diy solar

diy solar

Help me come up with a plan for (2) more 400w panels on a small trailer

Watts Happening

I call it like I see it.
I've got the trailer pictured below, it's a 7x12, very well insulated, dual Victron 3000's, 15kWh battery bank, 48v, mini split up front. The roof has 1,600w of Q.Cells, which generally is far more than I need, but I have two more panels collecting dust.

Do I mount them on a hinge just to the left of the door with gas struts and have a "solar awning", which makes for an easy deployment, but then always there, always getting the stress of driving etc.

Or, do I come up with a solution for an ""easy"" ground deploy of them. Sucks to move them around but gives me the freedom to stick them in the sun when we're otherwise not able to get much power via the roof.

They're 41x74", weigh 48 pounds each and I have to deploy them as a pair (roof is 2s2p, plenty of room left on the Victron 150/85 I had laying around).

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4711.jpeg
    IMG_4711.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 21
My vote is to raise the existing panels on that side up a bit and put them underneath with HD drawer slides. Latch on the end to secure when you want them in, when you want them out, simply unlatch and slide out.

No additional stress when in motion and doesn't take up more than a couple inches.

You said you do not need them.
What about mount them to 1x1 aluminum tubes and temporarily mount that to vehicle roof? ..something that is quick to add for a trip, then just run necessary cables however you want to the battery.
The side mount with solar awning is a good idea and if that side is facing south then you will get solar even in wall configuration. How rough is the ride in the trailer? It is on springs, I know in my truck it is not a jolting earthquake experience when driving, IDT stuff gets abused like you think when driving pavement.
I was thinking of adding 200 more watts as fold-down on the side, or the back, but just really do not need extra yet, so will wait on that. Keep your extra forshtf situations.

Side hinge mount. Raise one 45 degrees and the other side 135 degrees. You can "tilt" your trailer array and amp up your wattage. Depending on how the trailer is pointed the side flips can be reversed.

I like the awing idea - put both on a frame above the door. Then hinge them. When traveling they fold down and cover the door. Have a solid mechanical attachment point. Deploy them then walk in the trailer. That way you always have a area protected from rain and a nice heavy duty awning.

I vote awning

i-NHbhXhp-XL.jpg

i-Vb7DTC6-XL.jpg

i-HX3fZq3-XL.jpg

I did something similar with only 1x100 watt panel. On a truck camper, where the rear door is at the rear, I put the solar panel mostly hanging over the back, like this one, but it was stationary, and made a great entry awning and kept rain water off the door too.
Inspired by the deployable rear wing things on semi trailers, so I assume it decreased drag slightly too.

Sweet thanks for the info. Didn't realize it was a towable. 45ft is the limit for RVs and just assumed. 8'6" is legal width. 65ft long is the legal length for truck and trailer in many states so seems they maxed it out for this.

If it were me, I would permanently mount them to the sides or make an awning.

With a 2 inch air gap - will help to act as shade and keep out some of the sun's heat.

When the sun is low in the sky - it will generate some power.

If hard mounted to the sides, the panels will be generating power at a different time of day than the roof mount panels - so might be able to use the existing controllers.

Last edited:
Back