diy solar

diy solar

Hey we added a turbine to our all panel setup - short video

kanelr

Hi all. so this summer we did a storm damage replacement which ended with adding a new wind turbine and 4th charge controller. I extended the old wind tower from 52' height to 65'. Idea is for night time charging. We tried this 20 years ago with a pair of Air 403's and it didn't work so well, not windy enough. This 5 blade seems like so far so good in lower wind. photo collage and video is about a minute

IMG_3351.JPG

Last edited:
That's interesting. We're at the north end of a long SW/NE valley in the Appalachians and we get a LOT of wind at our location. Our water is pumped exclusively via windmill. I have toyed with the idea of adding wind turbines because we seem to have highest wind speed when it's cloudy, and it's often breezy at night. And we already have a 30 foot tower for the windmill. What has your average output been? And can you hear it? Some of the wind turbines I've heard generate a high pitch whistle that is pretty off-putting.

NOT yet. Just put it up yesterday. Lotsa steps and drama cause its off the road and we needed lifts etc. PLUS the MPPT controller that arrived is defective. So I will publish stats soon. HOWEVER so far- not noisy at all so far and its Southwest Wind Power predecessors were rather loud in gusts. I have it braked until we get the controller. I did a lot of homework selecting the unit, hopefully this will work out as planned. As soon as I finished putting on the nose cap, and we started away and down in the basket there was a small breeze, and surprisingly it went for it's first spin. I am looking for supplemental winter and night time charging so anything above maybe 200W is a bonus. Unit is 1000W
I just updated the. video and the link in the O.P. is fresh as of 6:30PM 12/4

diy solar

diy solar
Back