diy solar

diy solar

Help me configure my panels

gnoeld

I am attaching the panel info
I have 6 panels and need to connect them to get max amps for charging 600ah lifepo batteries.
My system equipment is 12 volt and my batteries are 100 feet from my panels with 10 gauge solar wire connecting them
Currently have them connected to produce approximately 104 volts and 18 amps

Attachments

• pv panels 2.jpg
    pv panels 2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 6
With no panel information provided, I have to assume you have them configured for 3S2P?

That's probably the best option provided your voltage is under the max limit for your MPPT with at least 10% temperature margin.

Calculate your voltage drop (estimated resistance):

Use 3X Vmp and 2X Isc values.

Anything less than 3% is good.

With no panel information provided, I have to assume you have them configured for 3S2P?

That's probably the best option provided your voltage is under the max limit for your MPPT with at least 10% temperature margin.

Calculate your voltage drop (estimated resistance):

Use 3X Vmp and 2X Isc values.

Anything less than 3% is good.
check again
i added it

What solar charge controller do you have?
What is the coldest temperatures you could possible ever see where your panels will live?
How are your panels mounted? On a roof? On a ground mount? Are they tiltable? What direction to they face?

What solar charge controller do you have?
What is the coldest temperatures you could possible ever see where your panels will live?
How are your panels mounted? On a roof? On a ground mount? Are they tiltable? What direction to they face?
Renogy 150/60 MPPT
In Arizona coldest 32 degrees maybe twice in winter avg about 40 degrees
Mounted on my flatroof that gets 100% sun from 7 in the morning untill 5 at night
They face ENE
I am also currently running 10Gauge wire from panels

OK, you have 6 250W panels for a total of 1500W. This is on a 12V system. 1500W / 12V = 125A of possible charge current. Your SCC only supports 60A. If the batteries are at 13.5V then 1500W / 13.5V = 111A. Given the flat mounting and poor direction (ENE instead of S) you'll rarely if ever get anywhere near 1500W out of the panel.

You can only make use of 3, maybe 4 of your panels with your current SCC. You need a second 60A (even 50A) SCC to use all 6 panels to their fullest potential. Put 3 panels in series with one controller and 3 panels in series with the 2nd controller and you will get the most out of your 6 panels.

Another option is to replace your existing SCC with one that supports 100A. A 100A controller on a battery that is charging at 13.5V can handle 1350W of solar. Given your flat mounting and poor panel direction you will never see the full 1500W from your panels. If you have a 150/100 SCC you could put the 6 panels in a 3S2P arrangement and be able to make use of up to about 1350W.

OK, you have 6 250W panels for a total of 1500W. This is on a 12V system. 1500W / 12V = 125A of possible charge current. Your SCC only supports 60A. If the batteries are at 13.5V then 1500W / 13.5V = 111A. Given the flat mounting and poor direction (ENE instead of S) you'll rarely if ever get anywhere near 1500W out of the panel.

You can only make use of 3, maybe 4 of your panels with your current SCC. You need a second 60A (even 50A) SCC to use all 6 panels to their fullest potential. Put 3 panels in series with one controller and 3 panels in series with the 2nd controller and you will get the most out of your 6 panels.

Another option is to replace your existing SCC with one that supports 100A. A 100A controller on a battery that is charging at 13.5V can handle 1350W of solar. Given your flat mounting and poor panel direction you will never see the full 1500W from your panels. If you have a 150/100 SCC you could put the 6 panels in a 3S2P arrangement and be able to make use of up to about 1350W.
I currently have 2 sets of 3 in series into the one CC. On any given day I am 90 volts and 18 amps from the CC but I need more amps. It looks like I am getting 9 amps from each series

I currently have 2 sets of 3 in series into the one CC. On any given day I am 90 volts and 18 amps from the CC but I need more amps. It looks like I am getting 9 amps from each series
1. Don't confuse voltage and amperage going into the SCC from the panels with the battery charge voltage and amperage coming out of the SCC.
2. In theory your 3S2P panel arrangement can produce about 90V at about 17A (1500W) but your SCC can't make use of it all.
3. Your 60A SCC on a 12V system can only make use of about 800W of solar out of your 1500W. This is why you need a 2nd controller or a larger controller.
4. Your 60A SCC can output up to 60A into your batteries. What is the actual battery charge current? If your battery was low enough and/or your loads were high enough you should be seeing close to 60A of charge current.

What you are saying makes sense. So much to learn for me
So should I disconnect one set and see what it does?

To put it another way, assuming you charge to about 14.4V:

14.4V * 60A = 864W = the maximum you will ever get out of that controller. Any additional array power does not get used.

If you look at the manual for your renogy, it will list a maximum power, which should be similar to the calculation.

Per @rmaddy, if you want more power from your array, you need a second 60A controller to use your full array. 3S panels on each controller.

If I wire 3 panels like this what would the Volts and Amps be? i am a little confused.

Attachments

• 2s1p.jpg
    2s1p.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 8
You can't (shouldn't) wire your panels like that. You are trying to put 1 panel in parallel with 2 panels that are in series. That will give you terrible results. Just put 3 in series on each of the two controllers. Your 150V controller can easily handle 3 of those panels in series.

Last edited:
I was trying to figure out how to not spend anymore money!
Put 4 panels in 2S2P on your 150/60 SCC. When money and time allow you can get a second SCC and use the all 6 panels.

What would the voltage and amps look like?
Would it be 120V/27A?

Last edited:
Put 4 panels in 2S2P on your 150/60 SCC. When money and time allow you can get a second SCC and use the all 6 panels.
Would it be 120V/27A?

Last edited:
The input would be up to 2 times the voltage of one panel and 2 times the amperage of one panel.

4 250W panels would be 1000W. On a 12V system you could max out the 60A charge current. This of course assumes your battery and/or loads can take 60A of current at the moment and your 4 panels can produce 800W given the current solar conditions.

So for wire calculation I need to travel 100 feet to CC from panels. What would the Amps and volts be?
60V and 18 amps?
I keep confusing myself, 2 in series would be 60V and 9Amps add 2 in Parallel and it would be 60V and 27Amps?

So for wire calculation I need to travel 100 feet to CC from panels. What would the Amps and volts be?
60V and 18 amps?
I keep confusing myself, 2 in series would be 60V and 9Amps add 2 in Parallel and it would be 60V and 27Amps?
You had it right the first time. As I said, with 2S2P it's 2 times the voltage and 2 times the amperage of one panel.

1 panel is 30V, 9A
2 in series (2S) is 60V, 9A
2 more in series (2S) is also 60V, 9A
Put those two strings in parallel (2S2P) and it's 60V, 18A.

Back