diy solar

diy solar

Help request to design an Energy Storage System

someone7

Hey everyone, I’m a beginner and I’m looking forward for help to designing my DIY grid-tied solar system for two different options/scenarios which I would like to compare and choose. I’m looking for an Energy Storage System (ESS), it is a specific type of power system that integrates a power grid connection with a Victron Inverter/Charger, GX device, and battery system. Below the diagram of the ESS, are the two different scenarios. The location is SEVILLA, SPAIN.

1666115727969.png

Scenario 1​

ESS functionality

When the grid is down, we would like to power our essential loads from the batts and at least 12kWh of continuous max power for essential loads.

30kWh battery storage.

When the grid is up, we will have at least 27.6kVA of continuous max power available for all the loads from the grid. The expected continuous power consumption (24h day), when the grid is up is to be around 10kW * 24h.

For this, I would like to have two different PV systems, one to charge the batteries (PV on DC) with the right size and power, and another PV system (PV on AC output) to offset our power usage from the grid and/or the batteries.

Scenario 2​

ESS functionality

When the grid is down, we would like to power our essential loads from the batts and at least 15kWh of continuous max power for essential loads.

60kWh battery storage.

When the grid is up, we will have at least 27.6kVA of continuous max power available for all the loads from the grid. The expected continuous power consumption (24h day), when the grid is up is to be around 16kW * 24h.

For this, I would like to have two different PV systems, one to charge the batteries (PV on DC) with the right size and power, and another PV system (PV on AC output) to offset our power usage from the grid and/or the batteries.

Design/planning help request​

What I would like to know is what equipment will be needed for each setup above described. I would like to determine the right size for the PV system on DC to power our batteries during the day. And I would like to determine the right size for the PV system on AC to offset our power usage from the grid and/or the batteries. Imagine there are no constraints on the size of these PV systems, the only thing I’m looking for is the optimal setup to maximize my investment.

The equipment vendors that we can use are:

• VICTRON ENERGY
  • BYD LITHIUM BATTERIES
  • FRONIUS
  • No restrictions on PV panels.

Finally, I would like to know if it would be worth it to have power optimizers per PV panel given the fact that shade won’t be a problem.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I’m a beginner and I’m looking forward for help to designing my DIY grid-tied solar system for two different options/scenarios which I would like to compare and choose. I’m looking for an Energy Storage System (ESS), it is a specific type of power system that integrates a power grid connection with a Victron Inverter/Charger, GX device, and battery system. Below the diagram of the ESS, are the two different scenarios. The location is SEVILLA, SPAIN.

View attachment 116901

Scenario 1​

ESS functionality

When the grid is down, we would like to power our essential loads from the batts and at least 12kWh of continuous max power for essential loads.

30kWh battery storage.

When the grid is up, we will have at least 27.6kVA of continuous max power available for all the loads from the grid. The expected continuous power consumption (24h day), when the grid is up is to be around 10kW * 24h.

Scenario 2​

ESS functionality

When the grid is down, we would like to power our essential loads from the batts and at least 15kWh of continuous max power for essential loads.

60kWh battery storage.

When the grid is up, we will have at least 27.6kVA of continuous max power available for all the loads from the grid. The expected continuous power consumption (24h day), when the grid is up is to be around 16kW * 24h.

Design/planning help request​

What I would like to know is what equipment will be needed for each setup above described. I would like to determine the right size for the PV system on DC to power our batteries during the day. And I would like to determine the right size for the PV system on AC to offset our power usage from the grid and/or the batteries. Imagine there are no constraints on the size of these PV systems, the only thing I’m looking for is the optimal setup to maximize my investment.

The equipment vendors that we can use are:

• VICTRON ENERGY
  • BYD LITHIUM BATTERIES
  • FRONIUS
  • No restrictions on PV panels.

Finally, I would like to know if it would be worth it to have power optimizers per PV panel given the fact that shade won’t be a problem.

Thank you so much for all your help.
I have some questions:

If you have unlimited space available for solar panel arrays, why would you want to make your overall system more complex by having two separate solar circuits, one for battery charging and a second one for powering your inverter for A.C. loads?
EDIT:
The battery pack functions not only as an energy storage device, but also as an UPS to even out the dips and peaks of power coming from your panels, thereby making life easier for your inverter, both on the D.C. and A.C. sides.
Secondly, what is your reason for being grid tied? Are you hoping to somehow make money by selling power back to the grid?
If I had unlimited space for solar panels, I would design and build an off-grid system to power my home and provide for my family, thereby severing my dependence on an unreliable and unpredictable power grid, given the increasingly unstable condition of Europe's economy and supply chains.

I have some questions:

If you have unlimited space available for solar panel arrays, why would you want to make your overall system more complex by having two separate solar circuits, one for battery charging and a second one for powering your inverter for A.C. loads?
EDIT:
The battery pack functions not only as an energy storage device, but also as an UPS to even out the dips and peaks of power coming from your panels, thereby making life easier for your inverter, both on the D.C. and A.C. sides.
Secondly, what is your reason for being grid tied? Are you hoping to somehow make money by selling power back to the grid?
If I had unlimited space for solar panels, I would design and build an off-grid system to power my home and provide for my family, thereby severing my dependence on an unreliable and unpredictable power grid, given the increasingly unstable condition of Europe's economy and supply chains.
You're absolutely correct in your assessment. But the main reason that I want this specific design is to speed up my RoI by mining crypto, but in order to do this on a substantial scale I'll need to use grid power to mine with cheap off-peak grid rates that are available. This is an intermediary step to being completely off-grid eventually.

Regarding having both DC coupling and AC coupling circuits is to do with something else. I have unlimited space for solar panels, but there is a catch that was not mentioned, close to the system (i.e. batteries, MPPTs, hybrid inverter, etc.) I just have enough space for a few panels, those will be for DC coupling to charge the batteries. The rest of the panels will have to be installed further away and for that AC circuit will be best suited.

Last edited:
Back