diy solar

diy solar

Here is my planned Solar Equipment purchase for my TuffShed - Thoughts?

Fargonaut

So I have spent much more time watching Youtube videos than I should admit, thanks to Will Prowse who is, in my opinion, the BEST resource! So after watching most of his videos and others, this is what I have decided to purchase, but I want everyone's thoughts so that I can purchase with confidence.

My Shed:
I have a TuffShed that was installed about 10 months ago. See the attached image for details on the shed. Also, see the proposed layout (top-down) of the solar panels on the shed.

Solar Purpose:
In no particular order, here are the reasons why I want Solar.
  • To power/charge the tools that I use in the shed. The largest draw will be from my Dewalt Compound Miter Saw (DWS779). It pulls 15 amps.
  • To power my backyard lighting system which is not yet installed. I want to use a low voltage system. BUT I have to use the 108W transformer. So I want to get your opinion on whether with the system below I can easily and efficiently run the lights with this 108W transformer. https://in-sider.com/collections/our-system/products/108w-transformer
  • To power a fan under a backyard pergola
  • To have backup power for a worst-case scenario. I know it won't run my house, but it can power an essential when needed.
Proposed Solar System that I've Picked Out:
Based on recommendations in Will Prowse video's, I decided to go for a 24v All-in-one system.

All-in-one: Solar Charger & Inverter
Batteries:
Once again based on Will's review of Valence batteries, I decided to try to get some used ones.
Solar Panels:
Lastly, I will have 4x 100watt panels. And once again based on Will's review I will be going for the following:
  • HQST 100W Solar Panel 12V Monocrystalline (x4)
    • I will be wiring these in series as well to have in effect: two 24v panels
This does not include cables yet, outside of that I think I have all of the safety built into the batteries and the MPP all-in-one that I need.

Questions and Your Thoughts?
  • This installation will be in my shed. I live in Albuquerque, NM, lots of sunshine but it is zone 7a so it does get cold in the winter. Low of 8 degrees. Will I need a heating pad for the batteries? I have not measured the shed but I assume it gives 10-15 degrees of warmth. Can I just insulate the box I put it in?
  • Did I make the right decision for 12v vs 24v?
  • This will cost me about $1,900. Is that a good value? Are there better options for a lower price?
  • Will it work well with the outdoor lighting system 108W transformer mentioned above?
Please feel free to tear apart my thoughts as long as you provide a reason and a good alternative. Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• Shed Solar Layout.png
    Shed Solar Layout.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 16
  • TuffShed.png
    TuffShed.png
    358.8 KB · Views: 18
How much for those batteries? The prices seem to be all over the place. How many amps are the transformer and lights actually pulling? I couldn't find any amp data in the specs.

Instead of running your dc lights from a transformer why don't you just run them straight from the batteries?
You lose a lot converting from dc to ac and back to dc again.

How much for those batteries? The prices seem to be all over the place. How many amps are the transformer and lights actually pulling? I couldn't find any amp data in the specs.
Hey Goosepower! Thanks for the response. I have not been able to get the amps for that transformer either. I will reach out to them to see if they have the detail.

it may be more how many lights I have plugged in. I’m not sure yet but I am guessing somewhere around 20 lights. But I need to pick them out as they have different watts.That’s probably a good next step.

As far as the batteries go, I am seeing them at $350+60 for shipping. So $420 each battery.

Instead of running your dc lights from a transformer why don't you just run them straight from the batteries?
You lose a lot converting from dc to ac and back to dc again.

Thanks for the question 45North!
Well, because it is a specific 108W that the lights need. How else would I get that to the lights except with the transformer? I agree it is inefficient to convert DC to AC back to DC, but what else would I use if not that transformer?

Does anyone have any other thoughts on this? I just want to make sure this sounds like a good and viable system.

Well, because it is a specific 108W that the lights need. How else would I get that to the lights except with the transformer? I agree it is inefficient to convert DC to AC back to DC, but what else would I use if not that transformer?
Cut the plugs off.

Do the lights need 108w or do they use 108 watts usually lights rated for the correct DC voltage will just use what they want and dont need to have a specific input. You can find almost any kind of light you need in 12v or 24v if you look hard enough.

What kind of lights are you looking at?

I am looking at these...

So you guys are saying I can cut off the plug and then wire directly to a battery? Even if I am going to wire the batteries in series?

if you have 12V lights and a 24V system you can either use a buck converter to convert the 24 to 12. Or you can put 2 12v led lights in series and power them from a 24V system . With your proposed system you will have loss converting DC to AC and then more loss converting AC back to DC

if you have 12V lights and a 24V system you can either use a buck converter to convert the 24 to 12. Or you can put 2 12v led lights in series and power them from a 24V system . With your proposed system you will have loss converting DC to AC and then more loss converting AC back to DC
Ok that makes sense. I'll look into the coverter. Thanks so much!

Back