diy solar

diy solar

How accessible do batteries need to be?

rmcrowe

I am concocting a plan where my batteries (4s280ah + chargery) would be mounted behind my power distribution center in my tt. There is sufficient room there and the space is otherwise wasted (imagine 2500rl). The only issue is that if I need to get to the system I will need to dismount the power center and move out of the way, probably take 20 minutes to do this.

My question is how safe/practical is this? How "set-and-forget" is this system or am I heading to a problem? The location otherwise is perfect as it is close to the distribution center and also about 3 feet away from where I plan to put the multiplus (which will be accessible).

Thanks for any advice,

Bob

Maybe just to be safe install battery disconnects where you can reach them and ensure you can shove a fire extinguisher nozzle in there quickly if needed.

Thanks @mjbeam , yes definitely will have accessible battery disconnects. Easy to port a hole for extinguisher as well - that's a good idea.

Question on the chargery:. How much service do these need in real life? Can everything you need to do with it be performed from the front panel? Or is there any reset function that requires shorting wires or such? (If so could I just install a momentary switch that is accessible?)

As long as you have the Chargery to read cell voltage then there is no need for immediate access to the batteries.

Back