diy solar

diy solar

How does a 140 pound weakling hang a 140 pound inverter?

Hedges

I See Electromagnetic Fields!
When I hung my original 2.5 kW SWR-2500U inverters 17 years ago, I was probably stronger and they were only 75 lbs. I was able to carry them up a stepladder and hang them head high. Taking them down to upgrade was doable, but difficult

When I hung 75 lb transformerless 10000TLUS under the deck, those weren't too bad.

But how does a 140 pound weakling lift a 140 lb. Sunny Boy 5000US inverter?

140 lb.jpg

Unloading a pallet of these from my pickup (same with pallets of Sunny Island and 405 Ah 6V AGM batteries) wasn't so difficult. With a dolly and ramps, and rolling boxes off the top so I never lifted more than half the weight, it wasn't too bad. I was even able to stack the boxes two high once inside, tilting them end over end up a box staircase.

But lifting more than knee high was too much for me. Vendor recommendation was to slip a 3/4" pipe through vent holes and do a 2-man lift. My step son and I carried one that way, but lifting head high and hooking on the bracket proved too difficult.

So I once again used an engine hoist and straps, as I did for the Sunny Island. Straps through the deck boards lifted inverters below.

hoist through deck.jpg

For inverters on the outside wall beyond the deck, I used the pipe shown as an extension so boom reached beyond the hoist's legs. A few sandbags at the back made sure it didn't tip over.

hoist extension.jpg

Once at the right height, I gave it a push and lifted with my knees to get it on the bracket.

inverter under deck.jpg

Nice one. I recently picked up a block and tackle for lifting up the front end of my ride on mower and it could have done something similar for your lifting job.

diy solar

diy solar
Back