diy solar

diy solar

How do you keep your batteries from moving?

idylle1150

I'd like to secure my batteries either in a plastic battery case or using tie downs. I don't want to build a wooden battery box

What do you use to keep your batteries still?

I use gravity. It's an antiquated system, but it works ?

My banks are sitting on cement board on a steel storage rack.

Are these in a boat, truck, camper or are you in earthquake or tornado country?

Ratchet strap around the battery bank connected to a secure support would probably work.

I built a compression fixture and fastened that to the floor of my RV under the bed.

Last edited:
Strapped in packs of 8 with 2" filament tape, then bound them together with Kapton tape.

Attachments

• Strapping.jpg
    Strapping.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 21
  • New battery.jpg
    New battery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
What type of batteries are we talking about? I recommend against straps, although I have used them. A bar across the top, with long threaded bolts or similar in each end of the bar. Not unlike how a battery holding in many cars works. The battery should not be allowed to move at all, and whatever form of securing needs to be able to hold it if the boat is inverted.

For an LFP battery built from cells, usually there is some sort of compression frame, and in the construction of that frame you can add brackets, such that the battery just bolts down to where ever it is.

If the battery is FLA, you need to contain the acid in a box that is not damaged by acid. That is more difficult to do than it sounds. A wooden box that is fiberglass on the inside works. And they sell plastic boxes that "work" but it is quite difficult to secure the batter such that it can't move. You are more or less restricted to using straps. Use big strong straps with metal brackets. Don't use the straps that come with the plastic box, which are useless.

Cells with silicone spacers between cells, fiber taped together and polyurethane rubber potted in. Divider contains rubber from bms space. Powers a trolling motor in an aluminum bass boat. This won’t move (or ever come out ?)IMG_0982.jpegIMG_1077.jpeg

I use gravity. It's an antiquated system, but it works ?

My banks are sitting on cement board on a steel storage rack.
You will find out how well gravity works when the boat is hit broadside with a wave and list 90 degrees.

You will find out how well gravity works when the boat is hit broadside with a wave and list 90 degrees.
Who said the application was a boat.

They are actually for a experimental single seat electric aircraft. ???

VELCRO.

I mean the heavy duty stuff. That shit is strong AF. You don’t need much of it but if you cover even 30% of the bottom of your battery, it’s going to be strong. Cover 50% for rock solid and 75% or more if you’re paranoid. Then maybe a lightweight strap for a backup/additional peace of mind.

2 ea 1” cargo straps with 1” oak end boards for light compression. Over 200kWh like that. Off grid 19+ Mo. No problems.

I compress the cells. Then strap the compression plates down with jackstay webbing to eye bolts. The webbing is tensioned with 150kg dyneema cord

Your batteries MUST BE ABLE TO MOVE, or the aircraft will leave them behind when it takes off. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Well...
From the frame of reference of the floor of the plane, the batteries can remain motionless.
From the frame of reference of the galaxy... movement is pretty much required...

Back