diy solar

diy solar

House side of Solis Inverter not showing anything

Stratto

Hi All

I hope you can help. I have just had a system installed and it is generating and battery is charging however the house side of the inverter is not ouputing anything help appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1650.JPG
    IMG_1650.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
The image shows only 180 watts from the Solar and it is all going into the battery.

If you want to charge from the grid that has to be enabled in the storage mode settngs

The image shows only 180 watts from the Solar and it is all going into the battery.
Yes, but in normal self-use mode the house should be powered before batteries are charged.

I see there is no arrow from house to grid. Check that the CT clamp is installed on incoming live and has been configured for grid in the meter placment config option.

You say it has just been installed... I'd call back the installers straight away.

Yes, but in normal self-use mode the house should be powered before batteries are charged.
No, with self use maintaining the battery to the selected SOC is first priority ( for all Solis Storage products ) from a recent manual:

Self-Use mode stores the excess PV power into the battery. If the battery is charged, or there
is no battery, the excess PV power will be exported (sold) back to the utility company. If the
system is set to not export any power, then the inverter will curtail the PV power (derate the
inverter output power).

Self-Use mode stores the excess PV power into the battery.
But surely "excess PV power" means what is over and above that needed to power the house?

If I'm not having a blonde moment, only 'backup mode' will ensure that the battery is charged to the Backup SOC - i.e. the percentage at which the system will make sure the battery does not fall below.

In self-use mode, the Solis should power the house from PV and/or battery if needed. Then any excess in house consumption will charge the battery until it reaches its max SOC, with any excess being exported.

I'm not aware of a "self-use" mode that charges the battery to a given SOC rather than powering the house.

I'm not aware of a "self-use" mode that charges the battery to a given SOC rather than powering the house.

I own a pair and if below the target SOC programmed when selecting the battery installed, battery is priority #1 for the solar energy, just as the manual states.

And yes, exported by ohms law will first be consumed by the home, if that is met then out to the grid if within the allowed sell values for power are meet.

I own a pair and if below the target SOC programmed when selecting the battery installed, battery is priority #1 for the solar energy, just as the manual states.
What "target SOC"? The only SOC settings that I know of for normal Self-use mode are Overdischarge SOC (Stop using battery) and Forcecharge SOC (Battery is too-low - charge it a bit from grid).

The normal priority for PV is Load, then Battery charge, then Export.

What "target SOC"? The only SOC settings that I know of for normal Self-use mode are Overdischarge SOC (Stop using battery) and Forcecharge SOC (Battery is too-low - charge it a bit from grid).

The normal priority for PV is Load, then Battery charge, then Export.

It is the SOC set in the Backup menu, which defaults to 100% and is an independent feature of what is really only two functional storage modes, Self-Use or Feed In Priority.

Now before you say that is for backup only, it isn't. When this Reserve SOC trigger is set to anything but 100%, and even if you select Backup mode, the inverter switches to Self-Use mode and uses this Reserve SOC ( when less than 100% ) as the trigger to start a charge, and if charge from grid is not selected, solar goes first to the battery.

By default for Backup / Self-Use ( using the default 100% for Reserve SOC ), when the reported SOC by the closed loop battery is 98% ( or less ) it will charge to 100%. This is done to prevent overcharging the battery ( like 99.8% to initiate charge as was done when I found this issue)

This is for the 5G HVES and the new S6, the EU version should be the same code base but I can't say for sure as I don't have the EU version.

One thing I don't like about this is it will cycle from the Reserve SOC value to 100% once triggered, so if for example one wants to have a maximum SOC of 95% it will only cycle for 95 to 100% every time it hits the Reserve SOC.

The developers in China only test in the lab and are Siloed from even support, it took me a 3 month effort to get the issue addressed and I had to Work from both Solis and BYD to get traction on this.

I spoke to Solis today who picked up the problem with the home usage not showing and mentioned the CT clamp as he said if all the produced is going to grid and nothing to house the battery will not discharge it will fully charge and not get used. So I played around with the CT clamp and now the house is showing usage and battery is discharging as it should. My IHD was showing a minus usage as it should when you are exporting to grid.

The install company down south used a third party who are sparkies and not that technical so it’s a battle. I am refusing to pay them until it gets looked at properly or HIES will get a call. Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 9
It is the SOC set in the Backup menu, which defaults to 100% and is an independent feature of what is really only two functional storage modes, Self-Use or Feed In Priority.
Ah, right. I have seen that one and thought it was only useful for backup mode. I couldn't see anything I would use it for, so haven't looked at it in detail. Thanks.

