diy solar

diy solar

How do MPPT SCC determine Amperage output?

Dustin Henderson

I have a 100/40 MPPT solar charge controller that I will be installing in a pre wired for solar travel trailer.
Assume for the sake of argument use cases of 200 Watts (Serial) and eventually 400 Watts (2s2P) of paneling, if it matters. Initial install will be 200 Watts serial, outputting ~5 Amps and ~40 volts.

My intention was to splice the controller in in the same manner as the manufacturer recommends, (i.e. between POS and NEG wires already run from the roof), albeit closer to the battery compartment instead of in the interior of the travel trailer. This would eliminate additional wiring, leverage the bus bars and fuses already installed, and leave a cleaner install of less cables directly to the battery terminal. There is ample room in the under storage and battery compartments to do this and the pre wire from the roof gland has been confirmed and is conveniently located for this. (Note, There will be a disconnect between panel and SCC.)

HOWEVER, It occurred to me that the fuse natively installed for this pre wire is a 30 AMP fuse, and it is somewhat more difficult to change out given how and where it is installed.

So the question is:
How does an MPPT SCC determine Amperage output, given the relatively moderate input my panels will be providing? Would it ever try to push more than 30 AMPs?
Secondarily, Should I just go through the contortions and hassles of upgrading their 30 Amp fuse to a 40? It would be a physical challenge but is possible.

Third, should I just by pass the natively wired cable after the SCC and install my own fuse and cable directly to the battery terminals? This will start to crowd the battery compartment but could be done. (Follow up, if I go that route, should I attach the Negative cable to battery as well, or run it to ground as the pre-wire doers.)

I hope the context of the question makes sense.

Last edited:
Hah, I just realized I basically asked this question a couple months ago:

Not sure I got an answer however.

How does an MPPT SCC determine Amperage output, given the relatively moderate input my panels will be providing? Would it ever try to push more than 30 AMPs?
Assuming your battery is not full and your SCC thinks it needs to charge:

solar watts available / charge voltage = charge amperage (up to amp limit of SCC, 40A in your case)

So 200W / 14V charging = 14.2A charging.

Some SCCs allow you to throttle the SCC charge amps (i know Victron does).

Assuming your battery is not full and your SCC thinks it needs to charge:

solar watts available / charge voltage = charge amperage (up to amp limit of SCC, 40A in your case)

So 200W / 14V charging = 14.2A charging.

Some SCCs allow you to throttle the SCC charge amps (i know Victron does).

To confirm, you are saying an SCC can not "up convert" to higher amperage than incoming wattage and outgoing voltage will allow in accordance with the mathematics of Watts Law.

Makes complete sense. I will look but I don't THINK the RNG SCC allows throttling.

(I know, it's a basic question, appreciate the education)

you are saying an SCC can not "up convert" to higher amperage than incoming wattage and outgoing voltage will allow in accordance with the mathematics of Watts Law.
An MPPT is designed to accept a wide range of voltage from solar and convert it to YOUR specified voltage. The MPPT will attempt to produce the maximum amperage at charging voltage as the solar input wattage allows (and limited by SCC design capability charging amps).

Back