmed to accept AC coupled panels. A quick read of the manual should tell you

I don't have a Deye so I do not know the specifics. It is possible to exceed the Watts but be careful to not exceed the voltage specs on the DC input. Then if you still have some panels left over you can indeed connect them to IQ7 micros and AC couple them to the Deye.

Hi this is interesting, i am also exceeding. I have 12 by 650w panels connected in series to a Deye 8kw. I'm at 480volts (bit too close to the 500v max), so i am looking at options to keep my generation as high as possible but not cause damage. Any thoughts on how i can do this?

Your inverter's MPPT controllers won't pull a) more Watts than your load (i.e. how much you are using in your house, and how much is being sent to charge your batteries, added together), and won't pull b) more Watts than it is designed to.
So even if the sun is out and your panels are capable of generating 11,550 Watts, there is no danger of the inverter receiving more than it can take - the inverter's MPPT controllers decide how much power to take from the panels, not the other way round.
You do need to worry about the total number of volts that your panels can give out, (Voc, voltage open circuit), because this will damage your inverter if it is higher than the 500V limit.

Hi this is interesting, i am also exceeding. I have 12 by 650w panels connected in series to a Deye 8kw. I'm at 480volts (bit too close to the 500v max), so i am looking at options to keep my generation as high as possible but not cause damage. Any thoughts on how i can do this?

You need to split your 12 panels into two strings, 6 panels in each string, then you will only have 240 volts going into each MPPT controller on your 8kW inverter, well below the 500V maximum.

If the Deye is like the SolArk, it should have a gen input, which can be programmed to accept AC coupled panels. A quick read of the manual should tell you

Since the inverter can only accept 8kW input from all sources (I presume), then the MPPT controllers would reduce the amount they are taking from the other solar panels (the ones without microinverters) in order to keep the total under 8kW, so I don't see any point in doing this. But Ampster may be correct.
Do you need to have more than 8kW coming in from the solar panels? Do you have batteries?

So even if the sun is out and your panels are capable of generating 11,550 Watts, there is no danger of the inverter receiving more than it can take - the inverter's MPPT controllers decide how much power to take from the panels, not the other way round.

This isn't true for all conditions.

In slow changing conditions, the mppt controller should be able reduce the load on the solar array and keep power within it's limits.

In rapid insolation changes, typically edge of cloud events, the rapid increase in solar irradiance is faster than the controllers control loop can adjust too and will result in over-current conditions that will cause DC current faults or possibly permanent component failures.

Inverters typically specify the over paneling maximum as a percentage of rated input wattage for this reason.

I've seen this on multiple manufactures with my testing, even current AIO units, so do not exceed the manufactures listed ratings.

Oh, I didn't realise that, Solar Guppy! I'd better have a look at what the manual says for the Deye 8kW inverter, because I have 12kW of panels!
Edit: I can't find anything about the maximum rated input wattage at all in the Deye manual for the SUN-8K-SG01LP1-US/EU. But then, the manual is rather sparse.

Oh, I didn't realise that, Solar Guppy! I'd better have a look at what the manual says for the Deye 8kW inverter, because I have 12kW of panels!
Edit: I can't find anything about the maximum rated input wattage at all in the Deye manual for the SUN-8K-SG01LP1-US/EU. But then, the manual is rather sparse.

10.4kw is the limit

Keep in mind, edge of cloud events can boost wattage ~30% for up to a minute or so

So an array 12kw in standard conditions could be 15.6kw in edge of cloud event

Thank you so much for finding that information, Solar Guppy! I will have to have a rethink about what I am going to do now... I'll try to find the Growatt SPF5000ES overpanelling limit.

Thank you so much for finding that information, Solar Guppy! I will have to have a rethink about what I am going to do now... I'll try to find the Growatt SPF5000ES overpanelling limit.
Your welcome, don't want to see equipment have an early end!

I just noticed this on another thread about the Growatt SP5000, by SignatureSolarUS:
so far all we have received is stickered at 18A
It is important to notice that 18A is all the inverter will PULL from the panels, this means that 2x 10A strings are acceptable per growatt, heck, you could put 40A it would clip 50% at peak hours though.
Dont go over voltage on the MPPT but Over amperage is fine, the MPPT bosses the panels, not the other way around

In the MPP Solar PIP5048MKX manual on page 37, it says under Table 4 Solar Specifications, Rated Power 6000W. Is that the same as the Max DC Power Input? (I imagine it must be.)

This page says that the Growatt SPF5000ES maximum DC power input is 6000W:

That article doesn't mention 30%, unless I missed it? I also don't see how my 595W rated panels could give out an extra 180W for any length of time. Where is the extra light coming from, compared to a clear, sunny sky? I don't get it.

Last edited:
1.5 dc/ac ratio, so 11k solar panel on a 8k inverter should be okay! Your inverter will be on its maximum efficiency for any season…

I have 12kW of solar panels, and the Deye specifications do state that 10,400W is the maximum PV input allowed.

I'm very sorry, I realise I've completely derailed this thread, because I thought I was commenting one of my own threads. I've been reading so much about inverters today that my brain's addled...

Last edited:

In slow changing conditions, the mppt controller should be able reduce the load on the solar array and keep power within it's limits.

In rapid insolation changes, typically edge of cloud events, the rapid increase in solar irradiance is faster than the controllers control loop can adjust too and will result in over-current conditions that will cause DC current faults or possibly permanent component failures.

Inverters typically specify the over paneling maximum as a percentage of rated input wattage for this reason.

I've seen this on multiple manufactures with my testing, even current AIO units, so do not exceed the manufactures listed ratings.
Anw what s the max for deye 8kw can it be 9 in series 9 in parallel for having mac voltage and maximum current?

So

if someone exceed the whatts in pannels will be none sens wont use any benefit from it

if someone exceed the whatts in pannels will be none sens wont use any benefit from it
I believe there is a quantitative benefit to over panelling. Panels rarely produce their rated power and degrade over time. Higher DC to AC ratios mean that the inverter will be operating at optimum output more often. As mentioned earlier the amount lost to clipping is often a concern, but when calculated over time it is often very small.

Also, it is a waste of inverter or charge controller capacity to operate those devices at lower capacity. This is especially true in grid export situations. Off grid is a different scenario because the load is variable.

Last edited:
I
I believe there is a quantitative benefit to over panelling. Panels rarely produce their rated power and degrade over time. Higher DC to AC ratios mean that the inverter will be operating at optimum output more often. As mentioned earlier the amount lost to clipping is often a concern, but when calculated over time it is often very small.
hv 8 kw inverter using 12 pv 6 in series vs 6 other series producing like 5k to 6 k top should i go further to 8 pv each or 9 or it s risky

Back