diy solar

diy solar

HELP! Schneider Conext SW and ComBox

JoeHam

Solar Wizard
So I got my SW 4048 up and running with my critical loads panel connected. Worked fine.

Then I hooked up the ComBox and established communications with the Conext SW.

While testing the communications I hit the standby tab. I now know that this immediately shuts down the entire system, which also had my router and internet modem on it so all communications were lost.

I got alternate power to the internet stuff and now the ComBox will not talk to the Conext SW. From what I am reading there is NO way to reset the Conext SW without a working Combox- OUCH. It is in permanent shut down until I can re-establish control from the combox.

I have tried multiple times to reboot the Combox, no luck.

I have reset the Combox by disconnecting everything and powering up while depressing the reset button as instructed. NO luck again, and again.

Now the Combox has a permanent red status LED lit and is non-responsive.

Any ideas on what to try now?

It looks like a long night figuring out how to repower my refrigerator etc. while this total system shutdown and lockout persists. Sheesh, why do I have to learn everything the hard way?

Do you have a second inverter... even a 12 volt one? You could tap the battery to at least get the refer running. Worry about balancing later.

Extension cords from grid outlets now connected to sump pump, refrigerator etc. Looks a mess but it works.

I have learned that not holding the reset button for long enough during power up doesn’t do a Combox reset. I don’t think that’s my problem.

It also turns out that holding the reset button too long erases the firmware in the ComBox. I am afraid that might be my problem.

I cannot find the firmware files on the Schneider site since they no longer sell the Combox although I just bought mine a few weeks ago.

Once I find a firmware file I will need to figure out how to load it without working comms. I think it might load from a USB drive during boot up but until I find the file and try that it’s all theoretical.

Meanwhile the new inverter remains bricked due to the ComBox, grrrr.

Here is the page on the Schneider web site with the firmware and manuals

Thanks @GXMnow !

Couldn’t see it when I was looking after midnight ?

Hopefully I can get it to load from a USB stick later today.

So all's well that ends well but I wanted to do a post-mortem and button this thread up.

When you click on the standby button in the ComBox software it will shut everything down. The inverter is unable to be restarted without re-establishing communications, even from the physical buttons on the front of the inverter. Since my router was on the critical loads panel the ComBox lost it's mind when the power went off.

Next, as noted above a 5 second press of the reset button does just that, a reset. If you hold the reset for 10 seconds it deletes all firmware from the ComBox. That was a surprise to me!

After all this happened I found the 125 page ComBox manual on the internet (one was not supplied with my new ComBox) and learned all of the above. At least when I learn stuff the hard way I never forget it :cool:.

The link from GXMnow above is indeed to the firmware needed to bring things back to life and also to the manual which I found in the wee hours of the morning today.

Schneider support also was helpful here as I opened a support ticket around midnight and they had sent the same firmware and manuals just after 9 this morning as well.

So, lesson learned and I thought it best to detail my ignorance here in the hopes it might help someone else in the future!

Glad to hear you got it all back running. The Schneider hardware is some great stuff, but I do have a few issues with their software. I am sure they have some crazy reason why you can software lock up a box and the power switch can't turn it back on???? For my XW system, I am going to be powering my Conext Gateway and ethernet switch with a DC-DC converter off of the battery bank.

If you haven't done it I highly recommend you get the latest firmware on your SW4048. They took them off the market for a while in 2016 because of a major issue. Not sure if the fix was just software or hardware also. Here is our story:

SW4048 at our off grid place. A few weeks before I had received a Combox in the mail from Schneider with a flash drive but no explanation of any issues. I had no idea why they sent it to me but I wasn't going to complain.

I was running my diesel genset while the wife was running the washer and dryer which were close to the solar equipment. I kicked off the genset while the washer and dryer were running (well pump could also have been running but not sure). I heard wife scream and she ran outside to tell me that the inverter blew up and was on fire. I didn't believe her until I went inside and saw smoke billowing from the inverter.

Turns out there was a critical software update and that is why Schneider sent me the Combox. When I called them they asked me if I had installed the update. I said I had no idea there was an issue or an update. They agreed to warranty the inverter but said they couldn't get me one for six months. Before I could open my mouth to say that was unacceptable they said they were going to send me an XW5048 and the prewired PDP and pay for my installation labor. I installed it myself and it was very inconvenient but in the end the best fire I've ever experienced.

Turns out the inverter just blew a big capacitor when the genset was turned off and the loads immediately went on the inverter. The new firmware was supposed to prevent this. I assume since they pulled them off the market there was also some hardware changes.

Although I know the XW can handle it I'm careful not to kick off the genset with multiple large loads running.

This is why we al need to register our equipment, so we can be notified if they find an issue like that. I do not do all software updates, but when one comes out, I always read the page about what changes are in the update. And I hope they will include any mention of fixing a serious bug like that. I am still on the 1.08 firmware on my Gateway as there have been reports of new bugs in the 1.09 version they just released. And I have to leave my XW-Pro inverter at 1.03 as the new firmware only works with 1.09 on the Gateway. But there was nothing in the update about any safety issue, just new features. So I keep watching until they fix it.

