diy solar

diy solar

Hello New Friends -- Need your thoughts

McGene

Just found this forum and so glad I did.
I live in FL and would like to be better prepared for hurricane season.
I currently have a gas powered backup generator (which I hate -- noisy and non-sine wave).
I have considered purchasing a new generator (GENMAX 9000iED) but want to consider a solar generator option as well.
I have watched a ton of videos, frankly many are over my head since I'm so new to this topic.
So far, I'm leaning towards the EcoFlow Delta Pro x2 with the HUB so I could get 240v if needed. I like the ease of plug and play.
I had an electrician install an interlock kit on my panel so I can select the breakers I want as the need arises. It has an L15-30P plug for my generator.
I looked at building my own setup using the EG4 products -- but, frankly, I'm sure I'd mess something up. Since I live in a rural area, I don't have many folks to help me.
If you'd care to offer any suggestions/help, I would be most appreciative.
I'm passionate about doing research, so steer me in the right direction and I'll gladly do my homework.

Solar generators are almost all junk. They're meant for camping.

From a power delivery perspective, the difference between that GENMAX generator and the EcoFlow Delta, is about on the same level as the difference between a John Deere farm tractor with PTO and a lawn mower you buy at Walmart.

That's not to say a solar battery system can't keep up with that GENMAX, (my solar would), but that little EcoFlow thingy isn't going to hold a candle to a 9000 watt petroleum powered generator. They're not even in the same ballpark or zipcode.

It's like you're considering the purchase of a fishing pole (albeit a very expensive and over priced fishing pole) or a fishing trawler.

Get the GENMAX.

That said, I have a good understanding of what you're really asking.. correct me if I'm wrong, but your real question is "How do I keep my fridges cold, my phones charged, a few lights running, and my television on, for up to 3 weeks at a time without grid power"

The best answer to that is this:
1) figure out exactly how much energy you need per day, and how much energy you need if all that stuff turns on at once.
2) Purchase a generator that is twice that size, and one that runs on either gasoline, propane, or natural gas.
3) Store enough propane to run the generator for that time period.

Renewable solar is great, but you need a lot of battery (expensive) and a lot of solar panels to keep that battery charged... and even then, you might run short if the sun doesn't cooperate.

Those little "solar generators" are not generators at all.. the misleading marketing term should be your first warning flag.. the $3000+ price tag should be the second.

The first step in figuring out any alternative power solution that is off-grid, is to figure out how much power you need daily, and how much power you might need at any one moment. There's a big difference between keeping the food cold and the television running and trying to keep the air conditioner going on a 90 degree day. Before you get good advice, we need to know what your goals are and the specifics that go along with them.

If you want to keep the house cool, there's a big difference between a 1000 square foot home and a 4000 square foot home.

Whoa baby! I knew this was the place to go. Marvelous responses. MurphyGuy you may have just saved me a ton of money.
I have taken a stab at my power needs and I thought I might be able to get by with a solar option. My biggest challenge was figuring out how long the solar option would hold up. My other big concern was relying on gas during a storm when all the stations are out.
However storing LP gas is a great idea since it will last forever (unlike gasoline).
If I pull the trigger on the GenMax I guess you guys won’t see as much of me as I thought.
Again thanks so much for the honesty!

Whoa baby! I knew this was the place to go. Marvelous responses. MurphyGuy you may have just saved me a ton of money.
I have taken a stab at my power needs and I thought I might be able to get by with a solar option. My biggest challenge was figuring out how long the solar option would hold up. My other big concern was relying on gas during a storm when all the stations are out.
However storing LP gas is a great idea since it will last forever (unlike gasoline).
If I pull the trigger on the GenMax I guess you guys won’t see as much of me as I thought.
Again thanks so much for the honesty!
While you need a generator for the occasional hurricane, up here in the rural Michigan countryside where we're surrounded by corn and cows, we lose grid power quite often when storms come through. We're so accustomed to it its not even a big deal. And since the population is so sparse, we can be without grid power for a week at a time. I have a lot of experience with generators and am kind of the neighborhood guy everyone comes to.

On the issue of sizing the generator:

The bigger your generator, the more energy it will use regardless of you actually drawing energy from it. A 5000 watt generator running a home that is averaging 1200 watts is going to use A LOT less fuel than a 9000 watt unit doing the same.

