diy solar

diy solar

Help wiring a changeover switch

I have one of those switches at home. I will check it out. Also is this DC or AC you are pushing through this switch?

It’s AC.
why not take a multimeter and measure it out, what connects to what at 0, 1, 2 ?

I’ve done that. The switch is working as it should and live with both power supplies. It must be how I’m wiring it into the consumer unit but I can’t see what I’m doing wrong.

Ok, let me ask a couple of questions.
When connected to grid power everything works perfect, correct?
Then when you change to then other power source, you have issues correct?
Going to ask a dumb question, have you checked the voltage from the grid compared to your other power source?
Your other power source is an inverter drawing its power from a battery bank, correct?
Is the inverter a pure sine wave or modified sine wave?
Are you trying to come straight from a controller to feed power without going through an inverter?
Not taking anything for granted since I am not seeing a lot of info.
If you have checked everything out and you see no problem, have you tried to bypass the rocker switch that you are working on and just connect the wiring with the light directly to your inverter feed without using the switch? If it works then it is your wiring to your switch or the switch itself. If it does not work wired direct, it is something from your power source and does not have anything to do with the switch.

My understanding of your switch based on the posted schematic is:

1) position 1 mates terminals 1 with 2 and 5 with 6

2) position 0 all switches are open

3) position 2 mates terminals 3 with 4 and 7 with 8

Ok, let me ask a couple of questions.
When connected to grid power everything works perfect, correct?
Then when you change to then other power source, you have issues correct?
Going to ask a dumb question, have you checked the voltage from the grid compared to your other power source?
Your other power source is an inverter drawing its power from a battery bank, correct?
Is the inverter a pure sine wave or modified sine wave?
Are you trying to come straight from a controller to feed power without going through an inverter?
Not taking anything for granted since I am not seeing a lot of info.
If you have checked everything out and you see no problem, have you tried to bypass the rocker switch that you are working on and just connect the wiring with the light directly to your inverter feed without using the switch? If it works then it is your wiring to your switch or the switch itself. If it does not work wired direct, it is something from your power source and does not have anything to do with the switch.

Thanks. Yes, through a pure sign wave inverter. I run the tv from it and some ac led lights and they work fine. Voltage is the same, 240v +-

When you say rocker switch do you mean the transfer switch or the circuit breaker or n the fuse box?

Finally sorted. It was a wiring problem. I was putting the neutral into the buss bar but it had to be connected directly to the lighting circuit neutral. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Positively, I now have all my house lights running on Solar, whoop!

Onwards and upwards!

I now want to fit this same switch in the kitchen but don’t know if it’s possible or if I need to add another switch or something?

Position 1: solar power - to washing machine

Position 2: Solar power - to dishwasher

Position 0 : off

So it’s not selecting two power sources, it’s selecting two different outputs from one power source. Is that doable?

Thanks,

Onwards and upwards!

I now want to fit this same switch in the kitchen but don’t know if it’s possible or if I need to add another switch or something?

So it’s not selecting two power sources, it’s selecting two different outputs from one power source. Is that doable?

Thanks,
doable.

from the original photo:
1655986017716.png
LOAD will be your POWER SOURCE (ie, Solar Power)
GRID will be washing Machine
INVERTER will be Dishwasher

Finally sorted. It was a wiring problem. I was putting the neutral into the buss bar but it had to be connected directly to the lighting circuit neutral. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Positively, I now have all my house lights running on Solar, whoop!
Fantastic

Onwards and upwards!

Thanks,
This is one reason that is one reason that I used a manual transfer switch that had 10 circuits. It is easier than have a bunch or individual rotary switches.

Last edited:
That is really helpful, thanks. Which would be the live and neutrals? And I assume I would connect all the earth / grounds outside the switch? Thanks.
Hi. I just wanted to confirm that the earth wires would be connected outside of the switch? Thanks

Back