diy solar

diy solar

Help me choose new batteries

Update: I just confirmed on the LiTime website that the LiTime batteries do not have any low-temp protection. That might be a deal breaker for me given my living situation, unless Im being silly? Its about to hit the cold cold days and I would hate to destroy my batteries. I did find their 12v version with low-temp protection, but I would like to stick with 24v batteries in parallel instead of 12s in series and then those in parallel. Also, those 12v would eat into the cost savings. Ach! Just wanted to keep everyone updated, especially if anyone comes through this thread in the future to learn from my journey. I know I have learned a lot from old threads.

Lol that's a good idea, just gotta catch a few squirrels a week to keep the dogs heating the batteries

Update: I just confirmed on the LiTime website that the LiTime batteries do not have any low-temp protection. That might be a deal breaker for me given my living situation, unless Im being silly? Its about to hit the cold cold days and I would hate to destroy my batteries.
That's up to you. I have no protection either I just watch the weather and know the performance of my stuff. Which is why I keep it at the "optimal" temp of 70-80 degrees instead of barely above 32 degrees

I know will is all about the cold temp cut off switches though

Now we are taking @JRH ! I do dog sit an Akbash occasionally, so Im really only 2 dogs away... But seriously, we are probably getting a dog in a few months, ha!
I wasn’t joking…that is and was a real thing to survive… .. the Siberians and eskimos would dig a hole in the snow and ice fields and pull the needed dogs inside to sleep with em at nite.. left alone the rest of the sleigh dogs would curl up with each other ….
That’s cool as hell ..

Lol that's a good idea, just gotta catch a few squirrels a week to keep the dogs heating the batteries

That's up to you. I have no protection either I just watch the weather and know the performance of my stuff. Which is why I keep it at the "optimal" temp of 70-80 degrees instead of barely above 32 degrees

I know will is all about the cold temp cut off switches though
Ooooh yes! Im sure I could come up with a few creative ways to keep those dogs happy in the battery house! I like all of the ideas I have learned today about temperature, batteries, etc. This is kind of thrilling, I might need to update to 48v in my future home just so that I can have another steep learning curve!
I wasn’t joking…that is and was a real thing to survive… .. the Siberians and eskimos would dig a hole in the snow and ice fields and pull the needed dogs inside to sleep with em at nite.. left alone the rest of the sleigh dogs would curl up with each other ….
That’s cool as hell ..
That is cool! I would do it, and the yurt would be perfect for it.

Reactions: JRH
Yep, those dogs are pretty much only outdoor dogs up in alaska, year around. It's pretty impressive... Definitely more impressive than lifepo4 batteries in cold temps :cry:
New batteries just came out like 3 months ago Yurt, Sodium ion and they can handle like -20 degrees and a few people are getting them now to start testing
so when you go to upgrade to 48volt keep in mind those may be plentiful by then (can buy them right now not much more than lifepo4 but less capacity, but they should go lower than lifepo4 prices in a few years or so with same capacity)

I don't think you'd have much of a learning curve though it's pretty similar, just need an inverter and chargers for the right voltage hehe

Very cool @Sam Cho TX ! Reading that website makes my head spin, Im not sure my level of knowledge in this area is strong enough for those products. Im hoping to find a rather simple solution to plug and play.
hahaha. Its easy to build, I built 3 the hardest part is installing cells and the v5 has it done already.

if you don't want to mess with building.

For me I would save the $175 and get the kit version instead.

Update: I just confirmed on the LiTime website that the LiTime batteries do not have any low-temp protection. That might be a deal breaker for me given my living situation, unless Im being silly? Its about to hit the cold cold days and I would hate to destroy my batteries. I did find their 12v version with low-temp protection, but I would like to stick with 24v batteries in parallel instead of 12s in series and then those in parallel. Also, those 12v would eat into the cost savings. Ach! Just wanted to keep everyone updated, especially if anyone comes through this thread in the future to learn from my journey. I know I have learned a lot from old threads.
That's not a total dealbreaker. Perhaps you can incorporate a Victron Temperature sensor on a BMV Battery monitor, or a Smart Battery Sense to monitor battery temperatures and tell the chargers not to charge when it is too cold.

Back