I have to say, 9000 watts is a LOT of power. My home has 3 chest style deep freezers, 2 fridges, 3 computers, a television, well water pump, sump pump, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I have a 5500 watt generator that turns into a 4500 watt generator because I run it on natural gas. It runs the entire house without hardly breaking a sweat. It will NOT run the electric clothes dryer.. and while it will run the 2 ton air conditioner, it puts a good load on it.

With our solar/battery-backup system, we now only use the generator when the sun doesn't cooperate. The generator no longer runs the house, it just charges the batteries. I tell the off-grid system to pull 15 amps from the generator and it will pull exactly 15 amps. The generator runs for 4 or 5 hours and then shuts off and the battery will carry the house for the next day or so if the sun doesn't come out.

Solar rocks! Being on off-grid solar during a grid down event is very cool, but you still need a gas generator for those dark gray days. Our off-grid solar easily runs the air conditioner and clothes dryer.

On the issue of what generator to purchase:
Generators being manufactured today are very cheaply made, which is why I won't buy one. The only exception to this are the Honda's, but make sure you're sitting down when you go look at prices.

Like most appliances today, they are fitting these generators will all kinds of computers and other bells and whistles, and if any of that stuff stops functioning, the entire unit craps out.

Seriously, go buy an older generator.. Something like a Coleman Powermate that is nothing but an engine, power head, and a panel with some plugs and a couple circuit breakers. (see photo below for example) You can easily convert a generator like this with a $200 kit so it runs on propane, natural gas, OR regular gasoline. (I think US Carb makes the best kits and is what I use) This is what I did and my generator is ultra reliable. It is also stupidly easy to fix. You should be able to find one of these on craigslist or facebook for $200 or less. Bring a compression tester.. if it has good compression, everything else is simple.

Some generator notes:
1) When buying any generator, take a look at the gas cap on top of the fuel tank and imagine what would happen if it started raining. Some generators are designed in a way that if you fill them with gas and spill a little, the gas is contained within an indentation around the gas cap. Great idea, except when it rains, that safety feature fills up with water and the water goes into the gas tank and damages everything. Stay way from those types.
2) The super efficient "inverter" type generators are great for running televisions, power tools, and stuff like that. But because of all the electronics, there's a lot to go wrong with them and they don't handle big surge loads like motors very well. Again, with the exception of the Honda's, most are low quality units. I would not recommend them for running an entire house.
3) Change the oil !! Yup, most generators, regardless of what the manual says, need an oil change every 24 hours of operation. If you want it to last, make sure you change that oil. Some of the 2 cylinder units can go a lot longer than 24 hours, but just make sure you change it and always have oil on hand. I always keep two 5-gallon bucks of the oil in stock. Our generator uses about 1.4 quarts.
4) You can tell how many hours a used generator has on it by simply looking at the muffler. Shiny chrome muffler = low hours.. Rusted muffler = high hours.
6) Any generator you purchase should have a plastic gas tank. Steel tanks rust, its that simple.
7) If you can find a Coleman Powermate with a Tecumseh engine (picture below), I would highly recommend it. Tecumseh engines run forever and coleman generators usually have good solid power heads. (although I have little experience with their newer units so can't comment)
8) I would strongly suggest you stay away from anything made in China.. Champion Generators are made in the USA if you insist on getting a new unit.
9) Don't spend all your hard earned money on a fancy generator with a flashy paint job. Seriously, that's why they make them "look cool" these days. Most American consumers are more interested in flash than in function and its a big mistake when your family's comfort is on the table.

Hope this helps, good luck.

41mzPiCEf+L._AC_SY580_.jpg

Agreed Solar Generators are the dumbest thing ever, not only do you pay a lot vs separate components but if anything fails you loose everything.

Make a small setup with some batts, inverter, solar charger and you will be happy because you will know how everything works and can replace any component if it doesn't.

You guys are really helping me out here. Thanks a ton!!

I swear I'm so wishy washy with this stuff -- it's driving my wife crazy (and me too).
Here's my dilemma
  • I like the non-pollution and silence of a solar generators (but the cost is ridiculous)
  • I like the cost savings of a gas/LP generator (the inverter type are much quieter)
Frankly, while I was leaning towards the solar option, I'm seriously reconsidering the gas/LP side of things again.

