diy solar

diy solar

Homemade low temperature cutoff

Ekard

Has anyone made a homemade low temperature shutoff for their solar charge controller?

My system:
Batteries: 2 each 200Amp VRLA gel cells in parallel (not in series because my inverter take 12 volts)
Charge Controller: Renogy Rover Elite 20A (input limit of 256 watts solar for 12 volt systems)
Inverter: Renogy 3000 watt Pure Sine Wave (12 volt only input)
Panels: 2 each Harbor Freight 100 watt in series (17VOC/5.56A short circuit)

Notes for (hopefully non-existent) keyboard commandos:
- yes, I know I am using lead acid batteries. You don't know why I chose them, but I need them. And the manufacturer's data sheet puts minimum charge temperature at freezing, so that's why this question.
- yes, I know Renogy isn't the best stuff on the market, but I got stellar deals on all of it, combining Renogy's Black Friday pricing with Home Depot's 10% veterans' discount. (you don't need to thank me for my service, rather I thank you for paying me to live in Europe for 9 years, and having a retirement check and $600/yr healthcare since I was 38 years old).
- yes, I know I could upgrade the charge controller, but not really interested in spending an infinite amount of money for a little system that's basically going to run lights and battery tenders for my tractors inside a shipping container a few hours per week.
- yes, I know I have Harbor freight panels. The pair cost less than $100, and currently charge my Bluetti EB150 at 185 watts in the winter time.

OK, I think I pre-responded to all the potential OT comments, so let's get to my question.
The battery spec sheet says "thou shalt not attempt to charge the battery at below freezing temperatures", so I'm taking this as gospel. Thus, I need a low temperature cutoff on the output of the solar charge controller, and a heater of some sort to keep the batteries from reaching sub-freezing temperatures (the batteries will have a small bit of insulation, probably R1-R2). I also realize that batteries produce heat whether charging or discharging, and that their tremendous thermal mass will take a long time to cool below 32F regardless of ambient temperature.

I've found some 12 volt, stick on RV tank heaters that turn on at 45F and off at 68F (9 degrees cooler than optimal battery operating temperature, but close enough). The tank heaters draw 78watts, so (78*2) /12= 13 amps, which I'll round to 15 amps. I also realize I have 200 usable amp/hrs out of this battery bank, so 200/15=13.3 hours of continuous operation. I don't believe my battery heaters will be cycling very often, but that remains to be seen.

Now the question. Which of the two options do you favor, and why? Or is there a reasonable alternative I missed? Spending more than $50 beyond what I have already is a non-starter.

Option 1: One train of thought is to just wire the heaters up and hope I don't have a week of sub freezing, snowy weather during which my solar panels won't produce enough energy to keep the batteries charged (I'm in a peak 5 hour solar zone).

Option 2: My preferred train of thought is to have a relay inline with solar charge controller to turn its output off when battery temperature is below freezing, using a $5 USD Aliexpress temperature switch with sensor. That handles low temperature charging issue entirely. Along with this solution, I'd set the solar charge controller's load port to be active only when charging current is present, then have that pick a relay to enable my battery heaters. Sure, it might take a couple of hours to heat the batteries, but let us remember that our panels still generate some output outside of the peak hours. I think this will relieve my anxiety of running the batteries down from trying to keep them warm 24/7.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
I’m curious how you will keep them charged if it gets below 48F, and you have little sun, and the heaters are running.

A big issue with LA batteries is ALWAYS needing to be fully charged. If you shut off the charging, and power heaters, with limited solar, or nighttime…

I mean, I just don’t see this working.

An extreme insulated area, tweak the heaters to ONLY operate from 32F to 34F, will limit the heat demand, and energy used for heating…
I wasn’t aware gel had issues charging below 32F/0C…

So the option #2 you will use relay to disconnect the output of the Renogy to the battery when temperature is below freezing which means the battery will no longer connected to the Renogy, but that will bad, per user manual: https://www.renogy.com/content/RCC20RVRE-G1/RVRE2040-Manual.pdf
If the solar panel is still connected but the battery is not connected then you have problem. The battery is connected first so the Renogy will detect the battery Voltage so it will know if it should run in 12V mode or 24V mode, then you can connect the PV panels.
So when temperature is too low you should have a way to disconnect the Solar panel from the input of the Renogy.
The Load port gets the power from battery, not from Solar panel run so the Load port will still function without Solar panels connected.

1674535405234.png

Thanks for a couple of good responses. How about this?
Option 3:
- Use thermostatically controlled switch to pick a relay on the solar panel side of the charge controller, such that if battery temperature is below 32F, the solar panel circuit is open.
- Add a voltage sensor on the solar panel configured to pick a relay going to the heat pads such that they are enabled only during "daylight".

