diy solar

diy solar

How can I make this 600w Safer?

i do not understand why you put in serie a 60A and a 75A fuse.

i do not understand why you put in serie a 60A and a 75A fuse.
You're refering from battery to SCC correct? Initially I used just a fuse, I now put the breaker as an easy disconnect. If you have a reason why not I'll study. Maybe I should make my breaker 75a and the fuse 80a?

Last edited:
You're refering from battery to SCC correct? Initially I used just a fuse, I now put the breaker as an easy disconnect. If you have a reason why not I'll study. Maybe I should make my breaker 75a and the fuse 80a?
Either one or the other, no need/sense for both a breaker and a fuse in the same line. If all the breaker is being used for is a switch, use a real switch.

Looks nice.

Will you be putting a pre-charge resistor on your inverter disconnect?
1581892004144.png

With the pre-charge circuit, you can turn the switch to one for a second to pre-charge the capacitors on the inverter, and then turn the inverter full on.

TURN ON:
1)Confirm Inverter Switch is OFF.
2)Turn switch to ‘1’ & count to two.
3) Turn switch to ‘All’
4)Turn ON inverter.
(It does not need to be switched to ‘2’, but it does not hurt if it is.)

TURN OFF:
1)Turn Off Inverter.
2)Turn switch to OFF

Notes:
•The switch can not get to ‘ALL’ or ‘2’ without going through ‘1’
•The pre-charg resistor will be mounted on back of the switch.
•Even if the user does not pause on ‘1’ the inverter capacitors will probably be adequately charged.

With the pre-charge circuit, you can turn the switch to one for a second to pre-charge the capacitors on the inverter, and then turn the inverter full on.

TURN ON:
3) Turn switch to ‘All’
4)Turn ON inverter.

TURN OFF:
1)Turn Off Inverter.
2)Turn switch to OFF

Notes:
•Even if the user does not pause on ‘1’ the inverter capacitors will probably be adequately charged.
This is really helpful, spelling it out step by step I'm slow.

TURN ON:
3) Turn switch to ‘All’
4)Turn ON inverter.

TURN OFF:
1)Turn Off Inverter.
2)Turn switch to OFF

Notes:

Oh, so the resister circuit and the direct circuit are in parallel and the electricity prefers the path of least resistance.

Oh, so the resister circuit and the direct circuit are in parallel and the electricity prefers the path of least resistance.
Kinda yes. Once the switch is in the Both or 2 position, the voltage across the resister will be nearly zero, so the current through the resistor will be nearly zero. I say 'nearly' because the direct path will have a very small resistance creating a very small voltage.

I do not have a 'built' one on hand but you can see how the resistor can be glued into the back of the switch and hooked up between the '1' and 'Common' posts.
1581894203303.png

TURN ON:
3) Turn switch to ‘All’
4)Turn ON inverter.
Ok, this may not work in all cases. On my AIMS inverter, the caps don't accept (pre-charge) until it's turned on. When you turn the unit on, THEN the caps charge. Until it turns on, nothing happens. So in your example and config, moving the switch to position 1 will do nothing on my inverter. I would have to:
move the switch to Pos 1
turn on the inverter
move switch to position 2
turn on A/C load.

What specs for the resister?

For a 12 volt system, I have been using a 3 ohm 25 watt Resistor: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H5GBF2D

However, I have been thinking about going to either a 6 ohm 25Watt or a 3 ohm 50 Watt. The reason is this: If someone were to leave the inverter on and the switch in the pre-charg position, a lot of current could go through the resistor for an extended time.
(Since I have a few of the 3 ohm 25W, I might just do two of them in series.)

The lower the resistor, the faster the precharge will happen, but the higher the current in a 'bad' situation.

Having the inverter on with the switch in precharge can not be good for the inverter, but at least the resister would be properly sized for the wattage it would be drawing.

For a 24 volt system, I would go with a 6 ohm 50watt or a 12 ohm 25W

On my AIMS inverter, the caps don't accept (pre-charge) until it's turned on.

Are you sure of that? Some of the inverters talk about 'soft start' to minimize current surge, but that is on the output not the input. Every inverter I have used has the on-off switch after the capacitors. (They don't want to deal with the surge either ☹ ).

Are you sure of that? Some of the inverters talk about 'soft start' to minimize current surge, but that is on the output not the input. Every inverter I have used has the on-off switch after the capacitors. (They don't want to deal with the surge either ☹ ).
Pretty sure. When I get a chance, I'll review it and run a few tests.

For a 24 volt system, I would go with a 6 ohm 50watt or a 12 ohm 25W

Unfortunately this is still to low if you want to be able to handle the switch left on the precharge position as 24 / 12 = 2 A and 2 * 24 = 48 W.

Even if you put a 12 Ohm 50 W or 24 Ohm 25 W resistor you'll have to mount it on a heatsink as in free air this type of resistor can only dissipate about 1/3 of their rated power (and that's at incredibly high temperatures too, usually 200 °C).

diy solar

diy solar
Back