No question, I will be buying something that produces a pure sine wave. We have way too many things (computers, etc.) and even newer appliances that have sensitive electronics. My current gas generator will not accept LP and it's VERY loud and produces a step-function.

Since we seldom have outages (and if we do unrelated to a hurricane the outage last less than a couple hours). When hurricanes are approaching our area we always have plenty of notice to prepare. I was thinking of buying a few 20lb LP tanks (easier for this old man to handle) and using it with a new duel fuel generator like the Genmax I mention earlier.

Since I have a 4-ton Heat Pump, I'm thinking of adding a soft-start kit (Micro Air Easy Start) that will lower the in-rush amps from about 85 to around 30ish. That way the 9000 Genmax could be used to cool the house (about 3200 sq ft) if needed.

The load I plan to cover includes a rather old frig in the garage, a very new vertical freezer in the garage, a very new frig in the kitchen, desktop computer and printer, lights (mostly LED), garage door, 65" OLED TV, fans throughout the house, microwave oven, new toaster oven (we seldom even use the large oven now), Nespresso coffee maker (me) Keurig (wife).

Any further input/recommendations are more than welcome. Again, my thanks to you guys for your helpful feedback....especially you MurphyGuy (please don't be offended if I don't adopt all your suggestions) :)

I swear I'm so wishy washy with this stuff -- it's driving my wife crazy (and me too).
Here's my dilemma
  • I like the non-pollution and silence of a solar generators (but the cost is ridiculous)
  • I like the cost savings of a gas/LP generator (the inverter type are much quieter)
Frankly, while I was leaning towards the solar option, I'm seriously reconsidering the gas/LP side of things again.

No question, I will be buying something that produces a pure sine wave. We have way too many things (computers, etc.) and even newer appliances that have sensitive electronics. My current gas generator will not accept LP and it's VERY loud and produces a step-function.

Since we seldom have outages (and if we do unrelated to a hurricane the outage last less than a couple hours). When hurricanes are approaching our area we always have plenty of notice to prepare. I was thinking of buying a few 20lb LP tanks (easier for this old man to handle) and using it with a new duel fuel generator like the Genmax I mention earlier.

Since I have a 4-ton Heat Pump, I'm thinking of adding a soft-start kit (Micro Air Easy Start) that will lower the in-rush amps from about 85 to around 30ish. That way the 9000 Genmax could be used to cool the house (about 3200 sq ft) if needed.

The load I plan to cover includes a rather old frig in the garage, a very new vertical freezer in the garage, a very new frig in the kitchen, desktop computer and printer, lights (mostly LED), garage door, 65" OLED TV, fans throughout the house, microwave oven, new toaster oven (we seldom even use the large oven now), Nespresso coffee maker (me) Keurig (wife).

Any further input/recommendations are more than welcome. Again, my thanks to you guys for your helpful feedback....especially you MurphyGuy (please don't be offended if I don't adopt all your suggestions) :)
I like this one. Though maybe put a larger rack battery than 100 Amps he used.

Last edited:
BPOB (Big Pile Of Batteries) , compatible battery charger and inverter (Or All-In-One hybrid inverter) is a fun starter project

Here's my dilemma
I strongly suggest you do some homework on how much propane a generator uses. Make sure you're sitting down if you're looking at that 9000 watt model and want to run your 4t air conditioner. One of those big 500 gallon propane pigs will probably last you less than a week, and a little 20lb bbq tank will most likely get sucked up before you turn around and make it back to the house (sarcasm).

Propane is a really great option for those small generators when powering critical stuff, but no so much if you're trying to power larger loads.

Almost any gasoline generator can be made to accept LP with the cheap kits from US Carb
You're going to want to purchase the larger 100 lb propane tanks and just buy yourself a cheap dolly to move it around.

Running a 4 ton air conditioner on a propane generator is going to be.. well, for lack of a better term, comical. Sure, it will work, but its going to suck up that propane a whole lot faster than you probably think. A 4t heat pump draws about 5000 watts, which means it is going to use about 0.84 Gallons (not pounds) per hour.
Here's a handy generator-propane use calculator for you.

