diy solar

diy solar

How do I revive dead dewalt 18650 cells

gideonzook

have a few Dewalt battery where 1 row of cells measure .5 volts other rows are 4.10 volts. is there any way to charge dead row of cells?

You can get an 18650 cell charger, preferably one that can charge at 0.1A or lower.

The chances of you recovering any cells is EXTREMELY low.

I personally have this charger:

And use it regularly for 18650 and AA/AAA NiMH charging. It can go as low as 0.1A.

It also measures internal resistance. While it may not be accurate, it is good for comparison purposes, i.e., you'll want to use cells with very similar resistance values when assembling a battery.

Do not attempt recovery if any of the following occur:

1) Heat - good cells should not produce much heat at all when charged to full. If you're below 4.XV, and the cells are more than just slightly warm, probably bad.
2) Cells take a long time to get above 3.0V.
3) Cells that drop significantly from their charge voltage. If you charge to 4.20V, they should typically stay at 4.1X after a few hours.

I would encourage you to charge the healthy cells and measure their IR to use as a standard for comparison purposes, i.e., if the low cells behave differently than the 4.10 cells in any way, they're probably bad.

Back