diy solar

diy solar

Hi from Queensland Australia

Bop

Solar Enthusiast
Waves hi, long time offgrid and gridtie installer, now semi retired from the Sunshine state aka Queensland, currently back offgrid again, hopefully for good (this is going to be my 'retirement home' for good...)

Nothing like having 40 acres of bliss (Aussie bushland) with kackleburras (Kookaburras, the laughing bird) and literally kangaroos that visit daily for a drink...

Home sweet home... (thats my place, taken from the road out the front by drone- half a kilometre from the gate to my shed, a kilometre to the back fence...
1706910114086.png
Wake up to these guys cackling their heads off...

1706910282345.png
And no- not kidding about the roos... thats in my driveway, about 5m from the shed...
1706910357632.png

Bop
;-)

In the Darling Downs west of Brisbakers...
(You probably heard about the Qld coppas being shot a little while ago, well thats 'relatively close' that happened about an hours drive from me...)
Scary- Where that happened was on the western side of a natural bushland area- I'm on the eastern side of it... (mind you a fair distance away)

The canopy looks wonderful from the drone. How much will you have to clear to get good access for your solar panels? We ended up building a "solar farm" in our pasture to avoid cutting trees down around the house. Of course, trenching for the wires made me eye a couple of trees with suspicious animosity.

We aren't trying to go off-grid so much as just NOT use grid power unless absolutely necessary - and even then - DON'T. :)

Building a remote home with the intent of being completely disconnected must take a lot of planning and hard work. I'm eager to learn of your progress and decisions you make.

The canopy looks wonderful from the drone. How much will you have to clear to get good access for your solar panels? We ended up building a "solar farm" in our pasture to avoid cutting trees down around the house. Of course, trenching for the wires made me eye a couple of trees with suspicious animosity.

We aren't trying to go off-grid so much as just NOT use grid power unless absolutely necessary - and even then - DON'T. :)

Building a remote home with the intent of being completely disconnected must take a lot of planning and hard work. I'm eager to learn of your progress and decisions you make.
The required minimum here is minimum 10m all around the structure (shed or house) of cleared, non burnable surface (so no trees or bushes within that 20m)- with a minimum of 2m around the base of the structure itself of inflammable material (gravel or concrete) after than 'manicured lawn' is acceptable up to the 10m...
So there is a pretty good clearance for sunlight anyway

This was the clearing for the shed, you can see the star pickets that marked the sheds corners (the shed itself is 9m x 21m

1708111290823.png
at the shed that leaves the ground mounts shadowed only for an hour or so of each morning and afternoon
(the panels right up the top were the ones from the 'camp site' and have never been hooked up, just dragged to the shed after the campsite was abandoned...)
1708111432711.png
I can easily drive a semi-trailer in circles around the shed...

The house itself will have the panels roof mounted for maximum height (ground level panels are a pain- need regular cleaning unlike roof panels- most dust is carried at less than a metre or so by the wind) and with its highset center roof (which will have the panels mounted on it), the east and the west panels will be basically at treetop height to begin with... north are lower, but there will be a larger yard in front anyway, so that makes the shadowing nonexistent on them...
Just gotta turn this

1708111769949.png
into this...
1708111809169.png
Those bushes are a nono in BZF rated area though... (and mine is the same 'colour scheme' as the shed...) and my 'front verandah' is a flat roof design stretching across most of the front to shade the two front bedroom windows from the sun ie from outside window edge on the left to outside window edge on the right and at a much shallower angle- basically the back will be just under the flashing above the windows at their edges, and the front pretty much at the same height as shown in the manufacturers pic...

Currently 6 of those 7 panels up above are running the caravan and the shed, 750w north and 750w west- that gives me about 7-8kwh a day, ample for the van and shed (the 4th panel on the north array is separate and runs a UV sterilising bulb and 'stirrer' water pump directly from the panel to keep the drinking water in the smaller tank fresh
Even on only 1.5kw of panels- I do all the cooking on electric, and run everything purely from solar
My total system, still sitting in the shed mostly, will have a total of 18kw on the houses roof, 6kw east, 6kw north and 6kw west, giving me almost 100kwh a day in generated power- and only cost me $17500 with a 12kw limit, against paying $42k for a 8kw mains connection from the street outside (restricted to only 8kw due to it being a SWER wire out there- decisions, decisions- under $18k for 12kw with no bills, or $42k for 8kw and (large and ever increasing) bills...(with regular blackouts...)- my driveway from the road out the front to the shed is 550m long (I can hit the state speed limit in the driveway in my tilt-tray lol- from a standing start at the gate...)- running lines to that from the street (totally at my expense) isn't cheap...
1708113518115.png

Tough choice lol
(see Post your ground mount thread) for more about the temporary setup

Is your "shed" becoming your house, or do you have to clear more land for the house and keep the shed? From the interior construction picture, I presume the shed is going to be your house.
Can you have a garden within the 10m no-fire zone? Do you do rain catchment or do you have a well? I think it's great that you're using solar to purify your drinking water.
So many things to consider when being truly off grid. {tip of the hat to you}

Nope- the shed will become my workshop when the house is finished (when that shot was taken- the shed had literally only just been completed, the house is a bit on the east side a bit closer to the road)- there is now another clearing about 100m further east with the house being built there (google maps is very slow at updating- it was only just before christmas that they updated it to that (which was literally just after I completed building the shed in the pic)- at that point the caravan was still outside and the boat was parked out the front of the shed- before christmas it still showed the block as it was prior to me building the shed ie I started that in 2020...)

