diy solar

diy solar

How do I ground a 12v battery and an AC inverter?

bob1

Hello I am starting off with a very simple system right now without a solar panel. It is just a standard 12v battery and 300 watt 120v inverter.

system.png

What I want to know is how to properly ground the system. Do I connect the ground wire from the AC inverter and connect it to the negative terminal on the battery? Would it work to connect it to the ground outlet to the house? Which method is preferred? If I take it outside, how do I "ground" it if not the battery? Do I need to buy a wire attached to a metal pole and stick it in the ground?

Last edited:
Generally no ground is needed unless connected to utility power. Same as a portable gasoline generator.

Generally no ground is needed unless connected to utility power. Same as a portable gasoline generator.
But many inverters have a ground terminal and car batteries are grounded to the car chassis, so why wouldn't you need to ground them?

A vehicle usually has ground wires attached to the body / frame as the vehicle is basically a ground and it saves in wiring costs.

. However; if the inverter and battery are basically a stand alone system thus it doesn't require the grounding of the vehicle.

The chassis ground is for a permanent install. Yes if you bolt everything down in the van etc. the chassis ground terminal should have a separate #8 ground wire connection direct to the metal vehicle frame. Some inverters do not like to be grounded and need to remain with a floating ground (unbonded). Instructions should have some information.

I'm using a car inverter and it has no manual. It just has a ground terminal on it. The sales rep said the ground should be connected if not using the cigarette lighter.

Since I won't be using it in a car, I'm wondering what it should be attached to. I'm assuming it should be attached to the negative terminal of the battery since if there is a live wire touching the chassis then we should want the electricity to flow to the negative terminal instead of through us, and the BMS on the battery will detect the short circuit and shut off instead of melting the battery.

But on the other hand, I've never heard of any portable power stations having a ground terminal.

Last edited:
Do not connect the chassis ground terminal to anything except the vehicle chassis if mounted permanently. Never connect direct to the battery.

Only the DC power input terminals should be connected to the battery. Plug the small items into the inverter direct without worry.

Only shock hazard will be if the power cord to the appliance is damaged. This is the same as at home where even having the ground will not unilaterally always protect a person from getting a shock.

Do not connect the chassis ground terminal to anything except the vehicle chassis if mounted permanently. Never connect direct to the battery.

What would happen if you connected it directly to the battery? Isn't the car chassis a low resistance conductor like a copper wire?

What would happen if you connected it directly to the battery? Isn't the car chassis a low resistance conductor like a copper wire?
the chassis sometimes have good conduction between two random points, but there are common situations where the resistance is kind of high between two spots

Back