If you want to run that 4t air conditioner, borrowing a quote from the famous JAWS movie: "You're gonna need a bigger propane tank"

And that doesn't even account normal house loads.

Here's my suggestion:
Forget running the big 4t air conditioner and instead, for emergency hurricane use, purchase a smaller air conditioner like a mini-split and just keep one or two rooms cool with it during emergencies.

The amount of money you're going to spend on propane over the years is probably going to far exceed anything you imagine. Propane only has one HUGE benefit, and that is that it can be stored forever to be ready when you need it. Really, that is its only benefit. Propane is expensive and bulky.
From an application perspective, its only real use is to run a small generator to keep critical loads going. Grandma's oxygen machine, the freezers, emergency radio, charge cell phones, lights, etc. Trying to run the clothes dryer, washing machine, dishwasher, etc, is going to be pretty expensive, and trying to run a 4t air conditioner is going to be ridiculous and comical.

Here's a chart.. Remember, this is in GALLONS not pounds.

1675185051245.png

Good grief Charlie Brown!!! You guys are not making my life any easier :cool:

Okay, Murphy you got my attention --- again!

Dang, just about the time I think I have this figured out, I have to rethink things again.

Soooooo, I won't run the Heat Pump. Our history so far with hurricanes has been only 1 day without power. Of course, we've only been in FL for about 6 years. And, we haven't had a direct hit yet. It's a crap shoot and we all know that.

And, Danke, thanks for the video. I've looked at the EG4 route but my tech skills are not what they used to be.

There really doesn't seem to be an easy solution. I agree that a major issue with a gas/LP generator is fuel supply. Naturally when everyone needs the same thing -- shortages and price gouging is the order of the day. That was one reason I wanted to go solar -- the sun is free and we get plenty of that here in FL.

I'm thinking I need to learn "energy management" techniques that would allow me to use either solar or fuel more efficiently. I provided the list of items I think we will want to have access to during an outage -- but, obviously, we wouldn't be using all of them at the same time. I would avoid, for example, running the microwave and toaster oven at the same time. And, as noted, I'll skip the HP.

Perhaps the solution is a combination of fuel/solar. I hate to run a generator at night -- annoying me and my neighbors. Maybe that's when I could use a solar setup. And, assuming the outage lasted a while, I could use a more cost-effective generator during the day (not the 9000 unit). Does this make any sense?

During a hurricane you are in survival mode and can live without air conditioning. Typically hurricanes bring in a cool front so is comfortable. If air conditioning is required, fire up the generator and cool the house down.

Focus on what you need to survive, mainly the fridge-freezer and coffee. Computer and TV for information and entertainment. Cook outdoors to reduce the heat load inside, forget the microwave and toaster oven.

During a hurricane you won’t have sun for days so I would postpone solar panels for now. Concentrate first on battery storage. Since hurricanes are a rare event, you can amortize the battery cost with an electric golf cart that can be recharged from the generator. Its fun to drive and makes a dandy self-propelled power station.

Attachments

• Houston snow.jpg
    Houston snow.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 5
Good grief Charlie Brown!!! You guys are not making my life any easier :cool:

Okay, Murphy you got my attention --- again!

Dang, just about the time I think I have this figured out, I have to rethink things again.

Soooooo, I won't run the Heat Pump. Our history so far with hurricanes has been only 1 day without power. Of course, we've only been in FL for about 6 years. And, we haven't had a direct hit yet. It's a crap shoot and we all know that.

And, Danke, thanks for the video. I've looked at the EG4 route but my tech skills are not what they used to be.

There really doesn't seem to be an easy solution. I agree that a major issue with a gas/LP generator is fuel supply. Naturally when everyone needs the same thing -- shortages and price gouging is the order of the day. That was one reason I wanted to go solar -- the sun is free and we get plenty of that here in FL.

I'm thinking I need to learn "energy management" techniques that would allow me to use either solar or fuel more efficiently. I provided the list of items I think we will want to have access to during an outage -- but, obviously, we wouldn't be using all of them at the same time. I would avoid, for example, running the microwave and toaster oven at the same time. And, as noted, I'll skip the HP.

