diy solar

diy solar

Help me choose a new, compatible charge controller

@FilterGuy circling back on this - my charge controller finally died so I'm ready to hook up my pair of new Victron Smart 75/15. I decided to go with two controllers to hook up two panels and may buy a third if I need to hook up my last panel this winter. I have been using old 6 gauge Romex connected to MC4s and the new Victron only take 10 gauge, which I know you said was ok for 50 feet. I want to replace the wire with the correct product, but there are many different kinds. Can you advise on the type of wire I should order? Thank you!

Do a search for solar PV wire. This wire is designed with UV-resistant insulation that can withstand exposure to the sun.

June update: the two Victron 75|15 have been working wonders for the past 8 months. Thank you all for the recommendations! I ended up not adding a shut off and just throw a tarp over the panels when I need to do work on the system.

We added a small chest freezer this week and the system is not keeping up, so I'm going to add another (3rd) panel and 75|15 to the system with 50 feet of solar wire with MC4s.

I still have not upgraded my batteries and will post separately to get your advice on what to look for.

Thank you!

@FilterGuy

Back