Schneider = Great hardware + flawed software

Off-grid 30+ years; I am now six years in with an all Schneider system: SW4024/Conext Switchgear, MPPT 60 150 CC (2), Combox & SCP. Yes, I had some software issues - I bricked my 4024 doing a firmware upgrade (my bad - basically the same way @JoeHam did - but Schneider support walked me through the restart). Currently, I am 50/50 AC & DC coupled - with 6kw of SE/S/W panels - using Enphase M215s for the AC couple, and about 15kwh of LFP. So far, (6yrs) the Conext system has worked flawlessly - their firmware upgrades allowed me to add the AC couple and double my solar production. I am able to adjust charge parameters on the fly with my iPad, graph my total production by the day/mo/year, run a mini-split heat pump, charge my Chevy Volt, cook with a microwave, use a standard fridge, spin the ceiling fans, kenmore washing machine and the dryer (propane), and generally just live peacefully. The only time I start the generator is to keep it warmed up (can't let 'em sit for 6 months, I learned that lesson the hard way). So YMMV, but I am something of a Schneider fan boy. Best to all for '21.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.31.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.31.47 PM.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 2.37.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 2.37.38 PM.png
    139 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 1.17.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 1.17.54 PM.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Battery Room.JPG
    Battery Room.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Conext install.JPG
    Conext install.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 25
Off-grid 30+ years; I am now six years in with an all Schneider system: SW4024/Conext Switchgear, MPPT 60 150 CC (2), Combox & SCP. Yes, I had some software issues - I bricked my 4024 doing a firmware upgrade (my bad - basically the same way @JoeHam did - but Schneider support walked me through the restart). Currently, I am 50/50 AC & DC coupled - with 6kw of SE/S/W panels - using Enphase M215s for the AC couple, and about 15kwh of LFP. So far, (6yrs) the Conext system has worked flawlessly - their firmware upgrades allowed me to add the AC couple and double my solar production. I am able to adjust charge parameters on the fly with my iPad, graph my total production by the day/mo/year, run a mini-split heat pump, charge my Chevy Volt, cook with a microwave, use a standard fridge, spin the ceiling fans, kenmore washing machine and the dryer (propane), and generally just live peacefully. The only time I start the generator is to keep it warmed up (can't let 'em sit for 6 months, I learned that lesson the hard way). So YMMV, but I am something of a Schneider fan boy. Best to all for '21.
I may have come off a little harsh regarding my Conext equipment. My equipment runs everything I have thrown at it and more. I just miss the days that Schneider answered the phone with great tech support and did semi regular firmware updates. They never did add the Trojan spec equalization voltage that they promised but not that big of a deal. It's very reliable hardware and that's what matters most.

I totally agree. I am very happy with my Schneider XW-Pro 6848 and my Gateway as far as the hardware goes. The inverter is rock solid and completely stable. The problem is the software has a few minor issues that they don't even care to try and fix. And the tech support I spoke to about it had no clue why the issues even exist. let alone a solution for it. If I had any DC coupled solar, I would not have the issue I am having. All of my solar is AC coupled. So no matter how I set it up, it will only run for one day, and then sit idle. It is a totally stupid issue. The inverter shuts down at 0.5 volts above the battery recharge voltage setting. And then it will not charge, because, guess what... The battery is still above the recharge voltage setting. For off grid with DC solar, or backup power, it is near flawless. Even the high pitch whine I complained about when it was new has calmed down a lot. The output wave is clean and stable, even under extreme load changes. It can suck up all of my solar power and feed it back into my battery bank without breaking a sweat. But while I am on grid, it CAN'T do power time shifting. I am still trying to learn how to program a small PLC to adjust the settings twice a day to make it charge when the sun is up, and then go into grid support when the electric rate doubles as the sun goes down. I may need backup power a few days a year at most. I want to use my solar power in the evening when So Cal Edison kicks my rate up to 42 cents and save up to $2 a day to help pay for my backup battery system. This could be easily written into the Gateway to send the commands, but NOPE. Their answer was to move half of my solar array from microinverters to a DC coupled charge controller.

So all's well that ends well but I wanted to do a post-mortem and button this thread up.

When you click on the standby button in the ComBox software it will shut everything down. The inverter is unable to be restarted without re-establishing communications, even from the physical buttons on the front of the inverter. Since my router was on the critical loads panel the ComBox lost it's mind when the power went off.

Next, as noted above a 5 second press of the reset button does just that, a reset. If you hold the reset for 10 seconds it deletes all firmware from the ComBox. That was a surprise to me!

After all this happened I found the 125 page ComBox manual on the internet (one was not supplied with my new ComBox) and learned all of the above. At least when I learn stuff the hard way I never forget it :cool:.

The link from GXMnow above is indeed to the firmware needed to bring things back to life and also to the manual which I found in the wee hours of the morning today.

Schneider support also was helpful here as I opened a support ticket around midnight and they had sent the same firmware and manuals just after 9 this morning as well.

So, lesson learned and I thought it best to detail my ignorance here in the hopes it might help someone else in the future!
My combox will not even communicate with my new sw4048? Probably have to return it and get a growatt

Do that if you want.

Perhaps if you can detail exactly how you hooked it up someone here might be able to help. No guarantee of course.

Here is my CRITICAL load, 12vdc and 51.2vdc, with Generator and Propane can Sustain loads' for a week, with 9 sun, not as much as others - but if the Texas Grid goes down/off We're good, Joe
1639702413219.png

Hello, I bought a used Combox with no USB Firmware device and the Schneider Combox support link has been removed. Does anyone know where else to find this Firmware? My system is the Conext SW4048, in case it matters.Thanks in advance.

Although there is a bunch of warnings listed on the link provided in post #5 I still see firmware downloads further down that page.

diy solar

diy solar
Back