diy solar

diy solar

Hello guys I'm new here. I work for a China battery company and I guess I know something you're interesting in. Ask whatever you wanna know

Thanks. I missed that link above.
We didn't post specification there. Just take a look at this.
There are lots of variants regarding storage class battery.
This is the most common one.
Battery pack should have a BMS for the protection so when you selecting the battery, just look at their BMS setting to check the cutoff prerequisites.
1705461355138.png

We didn't post specification there. Just take a look at this.
There are lots of variants regarding storage class battery.
This is the most common one.
Battery pack should have a BMS for the protection so when you selecting the battery, just look at their BMS setting to check the cutoff prerequisites.
View attachment 189433
Yes that use the type of information I was interested in. Your standard BMS seems to have no temperature protection listed. Do you know the cell balancing parameters of the BMS?

A few more to add to the list of sodium ion cells
江苏传艺钠电新材料有限公司: Jiangsu Chuanyi Nadian New Materials Co., Ltd.

深圳市德赛电池科技股份有限公:
Shenzhen Desai Battery Technology Co., Ltd

The Jiangsu Chuanyi Nadian cells (abbreviated as CY typically) have been out for a bit. Their 18650 and 26650 sodium cyclindricals have been going strong for a while. They started doing large 71173207 cells over the summer and they haven't been going well. There were problems with welding the electrolyte fill port shut. I have them now but the original order was cancelled. Their capacity was also shrunk from 240ah to 220ah in the ramp up to production. Similar happened to their cyclindricals it seems.

Desai told me at RE+ in September that they were working on 71173207 sodium cells and that they would have samples about now. Never followed up so I do not have any further info.

I've also got a set of 70ah 50160118 sodium cells from the initial Highstar test runs. If you want any info about them I'd be happy to share what I can on either the Highstar or CY cells. I just haven't done much testing on them yet.

I've also got a set of 70ah 50160118 sodium cells from the initial Highstar test runs. If you want any info about them I'd be happy to share what I can on either the Highstar or CY cells. I just haven't done much testing on them yet.
I would like to see the data on both the Highstar and CY cells. - thanks for offering @Battery_Kate !

Do you see the same BMS's being applied to Sodium Cells as we already use for LFP cell packs, or will a different BMS be developed just for Sodium applications?

Last edited:
I would like to see the data on both the Highstar and CY cells. - thanks for offering @Battery_Kate !

Do you see the same BMS's being applied to Sodium Cells as we already use for LFP cell packs, or will a different BMS be developed just for Sodium applications?
You have seem to mixed me up with Kate lol,

However here's a bit of what I have that I can share. Apologies for not posting the full thing from Highstar. I was also told with these samples that even though they say they can be charged at -20C they should not be.

"And if the charging temperature is below 0℃, the performance of cell will get worse and these is a risk of bulge. In order to keep secure, you'd better not charge below 0℃. And the discharging temperature could be very low. You could charge above 0 and discharge below 0. "

1705502662442.png
1705502690687.png
IMG_20231109_061218_HDR (1).jpg

As for CY I have no direct connection to them so I can share everything I have on them which isn't that much. The sodium cell datasheet in resources is a very mangled version (likely google translate) of the 220ah cell.

Here is a picture of the current 220ah cells I have, note the massive welded cover for the fill vent
IMG_20240117_094822_HDR.jpg

Most of the 220ah datasheet

1705503402021.png1705503420580.png1705503439463.png1705503450358.png

Also attached is a Highstar Sodium Catalog

Attachments

• Highstar Sodium Products-compressed.pdf
    719.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Highstar Sodium Products-compressed.pdf
    719.7 KB · Views: 4
OPS!! Sorry @zcskywire2 ! LOL I was looking at the previous poster as I typed, but it wasn't you LOL.
Hey thanks for posting that information - interesting.
I was not aware that the Sodium is not able to charge below freezing, actually I thought this was one of the main advantages!
Discharge below freezing would still be a benefit, but maybe not as much as I was hoping. There on the Pacific now, I guess I will find out!

However here's a bit of what I have that I can share. Apologies for not posting the full thing from Highstar. I was also told with these samples that even though they say they can be charged at -20C they should not be.

"And if the charging temperature is below 0℃, the performance of cell will get worse and these is a risk of bulge. In order to keep secure, you'd better not charge below 0℃. And the discharging temperature could be very low. You could charge above 0 and discharge below 0. "

View attachment 189465
View attachment 189466
View attachment 189469

As for CY I have no direct connection to them so I can share everything I have on them which isn't that much. The sodium cell datasheet in resources is a very mangled version (likely google translate) of the 220ah cell.

Here is a picture of the current 220ah cells I have, note the massive welded cover for the fill vent
View attachment 189468

Most of the 220ah datasheet

View attachment 189471View attachment 189472View attachment 189474View attachment 189475

Also attached is a Highstar Sodium Catalog
Could you share us some pictures of the 70Ah cell from HighStar?And any sepcs for that? How's the cell's price for HighStar and CY 220Ah? Thanks!

@Battery_Kate - we have discussed on the forum a few times, the transition over time from 12v to 24v to 48v for solar-battery systems.
Higher voltages allow a system to use smaller (lower cost) wire to carry the same power at lower amperage.
We have all seen EV voltages transition from 160v - 300v 400v 800v generally for the same reason.
As a battery manufacturer, do you see higher voltages coming in the near future, for Solar-battery systems?
Will Inverters be coming that are 96v, 192v?

