diy solar

diy solar

Help : Are they Dead or can they be saved.

Phil Valdivia

I purchased two new Lifeline GPL-L16T AGM 6v 400A-Hr Deep Cycle Batteries five years ago. Set them in a dry spot in the garage and never hooked them up or used them in any way to this date. They have been sitting for 5 years, never touched. Are they Dead, or can they be saved?

Attachments

• Lifeline GPL-L16T AGM Deep Cycle Battery 6V 400A-Hr - e Marine Systems.pdf
    238.3 KB · Views: 2
First step is to check their current voltage. If they around 5v or higher, they can probably be saved.

The lower the voltage, the less likely they can be saved.

Label your batteries, make note of their voltages and see if they charge and hold a charge over 6v. Start with the best battery and work your way down until you stop getting successful results.

I purchased two new Lifeline GPL-L16T AGM 6v 400A-Hr Deep Cycle Batteries five years ago. Set them in a dry spot in the garage and never hooked them up or used them in any way to this date. They have been sitting for 5 years, never touched. Are they Dead, or can they be saved?
You should be able to save . But never put a battery on the ground, has always been a rule ! I would probably say you need to trickle change each one separately and check levels? Check them to see if they hold a charge after a few days to determine if they will still work . Distilled water is added if low . I used to be able to buy battery fluids but dont know if they still sell it . Its better than distilled water.

You should be able to save . But never put a battery on the ground, has always been a rule ! I would probably say you need to trickle change each one separately and check levels? Check them to see if they hold a charge after a few days to determine if they will still work . Distilled water is added if low . I used to be able to buy battery fluids but dont know if they still sell it . Its better than distilled water.
I were not sitting on cement. I had made a wooden cart so they would not be on the ground. I have a charger that says 12v & 24v 5a & 10 a. But batteries are 6v. ?

Put 2 batteries together to make a 12 v and charge slow . Get readings from independently first then connect 2 together then get 12v reading and slow charge for half the day and check all voltages to see its potential
Awesome, thank you ! I will give it a try.

Awesome, thank you ! I will give it a try.
Take a peice of tape and tape batery and put its value on it and you can refer easily when checking it . Dates time voltage are great references to fall back on ? Trickle charge to get life back in . Then make a test and run down check voltages and charge again to get a cycle going not storage full.Good luck

Take a peice of tape and tape batery and put its value on it and you can refer easily when checking it . Dates time voltage are great references to fall back on ? Trickle charge to get life back in . Then make a test and run down check voltages and charge again to get a cycle going not storage full.Good luck
I appreciate the help. especially since I no not what I'm doing. : ) Will give it a try.

You can get very cheap chargers and voltmeters on AliExpress and eBay and Amazon - worth having if you're going to do anything with these batteries or others

I appreciate the help. especially since I no not what I'm doing. : ) Will give it a try.
Download this book I cant figure how to share link . Victronwireing book
Look up this book smooth joey showed me .
Www.victronenergy.com

Nice setup. Looking forward to making my own system. Coffee on the job site. I like it. ?
Dont thank me . It's up to you to read up . Smooth Joey sent me this the other day as I wanted to understand 4 batteries in parallel and in my mind knew there was other was to connect up to and feed from opposite sides enjoy that is I am enjoying that book to . Thank you smooth joey .

diy solar

diy solar
Back