diy solar

diy solar

Hotspot meltdown Renogy panels?

Yurtdweller

Solar Enthusiast
Folks, I was a Renogy fan until very recently. I always got good support, until this year. I recently wrote to them regarding an issue with two of my panels. Initially, it was just some suspect back sheeting on this panel, but they replied to my request for assistance by claiming this damage was due to abrasion. We are far past that now. I would like your opinions. What is this damage called, and how likely is it to affect power generation? Is this very common? This is a Renogy 100 watt 100D-SS between two and four years old. I will have to check my records. This is, obviously, far less than the promised lifespan.

Attachments

• IMG_20211203_160144.jpg
    IMG_20211203_160144.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20211203_160200.jpg
    IMG_20211203_160200.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20211203_160243.jpg
    IMG_20211203_160243.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 11
Anyone claiming that damage is abrasion is lying and/or doesn't speak English as a first language.

Sadly, you are now in the support loop indicative of China based companies. Shit communication and "not our fault, it's your fault" tactics.

IMHO, just buy another 100W panel and be done with it. <$100, and your problem is solved.

Good luck.

Anyone claiming that damage is abrasion is lying and/or doesn't speak English as a first language.

Sadly, you are now in the support loop indicative of China based companies. Shit communication and "not our fault, it's your fault" tactics.

IMHO, just buy another 100W panel and be done with it. <$100, and your problem is solved.

Good luck.
I might. I've discovered it's two panels, actually. I have send a second request for support, and got a message that it's being kicked up the chain. We'll see. They've generally been very good in my support requests. Even replaced a cc that melted down, even though I was not exceeding stated capacity. Unfortunately, it melted again. Now I going to another brand for a cc.

Update: Received a reply from Renogy CS. They requested invoices and my shipping address. This seems like a good sign. I believe my earlier support request may not have had adequate photos. My new request had more details, including photos of the front of the panels, which was not initially included.

Back