@Battery_Kate - we have discussed on the forum a few times, the transition over time from 12v to 24v to 48v for solar-battery systems.
Higher voltages allow a system to use smaller (lower cost) wire to carry the same power at lower amperage.
We have all seen EV voltages transition from 160v - 300v 400v 800v generally for the same reason.
As a battery manufacturer, do you see higher voltages coming in the near future, for Solar-battery systems?
Will Inverters be coming that are 96v, 192v?
For the solar battery, if home storage battery included, then you may see this 512V battery.
6055a81d24204d71bc9b07d590a42ca.png4c5fa4153e18f45597ecf0694ce11e0.png

Could you share us some pictures of the 70Ah cell from HighStar?And any sepcs for that? How's the cell's price for HighStar and CY 220Ah? Thanks!
Pictures and specs are already up now in post #58

Highstar cells were $26.80 USD FOB, with no direct shipping to the US from Highstar.

CY cells were ~75usd ddp to the US via the grey Market. I would bet on them being "grade a cells" because I know roughly how they got sourced.

OPS!! Sorry @zcskywire2 ! LOL I was looking at the previous poster as I typed, but it wasn't you LOL.
Hey thanks for posting that information - interesting.
I was not aware that the Sodium is not able to charge below freezing, actually I thought this was one of the main advantages!
Discharge below freezing would still be a benefit, but maybe not as much as I was hoping. There on the Pacific now, I guess I will find out!

It's supposed to be but at least with the Highstar prototypes they warned against charging them cold even if it's in the spec. The CY cells are only rated to -10. There are cold weather LFP cyclindrical cells as well and they kick ass, having tested them. Problem is it's only 26650 cyclindricals so far I've found. Mainly the BST-G2W and the CBAK 26650LT. G2W spec attached.

Otherwise all the chemistries can be discharged in the cold. It's just how efficient they are in regards to it. When the cells are cold their internal resistance goes way up so it's hard to get power out of em because of heating losses and that resistance.

Attachments

• BST G2W.pdf
    488.1 KB · Views: 4
Pictures and specs are already up now in post #58

Highstar cells were $26.80 USD FOB, with no direct shipping to the US from Highstar.

CY cells were ~75usd ddp to the US via the grey Market. I would bet on them being "grade a cells" because I know roughly how they got sourced.
Thanks. It's really helpful

For the solar battery, if home storage battery included, then you may see this 512V battery.
512v or 160s pack of LFP cells.
That math works nicely for me, I could use 10 DIY packs and rearrange the cells for the 512v.
280Ah cells x 512v = 143.36 kWh ESS (WOW!) and will weigh 864kg (1900 lbs)

512v or 160s pack of LFP cells.
That math works nicely for me, I could use 10 DIY packs and rearrange the cells for the 512v.
280Ah cells x 512v = 143.36 kWh ESS (WOW!) and will weigh 864kg (1900 lbs)
We use 3.2V 50Ah cell to make this. It's 3.2V 50Ah, 8 in series to make 25.6V 50Ah. And then 4 of 25.6V 50Ah to make a single box 102.4V 50Ah. Finally you can see in the picture, combine the 5 boxes in series to make the final 512V 50Ah. Sorry for the bad expression. My English wasn't that good... Be careful if you wanna DIY a high voltage battery. It's really dangerous.

@Battery_Kate - your English is very good!
We use 3.2V 50Ah cell to make this. It's 3.2V 50Ah, 8 in series to make 25.6V 50Ah. And then 4 of 25.6V 50Ah to make a single box 102.4V 50Ah. Finally you can see in the picture, combine the 5 boxes in series to make the final 512V 50Ah.
I see,
Is there a reason you don't make two 16s packs in each box?

50Ah x 512 cells =25.6kWh ESS. I see.
How do you manage the series pack connections, to maintain all the cells in proper balance over time?

@Battery_Kate - your English is very good!

I see,
Is there a reason you don't make two 16s packs in each box?

50Ah x 512 cells =25.6kWh ESS. I see.
How do you manage the series pack connections, to maintain all the cells in proper balance over time?
Making two 16s packs is theoretically possible. But balancing is a huge problem.
Regarding how to manage the connections, I think I'm insufficient in this.

Making two 16s packs is theoretically possible. But balancing is a huge problem.
Regarding how to manage the connections, I think I'm insufficient in this.
With all the separate packs, series connected, I can see maintaining balance over all those cells being a big challenge.
Easier to parallel the packs, and convert the final DC voltage up to 512v maybe. But higher losses.
There are some BMS's out in the market that can handle 160 cells, but thses are expensive.

With all the separate packs, series connected, I can see maintaining balance over all those cells being a big challenge.
Easier to parallel the packs, and convert the final DC voltage up to 512v maybe. But higher losses.
There are some BMS's out in the market that can handle 160 cells, but thses are expensive.
This is a new design so I need time to fully know it.
Yeah saving cost is another concern cause the end user might no accept the high cost

Like Inverter, controller, charger...
Inverter models are limited and highly developed. We don't make them directly. We just provide the design we need and hand it over to experienced inverter manufacturers for production. Because the main business is batteries, there are very few engineers related to inverters. The same goes for the charger, which adopts our design and outsourced production model. This cost is relatively small.

diy solar

diy solar
Back