Technically- a garden should be outside the 10m exclusion zone, but as long as the plants were 'ground huggers' ie not corn or anything tall it would be ignored... (it should DEFINITELY be outside that 2m total exclusion zone' though...)
Personally I would have it outside the 10m though...

(relatively closeby a few months back (before summer even started!!!) we had a major bushfire that threatened a town that had to be evacuated- over 60 houses and numerous sheds were destroyed and a couple of people lost their lives- we take bushfires seriously here...)
From that fire
1708204729389.png
To give you an idea of the size- those trees are pretty much the same height as the trees on my own place- about 10-12m high (30-40ft)- that fire had over 100 fire crews working on it and it burned for a week....
From the local facebook page, one of the aerial firecrews took this
1708204964115.png
The grey area was the burnt out area (in the end it was over 15km from side to side and nearly 10km from top to bottom was ashes...) the red was 'evacuate now- or you will die' and the yellow is 'be ready to drop everything and get the hell out' alert area- you are talking about a full hours drive from one side to the other... :-O
1708205192936.png

All tanks here are rain filled (I currently have 30000l/6500 gallons of storage at the shed, the house will have double that)- wells are non existent- the first water found in bores is 400m down and unusable for stock or humans- ag use only- the drinkable water is down between 800m to 1200m (thats 2600ft to 4000ft) and because of the undrinkable water and natural gas, the bores have to be fully cased their entire length- minimum cost is around $100k-$150k if you are lucky...

(in that fire alert- you can see a bunch of white 'dots' in a grid pattern on the northern side of the fire zone- thats a bloody massive gas field!!!- and yes the fire did actually burn into it- they had shut it down and everything held (alhough quite few wellheads suffered extensive damage, none failed thankfully- I would have heard the boom even from my place...)

There have been cases where peoples casings have failed, and you could literally turn on a water tap and light the water on fire!!!)

Wow! That fire is just... wow.

Thanks for the pics.

Sucks about water being so far below the ground. I guess you truck in water to fill your tanks when it gets low, eh? We do the same for propane here since we don't have access to natural gas utilities.

When you decide on/install your off-grid solar solution, please drop an update here for everyone to see how you did it.

Reactions: Bop
Wow! That fire is just... wow.

Thanks for the pics.

Sucks about water being so far below the ground. I guess you truck in water to fill your tanks when it gets low, eh? We do the same for propane here since we don't have access to natural gas utilities.

When you decide on/install your off-grid solar solution, please drop an update here for everyone to see how you did it.
There's enough rainfall in the 'wet season' (northern Australia has 2 seasons basically- dry season- 10 months of the year, wet season when it literally pours)- thats when the rainwater tanks fill for the rest of the year...
(in the drone shot of the shed, you can see the downpipes to the little tank from the 'leantop' roof, the main shed roof feeds the big tank (just kinda visible on the right)
1708391981543.png
That tank holds 22500L/6000 gallons, and If I stand on 'tippy toes' I can just touch where the roof of the tank starts to curve over to meet the walls- the back gutter in that shot is 5m off the ground (16 1/2 ft)

Trucking water is to be avoided- if I use my own tilt-tray and the 4 IBC's I have- its $14 per IBC at the council yard standpipe for 1000L/260 gallons- thats $56 a load (plus fuel and my time)- and to completely fill the tanks would be eight trips and $450 in water alone... plus close to another $100 in diesel for the Mercedes... (I like the Merc, it looks smaller than it is- 8 tonner/18000lb payload- you can put a crewcab ute on its back without taking up all the tray lol)
1708392475915.png
A lot of people think its smaller than it really is- I can't see into the cab standing outside- this is a full sized shovel and a 8ft ladder i use for cleaning leaves out of the strainers on the big tank next to it for scale...
1708392606271.png
Yeah but nah....

Last edited:
(ground level panels are a pain- need regular cleaning unlike roof panels- most dust is carried at less than a metre or so by the wind)
But if they are ground mounted you can check connections easily and also clean of the snow.!!

But if they are ground mounted you can check connections easily and also clean of the snow.!!
I chose ground mounts for similar reasons. While I don't need to worry about snow cleaning, I do have to worry about bird droppings!

Also, and this may wear off over time, I do enjoy walking amongst my arrays and gaze at that which I have constructed! I also heard somewhere that roof mounted panels tend to run a bit hotter and their efficiency could be affected.

Finally, I got bi-facial panels, so... ground mount was the only way to go.

My panels are in 4 arrays and they are on different axes. One array is set to get early morning SSE so max power when the house is waking up. One array is set more to the west to get the evening rays best.

Back