diy solar

diy solar

Healthy Volts trumps total mah - Or the other way around? What is your choice and why?

Modular Hippo

Hi Forum,

Hope all is well!!

Building a battery pack of recycled 18650 Li-Ion batteries and have a question that someone might be able to shed some light on:)

If I have to pick one of two batteries for my pack, then would max voltage trump higher watts? Let me explain, lets say you have the two batteries below:

A: 4.20 v 2226 mah = 9,349 watts

B: 4.19 v 2376 mah = 9,955 watts

If I was aiming for the highest watts I would pick battery B, saying that it only holds 4.19 Volts...
If aiming for a healthy battery then maybe go for battery A that display 4.20 Volts....

What is more important, a healthy reading of Volts of the battery, or the total watts?

Is there a cut-of point where a fully charged 18650 has a voltage so low that it should not be used regardless how many mah it stores?

In a scenario where you can only pick one of them then what is your view and why?

Thanks
Modular Hippo

To most people here, volts and amps are interchangeable. For those in electronics, lower voltage always means higher IR loss and lower electronics efficiency. What you have isn't a choice,

I suppose I would want to know how far off from factory spec the cells are to make a decision on their health, but honestly, you couldn't pay me to mess with used batteries at this point

Why 18650 instead of LIFEPO4?
The fire hazard level pulled you to it? :rolleyes: :LOL:
I had access to 18650 and found it a good way to get my head around Volt, Amps & Watts, BMS (risks and basics etc.) in a fun way. I am fully aware of the fires etc. and trying my best not to burn the house down :) - My next project is LIFEPO4 but will have to save up for that one as a bit mote expensive:)

To most people here, volts and amps are interchangeable. For those in electronics, lower voltage always means higher IR loss and lower electronics efficiency. What you have isn't a choice,
So are you saying that going for highest possible mah is the way forward and ignore the 0.01 drop in voltage (from 4.20 to 4.19) as irrelevant in my usage case?

I suppose I would want to know how far off from factory spec the cells are to make a decision on their health, but honestly, you couldn't pay me to mess with used batteries at this point
I guess drop in mah is one thing but wonder what the implications are in relation to voltage drop... Th search will continue:)

I'm saying you are splitting hairs on numbers that aren't that accurate and won't reflect what is actually sent. It is still the same chemistry.

Back