Perhaps the solution is a combination of fuel/solar. I hate to run a generator at night -- annoying me and my neighbors. Maybe that's when I could use a solar setup. And, assuming the outage lasted a while, I could use a more cost-effective generator during the day (not the 9000 unit). Does this make any sense?
Solar is best for long term energy supply, but it lacks the short term power a generator can provide.

If you tell me what your budget is, what equipment you currently have now, I can give you the best options to fit within your budget.

When we moved to our current home, we lost power 3 times that year for an average of 5 days on each event. My ran my 6000 watt generator on gasoline back then (~$2.40 gallon) and I remember that over the course of just those those three outages, I spent more money on gasoline than I spent on the generator itself.
So I took a gamble and bought the US Carb kit to change it to natural gas because we have it here.. Best generator decision I ever made. The next time we were without power was a 4 day event and the generator ran continuously (except for oil changes once a day). I remember my wife saying she noticed the natural gas bill for that month was about $10 higher than she expected.

Then we installed grid tied solar because of the ever increasing bills, and shortly after, a battery backup system that could use the grid tied solar array to charge the batteries without the grid.

We almost never use the generator anymore. Out of the dozen events we've had since I installed batteries, I think I had to use the generator 3 times for about 3 hours each, because the dark gray clouds just wouldn't give us a break. The generator just charges the batteries, it doesn't run the house directly, so its only needed to give the bats enough juice to carry us until the sun comes out. And once that sun does comes out, the solar makes more power than we know what to do with.

For the most reliable temporary emergency power, I would recommend a properly sized HONDA generator that has been converted to run on gasoline and propane. When you know an event is coming, stock up on the REC FUEL (non-ethanol) gasoline.. if you don't use it, pour it into your cars or lawn mowers. Also keep a large supply of propane on hand for those longer duration emergencies where you run out of your gasoline. Forget the bbq tanks and get the 100 pound cylinders and have them refiled. Better yet, purchase your own 250 gallon pig and put it in the back yard.

By the way, generators do not damage "sensitive electronics" like higher end appliances. Those items are mostly damaged by grid power spikes from lightening strikes or local heavy industrial complexes turning on and off large loads. To protect your appliances against those spikes, I strongly recommend a Siemens FS140 whole house surge protector. Super easy to install.

Thank you guys for hanging in there with me. Clearly this will not be an impulse purchase but one that I will think about carefully -- and you guys are really helping do that -- THANK YOU!
Now, based on the recommendation earlier in this post, I have created what I think are the loads I would manage during an outage. Hopefully this will help us zero in on good options.
ItemWattageFull TimeOptional
Load_1
Optional
Load_2
Optional
Load_3
Old Garage Frig400400400400400
Garage Freezer216216216216216
Garage Door725725
LR TV476476476
LR Lights3030303030
Ceiling Fan100100100100100
Kitchen Frig400400400400400
Kitchen Toaster Oven180018001800
Kitchen Microwave1500
Nespresso Coffee1350
Keurig Coffee1500
Bedroom Ceiling Fan100100100100100
Bedroom Clock6060606060
Office PC500
Router2020202020
Total Load91771326312636022527
Does this make sense?

Thank you guys for hanging in there with me. Clearly this will not be an impulse purchase but one that I will think about carefully -- and you guys are really helping do that -- THANK YOU!
Now, based on the recommendation earlier in this post, I have created what I think are the loads I would manage during an outage. Hopefully this will help us zero in on good options.
ItemWattageFull TimeOptional
Load_1
Optional
Load_2
Optional
Load_3
Old Garage Frig400400400400400
Garage Freezer216216216216216
Garage Door725725
LR TV476476476
LR Lights3030303030
Ceiling Fan100100100100100
Kitchen Frig400400400400400
Kitchen Toaster Oven180018001800
Kitchen Microwave1500
Nespresso Coffee1350
Keurig Coffee1500
Bedroom Ceiling Fan100100100100100
Bedroom Clock6060606060
Office PC500
Router2020202020
Total Load91771326312636022527
Does this make sense?

I would recommend a 5000 to 6000 watt generator. Preferably, you want one powered by a Honda engine or a Briggs & Stratton (Preferably a VanGuard engine if you can find one). Northern Tools sells nice generators with Honda GX series engines. A bit pricey, but they are darn good generators.

