diy solar

diy solar

Hot Spot Energy ACDC Solar Mini Split - total failure

Benzimidazolone

I installed 3, 12,000 btu solar mini splits supplied by HotSpot Energy in 2017. These were DC units supplied by 3, solar panels each and would pull AC when solar not available. These were intalled in a beachhouse in the Bahamas. The interior units (evaporators) were mounted in the ceiling (as opposed to being mounted on the wall).

I have now replaced all of the units due to failure. 2 were replaced in 2022 and the last one just this month. The external units (condensors) corroded badly but that was somewhat expected due to the corrosive nature of being 'beachside'. The units were supposed to have extra corrosion resistance for harch environments (but I could put my fingers through the bottom of the condensors they were so badly rusted). We did some repairs to the internal units but after a couple of repair bills and repeated failures, it was just cheaper to replace the units. I also added a 12kw solar aystem to my roof and now use the power generated to service the mini splits through the main panel. My main electricity use is the AC. I never really measures the use of the Hotspot units but my bills seemed awfully high (ie $1000/month). With my new solar system, I now power almost 100% with solar. This is not a fair comparison because I have batteries and a lot more panels but I don't think the Hotspot units were very efficient (despite their extremely high SEER claims).
Bottom line is that I would not recommend Hotspot as a supplier of solar mini splits. Hotspot is not a manufacturer of the units (I assume they were made in China), therefore, I would recommend investigating any solar units carefully before purchasing.

diy solar

diy solar
Back