diy solar

diy solar

How important is it to ground a portable propane generator?

spendlove

I saw some other posts on this forum talking about grounding mounted solar panels, but what about a small portable generator? Should that be grounded as well?

Any best practice thoughts? Bearing in mind the ground rod/install would also need to be portable?

Any best practice thoughts? Bearing in mind the ground rod/install would also need to be portable?
Hi, i would look at and read the generator installation manual. There is usually a grounding method explaination and depiction. If so follow it explicitly.

One thing to do is use a multimeter to check continuity between the generator chassis and its ac output ground terminal. If they are "common" or connected to each other you will have confirmation of that. If thats the case, you need do nothing but connect it to your quarters. Your ac and dc systems equipment will have common ground and as long as you are not mixing around with utility power, you have suitable grounding.
There is usually a lug provided on the generator chassis for a ground rod "GE" or ground electrode conductor. Certain hardware makes the bond impervious to corrosion over a long period of time, if you clamp it just make certain its reliable. Stainless star washers and through bolt with a ring terminal. Make the wire size suitable to carry the possible current from the source. It cannot yield at least until well past all the breakers opening

#10 minimum for 30a. Not sure of your generator voltage or if you are going to deploy it remote from the rv. Flexible outdoor sunlight resistant rated wire.

In utility interactive or utility supplied services the electrode and proper connection to it serves as a reference for ground or zero voltage potential. Do not connect anything across the imbalance of the potentials, must have suitable ground. Absolutely do not violate this except in a safe load!

In a battery based system, battery negative is "ground" and serves as reference and is source. Some systems require isolation.....
vehihcle systems and standalone renewable energy systems, like radio station power supplies will use a ground electrode as a lightning protection (EM sheild) and as a shunt worst case.
it will also dissipate charges from particles and waves driven over your conductive materials.

dc negative is good lightning protection., still if you have a generator or array out on length of conductors it could get nailed by lightning and a grounding network can help.

For portability a bunch of short rods or even wire fencing could be used along with wetting.
You would have to test ground conductivity with an uncommon instrument though in order for the effort and material outlay to ensure safety.

I run the battery as reference and em sheild and solid equipment bonding isolated from earth ground like a vehicle or RV. Way less complicated. I dont say to do it.
But i also run radio equipment and antennas on towers and have confidence in em sheilding from dc negative ground. Because i have no confidence in total protection from lightning, it is what it is and billions of vehicles are spread about without being in extra

In a utility power system the ground is reference and return. So if you are plugged into "shore" you are on their ground electrode amd just need to be sure your vehicle chassis is bonded to a common ground within its power systems.

Last edited:
Concept 1 grounding
Concept 2 neutral ground bonding
Concept 3 ground fault isolation/residual current detection

Stuff I found interesting while I researched this stuff...
Neutral and ground are bonded at the service entrance so that a ground fault has a low impedance path back to the transformer.
If the ground fault current can't get back to the transformer via the neutral(very dangerous situation) then it will go via the grounding rod.
And it may not go directly back to the transformer's grounding rod.
It may also go to your neighbour's grounding rod and back to the transformer via their neutral ground bond.

I've never grounded a portable genny, and probably never will. Unless I get killed, then I'll start using one. :)

There are times when you should ground them, and also times you shouldn't ground them. And I can never care to remember which is which.

I've never grounded a portable genny, and probably never will. Unless I get killed, then I'll start using one. :)

There are times when you should ground them, and also times you shouldn't ground them. And I can never care to remember which is which.

Last edited:
As always and i forgot to mention. You will want to find out the relationship of neutral ground bond. You will need to assure it is in only one place in the system. Transfer switching usually accomplishes this. Sometimes its at the generator (manual and meter) and some inverters cannot tolerate the bond and will go into protection shutdown....

As always and i forgot to mention. You will want to find out the relationship of neutral ground bond. You will need to assure it is in only one place in the system. Transfer switching usually accomplishes this. Sometimes its at the generator (manual and meter) and some inverters cannot tolerate the bond and will go into protection shutdown.

When i was 16-17 years old we framed houses and used portable ac generators for power. We would get zapped occassionally in the rain.... people thought it was funny. Knowing what i know now, its luck that conditions didnt kill someone occassionally too!

No way. Bond all equpment properly and ensure your supply cable insulation sheath is intact and weather tight. Genny covered and raised off the ground to protect from rising water etc.

When i was 16-17 years old we framed houses and used portable ac generators for power. We would get zapped occassionally. Knowing what i know now, its luck that conditions didnt kill someone occassionally too!

No way. Bond all equpment properly and ensure your supply cable insulation sheath is intact and weather tight. Genny fo
"Everything" should be grounded.

What do ships ground to?
The sea..... and or the battery depending on the system being "grounded".
The ship is epuipment and the generators and battery system is the source, thats where the ground is referenced.

Back