So the option #2 you will use relay to disconnect the output of the Renogy to the battery when temperature is below freezing which means the battery will no longer connected to the Renogy, but that will bad, per user manual: https://www.renogy.com/content/RCC20RVRE-G1/RVRE2040-Manual.pdf
If the solar panel is still connected but the battery is not connected then you have problem. The battery is connected first so the Renogy will detect the battery Voltage so it will know if it should run in 12V mode or 24V mode, then you can connect the PV panels.
So when temperature is too low you should have a way to disconnect the Solar panel from the input of the Renogy.
The Load port gets the power from battery, not from Solar panel run so the Load port will still function without Solar panels connected.

View attachment 131261
I didn't read that manual but 6 times. Don't know how that escaped me when I put pencil to paper to sketch this out.

It's very unusual for GEL batteries to be charge limited below 0 deg C, 32F. The spec for Trojan GEL batteries I recently installed, indicated a working range, charge and discharge down to -20C, -4F. However there is a limit on SOC below 0C, 32F, SOC needs to be higher than 60%.

Could you please share the make and specific model of your batteries?

Something like this in the PV line? Disconnect the solar panels when below a set point, and divert the power to something else.
Something along those lines, but for much less than $250 hopefully.. For $800 I could get a 200 AH self heated lithium and be done with it, but I bought the Gels to give me the ability to do a little welding once in a while.

It's very unusual for GEL batteries to be charge limited below 0 deg C, 32F. The spec for Trojan GEL batteries I recently installed, indicated a working range, charge and discharge down to -20C, -4F. However there is a limit on SOC below 0C, 32F, SOC needs to be higher than 60%.
From the Renogy datasheet:
1674573203083.png
My $100 100AH Deep Cycle Walmart special can be charged below freezing, so I falsely assumed all FLA batteries could.

Last edited:
Something along those lines, but for much less than $250 hopefully.. For $800 I could get a 200 AH self heated lithium and be done with it, but I bought the Gels to give me the ability to do a little welding once in a while.
I just grabbed that as a concept example. I'm sure there are less expense alternatives out there.

Certainly agree, I’ve looked over several gel data sheets, and can’t find anything about low temp charging, but TONS about making certain sufficient charge exists to be certain full recharge is reached daily.
Rapid capacity loss from low state of charge without full recharge…

Be sure you focus on that goal.

If you look at the specification data issued by Renogy on the battery, there is a charge voltage graph for varying temperature, this clearly shows charging is possible below freezing. Charging a frozen battery would not be good, hence the recommendation from other GEL battery manufactures to keep the battery in a high state of charge at temperatures below freezing.
Renogy GEL.jpg
Renogy is a marketing company, evidence suggests their technical expertise is somewhat lacking .
Mike

Last edited:
Certainly agree, I’ve looked over several gel data sheets, and can’t find anything about low temp charging, but TONS about making certain sufficient charge exists to be certain full recharge is reached daily.
Rapid capacity loss from low state of charge without full recharge…

Be sure you focus on that goal.
Understood. I'll have a battery monitor, but don't think I'll have an issue. The behavior and consumption of the heaters is yet to be seen.
My typical load will be:
- 50 watts of lighting less than 3 hours per day, 3-5 times per week.
- 75 watts of Starlink, less than 3 hours per day, 3-5 times per week,
- 75 watts of laptop, less than 3 hours per day, 3-5 times per week,
- 15 watts of battery maintainer for OPE, 5 hours once per week,
- 100 watts of handtool battery charging, 5 hours, twice per week,
- a real occasional 15 minute or less welding session (gotta check my MIG box to see how much that pulls yet)
- occasional 1800 watt table saw session, 300 watt drill press session
- once in a blue moon cranking up some Skynyrd on the 1980s 300 watt class A Yamaha amp (until the police show up).

I'm in a 5 peak hour zone, and like I said in intro, my two cheesy HF panels charge my Bluetti at 180 watts (winter time, thrown on the ground) and I'll mount them high enough to be unobstructed. Let's be conservative, and ignore that I still get over 100 watts early morning and near dusk, and say I can expect 750 watt hours per day during peak time. I have 200AH usable (to 50% DoD), so I really don't think I'm in any danger.
And in case of emergency, I can hook a battery charger on the Bluetti and top the big boys up.

If you look at the specification data issued by Renogy on the battery, there is a charge voltage graph for varying temperature, this clearly shows charging is possible below freezing.
View attachment 131307
Renogy is a marketing company, evidence suggests their technical expertise is somewhat lacking .
Mike
And that confuses me. Renogy posts an operating range but shows this graph as well. I can believe both, but by which to abide? If I believe that the graph is fine to use, and the record low temperature in my area over the last 20 years was -14C, then I can believe I don't need to worry about heating at all. Or if I believe Renogy's stated operating range will give me the best service life, then I need heating.

I'd like to believe I don't need heating, but don't want to trash $600 worth of batteries.

Back