diy solar

diy solar

Hooking up 20 240 watt solar panels.

Robby1773

I'm getting 20 240 watt solar panels with a EG4 3000 watt inverter. My question is I know I have to do a series parallel on them but I want to make sure my math is correct. So I thought I would do two strings of 10. The calculator I use shows 304v and 16 amps. If I do that into to a Y mc4 will the inverter handle it? I've try both on my cheap system but there's not enough power to ruin anything. I will be adding another inverter to do split phase in the future. Any help would be appreciated.

The panels are
VMP 30.4
IMP 7.89
240 watts.
EG4 inverter is
3000 watts
500 vdc
48v 80 amp

I'm in Gainesville, TX about 8 miles from Oklahoma border. It's Texas so Temps can range from over 100 to under 20 in winter. Lol

You also need to protect the strings from each other so you don't catch one of them on fire. I have zero strings in parallel but my system is not the typical. I'm using 16 100v/30a SCCs. I'm 100% off grid so my system is designed around maximum redundancy.

I would calculate below expected lows, if the grand solar minimum continues, Texas could see much lower dips in the next 7-10 years or more.

I'm in Gainesville, TX about 8 miles from Oklahoma border. It's Texas so Temps can range from over 100 to under 20 in winter. Lol
Need to know maximum low temp to calculate VOC correction to see what voltage you can get away with.
How much below 20F?

We had one cold snap where it got to 8 degrees. But if the weather is normal it's usually no lower than 28

We had one cold snap where it got to 8 degrees. But if the weather is normal it's usually no lower than 28
I would use the record lowest temp as my calculation factor. One cold night can ruin your equipment if overvoltage…

I would use the record lowest temp as my calculation factor. One cold night can ruin your equipment if overvoltage…
OP, when you read Vsteh comment keep in mind that pannels produce voltage with virtually ANY light. The amount of CURRENT they make is dependent on sun intensitty, but virutally any light will have the panels making voltage.

Back