diy solar

diy solar

Help needed for my first mini system!

@ladycage I would suggest not to try to do current limiting with a breaker.
The battery has a bms that will protect it.
I suggest one of these
on one of these
To protect the battery and battery circuit in case the BMS fails.

Just be careful not to push the battery and BMS to hard.
If the battery does not have a smart BMS I suggest you add a shunt so that you can see how much current you are drawing.
This one is pretty reasonable

I decided to buy 2 12v 100ah batteries so I will make the system 24v which should still be safe for me to start with according to Will Prowse video. Now I need to find a all in one 24v controller so I don't have to buy inverter and controller again

I decided to buy 2 12v 100ah batteries so I will make the system 24v which should still be safe for me to start with according to Will Prowse video. Now I need to find a all in one 24v controller so I don't have to buy inverter and controller again
Just be aware that an AIO will use more idle power than separate components. Some of them can be up to 60w, almost 1.5kwh over 24 hours, that might quickly drain your battery.

I went 24v too but got a Giandel 2kw inverter and a separate charger, a MeanWell 450w NPB. This also means I can control the charging very easily with just a smart plug which helps me make use of our variable rate electricity prices. Most AIO systems would only let you assign a time segment during which to charge at best.

Just be aware that an AIO will use more idle power than separate components. Some of them can be up to 60w, almost 1.5kwh over 24 hours, that might quickly drain your battery.

I went 24v too but got a Giandel 2kw inverter and a separate charger, a MeanWell 450w NPB. This also means I can control the charging very easily with just a smart plug which helps me make use of our variable rate electricity prices. Most AIO systems would only let you assign a time segment during which to charge at best.
I ended up getting the 24v Giandel inverter also since Will Prowse recommended it in his 24v video. What does NPB stand for??? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!!!

I ended up getting the 24v Giandel inverter also since Will Prowse recommended it in his 24v video. What does NPB stand for??? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!!!

The NPB model handles charging of LifePo4 batteries whereas the slightly cheaper NPP one as far as I can tell does not. Depending on your battery size and usage you might want to get a larger charger. I am struggling to keep my battery charged with this one but I intend on adding in solar charging this summer.

The NPB model handles charging of LifePo4 batteries whereas the slightly cheaper NPP one as far as I can tell does not. Depending on your battery size and usage you might want to get a larger charger. I am struggling to keep my battery charged with this one but I intend on adding in solar charging this summer.
I was planning on using solar panels to charge the batteries, I didn't know I needed a separate charger also. My husband bought me 2 more 100W panels for Valentine's Day so I have 6 - 100W panels now and 1 portable 100W panel. I plan on building my system up slowly adding to it a little at a time.

I was planning on using solar panels to charge the batteries, I didn't know I needed a separate charger also. My husband bought me 2 more 100W panels for Valentine's Day so I have 6 - 100W panels now and 1 portable 100W panel. I plan on building my system up slowly adding to it a little at a time.
Ah you don't need one, it's only if you ever want to charge from mains power.

How is your system working for you so far? Have you had any problems with it?
It's all been working very well. I had to add an inline buck converter to the fans of the inverter as they were very noisy and its sat beside my desk. I lower them from 24v down to around 13v. It means they come on a bit more often but I can atleast hear myself think when they're on.

The only other issue is as I said I struggle to keep it charged. Once I add solar that won't be an issue. I also intend to add an ATS so that it will pull grid power in case the battery goes too low. Just looking for a good one.

Back