diy solar

diy solar

How "clean" is my solar power?

Holy #$%@!!! That worked! I don't have a bench grinder handy, so I plugged in a moderately sized heater and turned it on. The washer ran through all cycles like it was freakin' supposed to! I gotta try it again just to make sure it wasn't some sort of fluke.
Well... A heater doesn't do the same thing as a large flywheel, but a win is a win, however it works!

I just wanted to thank everyone who chimed in and helped me with my problem. I don't like it, but now I have a work-around that seems stable. I may in the future sell off this washing machine and get an older model, which seems like a better fit for my power situation.

I just wanted to thank everyone who chimed in and helped me with my problem. I don't like it, but now I have a work-around that seems stable. I may in the future sell off this washing machine and get an older model, which seems like a better fit for my power situation.
Now you just need to find the smallest additional load that makes it work correctly.

Now you just need to find the smallest additional load that makes it work correctly.

Just as soon as I get done building my wrap around deck, and the painting the interior of the house, and of course putting in the flooring, did I mention that I'm also doing some fire mitigation work?

And the beat goes on. Ya the beat goes on...

All inverters have to be derated at higher altitude, some of them just don't mention it in the manual

Wonder if there is any de-rating at that elevation.
it's not an combustion engine taking in oxygen. Electric works the same if you are on sea level, on a mountain or in outer space.

The lower air pressure should have miniscule effect.

Derating for inverters, and other electronics at higher elevations is due lower air density decreasing the amount of convective cooling provided by fans and heat sinks. With decreased cooling inverters will reach there temperature limits at lower power outputs, then would at lower elevations where they can be cooled more efficiently.

This is a problem I've read about with newer washing machines. They have what is basically a three phase motor and thus need electronics that run it. The non-linear draw causes the inverter waveform to go lopsided and then the washer throws an error.

If you can, just for experimental purposes, run a bench grinder on the same circuit while starting the washer. I've had success with this method starting difficult loads on an inverter before. The grinder acts like a flywheel to smooth things out.
Thanks I will try that.very interesting.

Back