diy solar

diy solar

How "clean" is my solar power?

What is derating?
If an inverter is rated for 6000w at sea level, and has a 20% derating at 8000ft, then at 8000ft it will only be able to output 4800w.

These are example numbers, idk about your actual inverter. The manufacture would be the only place to get that info

I just tried to run it solely on the generator, and it is even worse! At least when using the inverter power It would start the wash cycle before it quit. Using the generator, it wont even start the wash cycle.

What generator is it, does it produce clean power ?

What model washing machine do you have?!?!?!?! ?

If it's a top-loader with a single-speed induction motor and transmission in it probably needs a soft-start to manage LRA maybe a bigger run capacitor to keep reactive loading in check. An inductive AC motor in a washing machine would be a pretty savage load for a high frequency inverter to start up, regardless of inverter rated surge amps, due to their huge startup windings sized to do their job under load. That motor also stops and restarts several times throughout the cycle as the transmission switches between oscillation and high-speed spin, as well as evacuation pump engage/disengage. Start of the spin cycle, for example, would have both high-speed spin and evacuation pump engaged before starting the motor.
I think most front-loaders have variable speed DC motors, those would have almost no startup surge and put no positive reactive load on the inverter. Guessing it's not one of these since it's having issues.

This is my first thought. Usually inverters derate at that high of elevation
I thought we are talking about an inverter, not a gas powered, non-turbo charged, engine.

Maybe I clicked on the wrong forum?? :rolleyes:

What generator is it, does it produce clean power ?

What model washing machine do you have?!?!?!?! ?

The generator is a Champion, dual fuel, 9750 watt. It's noisy as all get out, but it has done a great job for us over the last couple of years. The washer is a GE Spacemaker, model number GUD27GSSM2WW.

If an inverter is rated for 6000w at sea level, and has a 20% derating at 8000ft, then at 8000ft it will only be able to output 4800w.

These are example numbers, idk about your actual inverter. The manufacture would be the only place to get that info

I just did a quick search on derating, and the only thing that I can find is that inverters will derate due to temperature. At higher altitudes the air is thinner and has less cooling capacity, thus causing the inverter to derate. Interestingly, I was told by a guy who has been messing around with solar for a couple of decades that I should put a window in my shed to allow sunlight in to create a bit of a greenhouse to warm it up inside. I had thought that this was for the benefit of the batteries because when they get cold they do not hold as much energy as when they are warm. The number that I seen is that batteries operate best at 77f.

Sorry, I'm getting off track here. I work from research, not from practical application, so my information is quite often.... wrong.

If it's a top-loader with a single-speed induction motor and transmission in it probably needs a soft-start to manage LRA maybe a bigger run capacitor to keep reactive loading in check. An inductive AC motor in a washing machine would be a pretty savage load for a high frequency inverter to start up, regardless of inverter rated surge amps, due to their huge startup windings sized to do their job under load. That motor also stops and restarts several times throughout the cycle as the transmission switches between oscillation and high-speed spin, as well as evacuation pump engage/disengage. Start of the spin cycle, for example, would have both high-speed spin and evacuation pump engaged before starting the motor.
I think most front-loaders have variable speed DC motors, those would have almost no startup surge and put no positive reactive load on the inverter. Guessing it's not one of these since it's having issues.

Interestingly, older washers utilize a transmission to change what the cycle required (agitation, spin, etc.) while newer ones, like mine, the motor handles all of the duties. Imagine what is going on when the machine agitates. The motor is changing direction of spin every second or so!

The generator is a Champion, dual fuel, 9750 watt. It's noisy as all get out, but it has done a great job for us over the last couple of years. The washer is a GE Spacemaker, model number GUD27GSSM2WW.

As far as I'm aware any generator of that size should be putting out good clean power, at least clean enough to run a washing machine

Try it again on the generator BUT add another separate continuous load (eg 2kw electric heater ) that might help stabilize the current

If this fails, I think there's something wrong with the washer ? ?

This is a problem I've read about with newer washing machines. They have what is basically a three phase motor and thus need electronics that run it. The non-linear draw causes the inverter waveform to go lopsided and then the washer throws an error.

If you can, just for experimental purposes, run a bench grinder on the same circuit while starting the washer. I've had success with this method starting difficult loads on an inverter before. The grinder acts like a flywheel to smooth things out.

As far as I'm aware any generator of that size should be putting out good clean power, at least clean enough to run a washing machine

Try it again on the generator BUT add another separate continuous load (eg 2kw electric heater ) that might help stabilize the current

If this fails, I think there's something wrong with the washer ? ?

Ok, I'll give it a try.

"...I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good..." - General Beringer, "Wargames"

This is a problem I've read about with newer washing machines. They have what is basically a three phase motor and thus need electronics that run it. The non-linear draw causes the inverter waveform to go lopsided and then the washer throws an error.

If you can, just for experimental purposes, run a bench grinder on the same circuit while starting the washer. I've had success with this method starting difficult loads on an inverter before. The grinder acts like a flywheel to smooth things out.

I think my head just exploded... I'll give it a try. I'm sure that my wife would be ok with handling a bench grinder in tandem with the washing machine ;)

"...I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good..." - General Beringer, "Wargames"

Sounded funny for a second there, but apparently it's all about air pressure & cooling
There are a lot of factors that come into play
Yes, it is essentially absorbing any regenerative power.

Holy #$%@!!! That worked! I don't have a bench grinder handy, so I plugged in a moderately sized heater and turned it on. The washer ran through all cycles like it was freakin' supposed to! I gotta try it again just to make sure it wasn't some sort of fluke.

Back