diy solar

diy solar

Purchase considerations

loraine1971

I'm new to solar and am looking to have a grid tied system. My electric provider has a Monopoly in this area and they're the only provider I can use. Every stage of the solar project has to be pre-approved and signed off on by them before allowing me to hook my system into their Network. Everything has to be done by licensed installers and even the blueprints have to be presented to them by an engineering firm for approval before any work begins. That being said I got an estimate from a solar company which was $27,000 for 17 panels that will provide at minimum 75% of my current electrical usage 6.08 kilowatts During peak times with optimum weather it's been estimated to exceed that. Now I'm a newbie at all this stuff but I've done a little research and 27,000 seems really high for labor and panels and installation. I know it's going to be a bit on the pricey side because of all the permits and approvals involved in my area but I wanted to get y'all's thoughts on this and we greatly appreciate any insights or concerns that might be apparent to some of you seasoned solar veterans. Thank you for your time and patience.

I analysed my location and its potential and worked out with the max panels plus a battery I can go off grid 8 out of 12 months. You should be able to do better if you have space for the panels, where I am in Winter I only get 10% of the summer output. When I go back on the grid I only connect the amount of PV my local electricity supplier will take and so did it all DIY as it was under the permission threshold for UK of 3.68kw.

So if you have the space for the panels and do not have to pay for special installers and just use qualified electricians and no fees for signing off could you go off grid. As long as you disconnect all the PV, batteries you could still use the grid as a backup when there is a string of cloudy days..

I just spoke with the solar company and he said that if I went with a split level system I could have them install 10 panels now bringing the cost down to $18,000. I'm thinking that I could get up there and DIY the remaining panels myself after all of the electric companies approvals and hopefully no one would be the wiser. He also told me there would be a discount for cash purchases which is what I'm trying to do because I avoid debt like a disease.

GT PV hardware costs $1/W
Turnkey installed, $3/W

Based on Insolation calculator, you may get 6 hours effective sun in summer, 2 hours in winter. So a 5kW system could make 30 kWh and 10 kWh respectively.

Battery systems cost more, but in some cases a hybrid inverter can be included for above prices. Then just cost of battery itself. UL listed ESS may be required.

Is this going to be net metering, where you backfeed the grid and get a credit?
Another alternative, "zero export", might keep the utility out of your shorts. Permission to operate is still likely required, if the inverter synchronizes with grid and blends power with it.

A UPS type system which uses transfer switch to disconnect from grid when operating off PV/batteries ought to be doable without utility involvement. Include a battery charger e.g. Chargeverter for on-line UPS operation, keeping batteries charged and perhaps never having to switch.

Back