diy solar

diy solar

Epever Over Paneling; how much is too much?

South 190 degrees, tilt 30 degrees
no other location possible

solar panels are lit from 9 am to 6 pm, I can adjust my consumption by this time, the goal is to compensate for the air conditioning and filtration of the pool, the total power is a maximum of 1500 watts

did you do what you wanted? everything works?
I received the 6420AN a while back, and have most of what I need to complete. Just got the same-brand MC4s I needed Friday after waiting two decades and UPS messing up for over a week. Panel mount (short term ’cheap’ mounting base of 2x4s scarfed to a bit over 20’ and bolted to the side of my office trailer) is ready but I have a couple DC breakers and 10A MC4 fuses I’m waiting on.
So not there yet.
2S2P are invested in VOC 100 volts and 40 amps PV, but quite much exceed 1400 watts, there is also a maximum PV of 1600 watts in the instructions
I don’t have info on whether your equipment will tolerate the ~2400W cuz I don’t recall any posts of those who’ve done it. I suspect it will be fine. Epever reportedly does fine with superpaneling, but even some top shelf equipment publishes a watt limit.
I’m no EE but my homemade surmising is that some SCCs cannot overpanel a lot due to two primary design functions. First, depending on hardware and thereby software they don’t ‘respond’ to spikes quickly enough to safely curb the amps and in trying to they burn stuff out instead of blowing a fuse. Doesn’t mean cheap or badly designed necessarily but just designed for a specific range. Second, depending on the pcb and it’s tracings, resistors, etc they may vulnerable to unexpected power levels; things may fail open or closed. Closed would probably mean fire, open likely means not repairable damage. Again I’m no EE but there’s no other logical explanations to lean on.

So research and make sure is my advice.
If 2S aimed 90 degrees different from the other 2S, peak will be about 0.7x as high, 1700W peak. It will provide more uniform power through the day, a bit less total Wh compared to optimum orientation
This is probably a good strategy. It is not the reasons why I tried it (and kept with it) on my 4S2P 100W panel arrays but it does limit optimal peak which would be an advantage to you (you being OP).
There is an ancillary advantage to you if you can finagle two facings:
more uniform power through the day, a bit less total Wh compared to optimum orientation
…loads in daylight can be theoretically powered by solar later in the day reserving battery consumption closer to sunset. It’s not really adding battery capacity but on good sunny days it will act like you have more battery capacity.

My system will be live in a few weeks I think. If I was still 200W, or 400- and 600W I might be inclined to just skip the fuses and disconnects temporarily (and I did for a while) but by the time you’re 800W 88VOC and a potential of 46A+ it really is a lot of power and sufficient to wreck equipment at best or far more likely to start a good fire which isn’t good at all.

Reactions: mib
Back