Now before you say that is for backup only, it isn't. When this Reserve SOC trigger is set to anything but 100%, and even if you select Backup mode, the inverter switches to Self-Use mode and uses this Reserve SOC ( when less than 100% ) as the trigger to start a charge, and if charge from grid is not selected, solar goes first to the battery.
Interesting, thanks... so am I correct with the following understanding?:-

If the Backup SOC is set to 100% it has no effect on self-use mode. Self-use mode will first power the house, then any excess will go to charge the battery and only excess power generated that exceeds the house load and battery charge current will be exported. (i.e. this is the mode we are familiar with).

But, if the Backup SOC is set to any other value than 100% then Self-use mode will first charge the battery to this specified SOC, then once that SOC is reached, PV power will power the house with any excess over the house usage will be used to charge the battery beyond the backup SOC (to 100% presumably?) and only excess over the house load and battery charge current will be exported.

When the SOC is 100%, the battery is never charged, SOC must be below 98% to initiate a charge cycle, at least that is how it works with the 5G HVES and is based on my data / presentation I provided to BYD / Solis the firmware updates released in 2021.

Again, there is really no "backup" storage mode, all backup means is it will work to maintain an SOC of 100%, if any other SOC other than 100% is reported, the inverter will cycle from the Reserve SOC value ( or 98% whichever is lower ) to 100%.

The only mode that prioritizes grid sell is Feed In Priority and that will sell all of the battery energy to the grid down to the Overdischarge SOC.

This is why there is the TOU options to control time and current values limits which works for ALL modes or better said is the top priority over all other triggers / thresholds.

I can see why this is confusing those new to the brand, but it does allow almost complete control on how the battery is charged and discharged.

The only issue I see is my "view" on backup would be to maintain an SOC, for example set to 95% to minimize wear on the batteries, but with the Solis logic, that is not an option but can be pseudo done using the TOU options close enough by controlling duration and current of the charging window once initiated.

Again, there is really no "backup" storage mode, all backup means is it will work to maintain an SOC of 100%, if any other SOC other than 100% is reported, the inverter will cycle from the Reserve SOC value ( or 98% whichever is lower ) to 100%.
Hmm, in that case, I suspect our UK firmware is somewhat different to yours as we do have a backup mode (not that I use it). On my Solis RHI model we have 5 modes to choose from:-

(italic entries are from the Solis manual)

5.6.6.4 Storage Mode Select
There are 5 working modes available.
1. Self Use Mode
2. Feed in Priority Mode
3. Backup Mode
4. Off Grid Mode
5. EPS Mode
Only 1 mode can be enabled at the same time.
Please refer to Appendix 9.4 for explanations and setting instructions for each mode.

And the detail for self-use vs. Backup mode is:

Mode 1: Self-Use Mode Logic(Maximize the usage of PV)
PV Power Using Priority: Load>Battery>Grid

Mode 3: Backup Mode Logic(Keep the Battery at a certain SOC and only use it
during power outage)

Backup Mode Logic: Keep the Battery at a certain SOC and only use it during power
outage.
Backup SOC Setting Range: From Battery “Overdischarge SOC” to 100%
PV Power Using Priority: Battery>Load>Grid

Backup mode is listed as an option, but used the Reserve SOC value.

The UK version of the RHI came out first by 2-3 years, and for example has multipliable TOU time windows where the US version only has one.

Still having issues battery would not charge the CT clamp is on negative ac feed to the inverter small consumer unit pointing towards the feeds to the inverter. It was on the positive side pointing away towards the meter but no flow was showing and battery would not discharge. I am still waiting for the installers to get back to me.

The usual location for the CT clamp is on the main Live wire coming in to the house, either just before or just after the meter. The arrow on the clamp should point towards incoming supply, away from the house.

The usual location for the CT clamp is on the main Live wire coming in to the house, either just before or just after the meter. The arrow on the clamp should point towards incoming supply, away from the house.
The ct clamp is on live ac to feed inverter in loft going in to small added Solar consumer unit arrow points towards inverter

Attachments

• IMG_1696.jpeg
    IMG_1696.jpeg
    666.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1697.jpeg
    IMG_1697.jpeg
    680.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1698.jpeg
    IMG_1698.jpeg
    756.4 KB · Views: 5
The ct clamp is on live ac to feed inverter in loft going in to small added Solar consumer unit arrow points towards inverter

Yep... that is wrong... and why I said in my posting on Tuesday "Check that the CT clamp is installed on incoming live and has been configured for grid in the meter placement config option"

Yet another installer that is 2 brain cells short of a GCSE :mad:

I finally got hold of them installers and they also confirmed it’s in the wrong place the cable from the meter to ct is too short to put it in proper place cut it I guess so they need to send a new one and an engineer to fit it in the proper place.

Back