diy solar

diy solar

Help wiring a changeover switch

slowbutsure

Hi

I have bought a rotary manual change over switch (link below). But it did not come with any instructions on how to wire it. Can anyone help me with this? I want to connect my inverter and the grid. Thanks.

Based on the Switch's schematic as shown on the top left, here is how it is to be connected.
1654520941574.png
If turned to Position 0, LOAD is completely disconnected
If turned to Position 1, LOAD is connected to GRID
If turned to Position 2, LOAD is connected to Inverter

Last edited:
Based on the Switch's schematic as shown on the top left, here is how it is to be connected.
View attachment 97473

That is really helpful, thanks. Which would be the live and neutrals? And I assume I would connect all the earth / grounds outside the switch? Thanks.

To be consistent, make all Lefts (of each pair) as Line, and Rights as Neutral.
ie:
#1, #3, #2#4 as L
#5, #7, #6#8 as N
Thanks. Do I need to join 2 to 4, and 6 to 8? That’s what your diagram looks like, so just double checking. Thanks.

I’ve wired it up but the power is on no matter the switch position. I think I have the switch right so need to see where the be gone wrong.

unhook everything, use a continuity tester, put it to ZERO position, and check for continuity, to see if said switch is shorted or not.

need video? search "rotary cam switch"

PS. Notice that your rotary switch came in 2 disks. 1st disk is numbered 1234, the 2nd disk is numbered 5678.
Other variants are 3 disks (for 3phase), 4 disks (for 3phase + N).
Make sure: LINE is connected to one disk, Neutral is connected to the other disk.

Last edited:
Sorted. Your wiring explanation was excellent, my execution less so. All working now though, thanks.

View attachment 97473

Hi,

I bought another one of these switches and have wired it to the house main consumer unit, lighting circuit only. Position 1 works fine for grid power. Position 0 works fine for off. Position 2 for solar power brings the nearest light on flickering. Ive checked with a meter and the solar cable is 240v, we run our tv, fridge and freezer from it fine.

In terms of wiring, i look the power from the top of the circuit breaker for the lights for the mains power. And the wire that was in the top of the lighting circuit breaker i connected to the output from the switch. The earths, and neutrals i just wired to their respective bus bars. I can't see any problem with the wiring at that end. But i maybe missing something?

At the other (solar end) I have a 6amp circuit breaker (in a garage consumer unit) which is fed by the inverter. It also has the same transfer switch (that you helped me with last time) for grid or solar.

I am wondering if it's earth related. When i remove the solar earth from the house consumer unit it doesn't make any difference, still one flickering light. But the tv etc runs from the same solar consumer unit without any issues.

If you have any thoughts / ideas it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hook up 3,7 to a proven reliable power source - the GRID, then see if your load/light still flickers.

There are only Two (2) possible outcomes:

If it still flickers, it means the Switch is bad.

If it does not flicker, then your "Solar Power" is bad.

Is the flickering light an LED?
HMM! That is another possibility I did not consider! a faulty light, or light that is sensitive to high frequency, or bad wiring to the light?

He did say only this one light flickers, but the TV, ref are ok.

Last edited:
I tried another switch and had the same issue, though it’s tripping the fuse now. Lights work fine on mains. It’s not the lights or the switch. And I do have lights working via an extension lead. I did try the grid going to both position 1 & 2 in the switch but same results.

I must be wiring it up wrong, I can’t see any other possibility. I know grid wiring is more complex than DC. Might need an electrician!

In the consumer unit:

1. I’m taking a wire to the top of the circuit breaker for the mains power to the switch.

2. I’ve connected the live switch output to the wire that was coming out of the circuit breaker.

3. Neutrals and earth going to respective bus bars.

Solar power from garage consumer unit fed by inverter wired up to the 2nd power inputs in the switch.

Position 1 works for grid power
Position 0 works for off.
Position 2. Trips the breaker

Last edited:
I tried another switch and had the same issue, though it’s tripping the fuse now. Lights work fine on mains. It’s not the lights or the switch. And I do have lights working via an extension lead. I did try the grid going to both position 1 & 2 in the switch but same results.

I must be wiring it up wrong, I can’t see any other possibility. I know grid wiring is more complex than DC. Might need an electrician!

In the consumer unit:

1. I’m taking a wire to the top of the circuit breaker for the mains power to the switch.

2. I’ve connected the live switch output to the wire that was coming out of the circuit breaker.

3. Neutrals and earth going to respective bus bars.

Solar power from garage consumer unit fed by inverter wired up to the 2nd power inputs in the switch.

Position 1 works for grid power
Position 0 works for off.
Position 2. Trips the break
I have one of those switches at home. I will check it out. Also is this DC or AC you are pushing through this switch?

I had bought a couple of these. I was going to do what you are trying to do. I decided to just use a manual transfer switch so I could cover more circuits. Plus it was easier for my wife to understand.

why not take a multimeter and measure it out, what connects to what at 0, 1, 2 ?

Back