diy solar

diy solar

Have solar, now thinking of homebrew backup genny

JimGSolar

I'm starting to explore the idea of a small and efficient engine driven backup generator to charge solar lifepower batteries. My solar is working well, but winter in MN is cloudy for seemingly decades (a week) at a time. I saw a video where a guy runs a Chargeverter from a small extension cord from a building 500 feet away, continuously charging four server batteries. Then the inverter connected to the batteries produces the power he needs. This made me think of a small engine, maybe Lister type, ideally diesel because of the storage advantage of diesel fuel, driving a generator, feeding a Chargeverter, charging my solar batteries. The need for this assumes there is no grid power, and solar is working but not enough battery storage to go a week between sunny days, and diesel fuel is available. I also have propane but would prefer to use diesel. I can manage the diesel availability/age/quality/storage issues just fine in my situation. Ultimately, the engine cooling water heat would also be used to heat space. This could be an upgrade later. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Diesel generator sounds like it fits your needs and available resources.

I'd look into incorporating into your solar if possible. What is your solar charger/inverter?

It sounds pretty reasonable to me. Any way you could automate the diesel run/stop? Would save the manual operation….

Back