The good old days of the Tecumseh engines or those with cast iron construction are gone. Most small engines are made cheaply in China now with poor quality materials. Honda and the B&S VanGuard series are about all that is left that could be called "good quality"

Any generator powered by a Honda GX series engine is going to run for a very long time. Trust me, being on a rural farm, we have all kinds of small engines around here and the Honda's are the only motors I have that never give me a problem. Heck, I don't even know how to fix them because I've never had to fix one yet.

Make sure your generator is NOT "Carb Compliant". If you run ethanol gas in a carb compliant generator, you're going to end up with problems eventually.

Don't worry about "Dual Fuel" either, you can get a kit from US CARB to convert any generator and it is stupidly easy to do.

I currently have 66 200w panels in my system with 55kwh of batteries and a generator that is in storage after a hurricane I may not have the panels but I will have the generator and batteries I prefer to use the generator to charge the batteries af full power of the generator and only have to run it for a few hours than have to run it all day.

My system powers A/C all day long (day not night) by PV.
I don't have the hurricane problem that you do, however.

"Does this make sense?"

Makes sense except no need to run toaster oven, microwave, Nespresso, and Keurig all at the same time.
Discipline (if just you) or priority switch and relays enabled by "grid down" signal (if family uses them) and you can get by with smaller generator or inverter.

Thanks again. Hedges -- you are correct. I would never run those items simultaneously. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned learning "energy management". I added to my original spreadsheet and wonder if I did it correctly. I was trying to arrive at the amount of amps that I would need on an hourly basis. Then I could determine how long a particular power supply would last. Am I thinking correctly -- did I do the math correctly? The column I'm most interested in is the "Watts per Hour". If a generator can provide 7200 watts of power does that mean it would last me approximately 12 hours if my math is correct?
Sorry, I know you guys are likely getting tired of me. I'm a nerd and tend to act like a dog with a bone!!!!
ItemWattageFull TimeRun Time
in Hours
Watt HoursWatts per
Hour
Optional
Load_1
Optional
Load_2
Optional
Load_3
Old Garage Frig400400249600160400400400
Garage Freezer21621624518486.4216216216
Garage Door7250.0321.750.3625725
LR TV4764190431.73333333476476
LR Lights303061803303030
Ceiling Fan10010024240040100100100
Kitchen Frig400400249600160400400400
Kitchen Toaster Oven18000.1180318001800
Kitchen Microwave15000.11502.5
Nespresso Coffee13500.0567.51.125
Keurig Coffee15000.05751.25
Bedroom Ceiling Fan10010024240040100100100
Bedroom Clock606024144024606060
Office PC500
Router2020244808202020
Total Load9,1771,32633,6825613,1263,6022,527

Thanks again. Hedges -- you are correct. I would never run those items simultaneously. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned learning "energy management". I added to my original spreadsheet and wonder if I did it correctly. I was trying to arrive at the amount of amps that I would need on an hourly basis. Then I could determine how long a particular power supply would last. Am I thinking correctly -- did I do the math correctly? The column I'm most interested in is the "Watts per Hour". If a generator can provide 7200 watts of power does that mean it would last me approximately 12 hours if my math is correct?
Sorry, I know you guys are likely getting tired of me. I'm a nerd and tend to act like a dog with a bone!!!!
ItemWattageFull TimeRun Time
in Hours
Watt HoursWatts per
Hour
Optional
Load_1
Optional
Load_2
Optional
Load_3
Old Garage Frig400400249600160400400400
Garage Freezer21621624518486.4216216216
Garage Door7250.0321.750.3625725
LR TV4764190431.73333333476476
LR Lights303061803303030
Ceiling Fan10010024240040100100100
Kitchen Frig400400249600160400400400
Kitchen Toaster Oven18000.1180318001800
Kitchen Microwave15000.11502.5
Nespresso Coffee13500.0567.51.125
Keurig Coffee15000.05751.25
Bedroom Ceiling Fan10010024240040100100100
Bedroom Clock606024144024606060
Office PC500
Router2020244808202020
Total Load9,1771,32633,6825613,1263,6022,527
Your frig and freezer do not run all the time it is an intermittent load like on an hour off for two hours. Unless you leave the door open.

Back